Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Buying my first Harley.. need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 05:24 PM
Opiy
|
2nd Gear
Default Buying my first Harley.. need some advise

I just joined the military the begining of this week and I plan some time after boot camp and maybe schooling to buy a new bike. It will be my first one and I have a small amount of time on motorcycles. I know how to ride one but thats it. No real experince from time.

I grew up here in Al. and live in Bham now so I figured posting here would be ok.

So far I am looking at the Dyna Wide Glide - Saw this one at the local harley shop in pelham yesterday and it was just amazing looking to me.

I have seen some of the non-classic Springers that I am really liking also

And the other I was considering was the Softail Standard

Now I don't really know what to look for or how to even know if I think the Fit and Feel of the bike would suit me.

Any advise would be awesome.

BTW my name is Larry and this is my first post here. Nice to meet you

LOL I don't really know enough to know what to ask but so far those are the 3 bikes that I am liking just by looks.

Old 05-12-2006 | 06:37 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Buying my first Harley.. need some advise

First off, [sm=welcomesign.gif] and thanks for your service!

I would suggest that you find a dealer near where you end up being stationed and try and rent/ride as many of the different models you are interested in. Also, go ahead and take the MSF course, it's worth every penny.

Attend as many bike nights and rallies near you as you can and ask questions. We love to talk about our bikes so don't be shy.

Lastly, keep yourself safe.

Semper Fi,

Rick Hammer

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:29 PM
blowe
Tourer

Larry welcome to the forum.I live in Bham as well.

As for choosing a bike it really depends on what you plan to do with it.
Mostly around town riding? One day or weekend trips? Touring for a week or two at a time?

Out of the bikes you listed I would go with the Wide Glide.If planning on taking extended trips I wouldn't overlook the baggers.You see a ton of them on the road and there is a reason.They are comfortable one or 2-up, ride and handle very well,and have plenty of storage space.Those machines are built to pile up the miles.

Just take your time,look at all the models,and ride as many as possible before making a decsion.

Old 05-12-2006 | 09:36 PM
Opiy
|
2nd Gear

hambone - thanks for the welcome and its my honor to serve

oliver - I am looking more and more at the wide glide out of the 3.

I don't plan to do any kind of long distance trips. Just around town or maybe just joy riding for the day or following others around for a site seeing trip. Something like that.

With the motorcycle rental, do they let people rent that have very little riding skill lol? thats what worries me. Dropping it or something

I was told that the larger bikes like the wide glide would give a better ride because of its large size and weight. Plus im 6' tall and the longer forward controls and length of the bike is also whats making me consider them more than the sportsters.

Old 05-12-2006 | 09:55 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

First Off: Welcome to the Forum !!!!! this is a great place to hang out and learn alot.

Secondly: Congrats and Thanks for joining the Military. Im a retired Marine (26 years +)

Thirdly: I know the feeling of just getting out of house and making your own money and you and to do all the cool things you never could as a kid. Let me provide a lil insight to your new life once you get out of boot camp. Depending on branch or service and your age riding a bike much less owning one is a Privelidge that you first have to earn.

Forthly: With the deployment rate of all the Military Services now your life will be something like Boot Camp 3 months,move base for Follow on school 3 months to 2 years, then move to new base, deployed after about 6 months there for 6 months to a year. Home for 6 months to a year Deployed 6 months to a year, home 6 months to a year, deployed 6 months to a year. Move base, start home,det cycle all over again.

Fifthly: Your shipment base to base is very limited and usually not inclusve of a bike. And many your not alowed to bring POV's to.

So bottom line is save your money, start a allotment for $50 a pay check for your retirment bike. Get used to the Military Way of Life, pick up a used bike ride and learn the ropes of all the BS the military likes to play with bikers. But most of all be safe out there. Not sure of your experiace level and what service but I can tell you the #1 rising problem in the US Marine Corps right now is all these fine young men and women returning from Iraq with a pocket full of money buying Harleys and Rice Rockets and killing themselfs. Been through 2 here this year on this tiny base, and I know of about 20 others that is such a loss.

Sorry not all good happy happy joy joy but juts stright hard facts.

Old 05-12-2006 | 10:13 PM
Opiy
|
2nd Gear

I joined the Navy. Going to be a Seabee (CB)

I thought about getting a bike because I figured it would be easier to move around with me instead of a vehicle. I will be stationed in texas for my schooling but I don't know whats going to happen after that. I do plan to take every chance to go somewhere that I can. I thought trying to plan this out now would save me some time later. I guess I will know more once I start the schooling and find out all the rules.

Old 05-13-2006 | 12:33 AM
Wolhar
Banned

Welcome, to the Forum. GO NAVY! I would do Boot, then look at the purchase of the Bike. You got family to take care of it for you when ya gone?
ORIGINAL: Opiy

I joined the Navy. Going to be a Seabee (CB)

I thought about getting a bike because I figured it would be easier to move around with me instead of a vehicle. I will be stationed in texas for my schooling but I don't know whats going to happen after that. I do plan to take every chance to go somewhere that I can. I thought trying to plan this out now would save me some time later. I guess I will know more once I start the schooling and find out all the rules.

Old 05-13-2006 | 09:13 AM
Opiy
|
2nd Gear

Most all of my family is in Mobile Al. so I could give it to my dad or bro. Dad has alot of experience riding but its been some many years now since he had a motorcycle.

Old 05-13-2006 | 09:17 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

Opiy,

When you heading to boot? Odds are you will end up in Va or Ca after you finnish training. I know several SeaBees and most have more world travel time than I did and I had too much. If you get one to ride while your at home and you have family that take care of it then go for dude. But trying to lug a Harley around the world as a young Seaman not a wise move. Good Luck in your adventures. If you end up in Japan look me up yes we have SeaBees here actually all over Japan

Old 05-13-2006 | 10:43 AM
watdog
6th Gear

hello,

i'm an AT1 in the Navy. I will tell you this, get the MSF out of the way now, while you have the time. It can be a good intro if you are not familiar with riding. There should be some place near you that you could take the course and use one of the bikes provided. Alot of community colleges offer the MSF course. It is also a military requirement that you attend a MSF course. You can find a course near you at http://www.msf-usa.org/ Good luck on your entry into the Navy, it is one of the smartest decisions I have made in my life. I've been in about 11 years.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Harley.. need some advise