Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

NC Property Tax

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Seener84
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Property Tax

Can anybody give me a little insight on the rate and process for property tax in NC? I moved here recently form KY and bought my bike new just before I moved so it is titled and registered in KY. Am I going to have to pay a whole year of property tax? Is the rate any different because of my circumstance? I am living in Forsyth county also in case that matters.
Thanks for any help.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well.....

Ever hear the term "screwed pooch"? Well that would be you, at least this year anyhow. Just sayin. Welcome to the Carolina's!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,067 Likes on 346 Posts

I feel your pain. We moved here from TN (where I retired from the army) and when we got here....HOLY ****.

I think ya have about 30 days, then you'll have to register your bike in NC (along with gettng an NC drivers license). Of course, after paying tax and title fees. About three months later you'll get an "ad-volarum" tax (luxury tax) in the mail that will be approx 1% of the vehicles value, so a 16k bike will set ya back about 160 bux. SUX big time. Oh, but lucky us, we can use that tax on your end of year return, yaaay.

Oh, and don't forget about the yearly vehicle inspection.

For a southern state, NC is the most expensive....lucky us.

Same goes for your cages too.

fuggin taxes

Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

speener84 I pay'd right at 50 bucks on a 05 standard glide a year, sold it, and 18 bucks on a 86 fxr. And i see you have been covered on the new to nc tax already.
glebo Didn't do your homework before moveing?? All my cost to live up here does not touch what i payed in florida for just house tax and insurance and that was before cost of homes went up. Both homes values are the same.

Last edited by hardluk1; 08-21-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose every state gets you one way or another. NC has both income and property taxes so states like FL make up for it in just having high property taxes. If you rolled it all up, I'd bet everyone is paying fairly close relative to the standard of living. Unfortunately, NC seems to have no clue how to effectively SPEND all my money. Roads suck and are always under construction, k-12 schools are at the bottom of the national barrel, and services get cut time and time again. On the plus side, the colors in the fall are awesome

Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardluk1
speener84 I pay'd right at 50 bucks on a 05 standard glide a year, sold it, and 18 bucks on a 86 fxr. And i see you have been covered on the new to nc tax already.
glebo Didn't do your homework before moveing?? All my cost to live up here does not touch what i payed in florida for just house tax and insurance and that was before cost of homes went up. Both homes values are the same.
No, this is mostly the only place I could apply "my skills". I was stationed here as a soldier for years, we didn't have to pay most of the taxes, just show them your federal pay stub (LES).

But it is VERY different when ya live here as a civilian.

But, very convenient, ocean on one side...mtns on the other...wooo hooo

Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

glebo Just pull'n your leg a bit . I moved up here from florida and do play a bit less when all bills are gathered up and added up. Now it might cost more in the flat part of this state. You near bertie couty,, darn good deer hunting in that area. But about as much work there as here. atleast the coast is closer.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

No, I'm down in cumberland county. Near Ft Bragg. I live far out enough from fayetteville (Grays Creek). So it is very quiet here, however they are building like hell.

Nice ridin' roads out here in the country, but not near as nice as the mtns. Gotta get back up there sometime this fall if I can.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Sig556
Cruiser

propery taxes on the coast are out-o-sight, be glad you live mid part of state.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Seener84
Can anybody give me a little insight on the rate and process for property tax in NC? I moved here recently form KY and bought my bike new just before I moved so it is titled and registered in KY. Am I going to have to pay a whole year of property tax? Is the rate any different because of my circumstance? I am living in Forsyth county also in case that matters.
Thanks for any help.

Each county has it's own tax rate, depending on how many people and/or business share the public burden
I'm in Wake County, my 2005 FLTR with 45k cost me $118.30, and the 1993 Ford Ranger with 120k ran $40.16 add $25.00 for registration.

At least you are in the middle of the state, with mountains and the ocen is an easy ride