Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

New to Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
MossyOak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Virginia

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'll be moving to VA in Jul for work and looking forward to riding the area. Bought an 09 Fatboy while in Iraq, so it's still "fairly" stock. I look forward to getting out and meeting some of the riders from the area.

Last edited by MossyOak; 05-22-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
user45
Cruiser

Where are you going to be in VA? VA has many great rides in it, I think you'll like the scenic rides in along the mountains. Not quite the altitude and big skies of Colorado, but the by-ways of Virginia are some of the best I've ridden. If you moving into Northern Virginia, don't be discouraged by the insane traffic, your only about 50 miles from some great rides out west.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
troutphisher
Advanced

Welcome to VA. Its a great state that offers alot of great riding. What part will you be moving to?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
MossyOak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by user45
Where are you going to be in VA? VA has many great rides in it, I think you'll like the scenic rides in along the mountains. Not quite the altitude and big skies of Colorado, but the by-ways of Virginia are some of the best I've ridden. If you moving into Northern Virginia, don't be discouraged by the insane traffic, your only about 50 miles from some great rides out west.
I will be stationed at FT Lee in Petersburg, but will most likely be living in Chester.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
user45
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MossyOak
I will be stationed at FT Lee in Petersburg, but will most likely be living in Chester.

I'm located western Chesterfield, basically in the neighborhood.

Hook up with the H.O.G. Chapter at Colonial HD in Petersburg. Colonial HD is minutes from Ft. Lee and a great dealership.

Post here again when you settle in and are ready for a ride, we'll hook up.

There is also a great new Biker friendly resturant right up the rode from Petersburg in Chester called Steel Horse, check it out. It's owned by riders.
Steel Horse

Steel Horse
1920 W Hundred Rd
Chester, VA 23836

(804) 706-6600‎

Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM
MossyOak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by user45
I'm located western Chesterfield, basically in the neighborhood.

Hook up with the H.O.G. Chapter at Colonial HD in Petersburg. Colonial HD is minutes from Ft. Lee and a great dealership.

Post here again when you settle in and are ready for a ride, we'll hook up.

There is also a great new Biker friendly resturant right up the rode from Petersburg in Chester called Steel Horse, check it out. It's owned by riders.
Steel Horse

Steel Horse
1920 W Hundred Rd
Chester, VA 23836

(804) 706-6600‎
Thanks a lot for your help. I look forward to getting out there and meeting/riding with you.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:51 AM
GROWLNTA
Cruiser

Whats up brother... Im over in Richmond... Steel Horse is awesome bar... user45... any biker bars over in our area? Chesterfield or Henrico? Talons is closed... so what else is there

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the commonwealth. If you are at all into history there are some great rides in your area. I am down further south in Hampton, VA, but have spent a good deal of time in the greater Richmond area.

Here is a short afternoon ride you can do. Folks call it the Five and Dime. Not a ton of hills but you do travel through some nice country, cross the James on a Ferry, see Jamestown from the river and ride through Williamsburg. If you do this run and like BBQ, make sure to make a side trip to Pierces BBQ in Williamsburg. It is not at all a biker based eatery, but it is pretty good. BTW, if you are heading to the beach or anything on the south side during the summer 10 is the way to go, 64 is always a mess. Take 10 down and follow the signs to the James river bridge. Cross the bridge, jump on 64 real quick then get 664 south.

http://*******.com/five-dime
http://www.pierces.com/

Another trip I enjoy is riding out 60 and catching 56 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 56 is a road with tons of turns and a 25 or 30 MPH speed limit most of the way. The turns can be a little nuts, watch out for gravel washed out over the road if it has rained recently. 56 crosses right by Crab Tree Falls which if you are into hiking at all is worth a stop. Before you go for a little fun zoom in on the map I link to at 56 as it comes off the BRP. Tons of fun

Map to BRP via 56:
http://*******.com/o9gqb2

Edit: Ignore the little side trip to Buckingham on the last map, that was a side trip for me that is really not part of the ride. Also, riding down through the Outer Banks of North Carolina is fun as well, but a longer trip for you starting in Chester.

Last edited by overhead; 05-22-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
MossyOak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GROWLNTA
Whats up brother... Im over in Richmond... Steel Horse is awesome bar... user45... any biker bars over in our area? Chesterfield or Henrico? Talons is closed... so what else is there
Hello back. I noticed the crap you were gettin in one of the other threads. I give less then a damn what someone thinks of my bike. You have a sweet *** ride there and no one can say different.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
MossyOak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by overhead
Welcome to the commonwealth. If you are at all into history there are some great rides in your area. I am down further south in Hampton, VA, but have spent a good deal of time in the greater Richmond area.

Here is a short afternoon ride you can do. Folks call it the Five and Dime. Not a ton of hills but you do travel through some nice country, cross the James on a Ferry, see Jamestown from the river and ride through Williamsburg. If you do this run and like BBQ, make sure to make a side trip to Pierces BBQ in Williamsburg. It is not at all a biker based eatery, but it is pretty good. BTW, if you are heading to the beach or anything on the south side during the summer 10 is the way to go, 64 is always a mess. Take 10 down and follow the signs to the James river bridge. Cross the bridge, jump on 64 real quick then get 664 south.

http://*******.com/five-dime
http://www.pierces.com/

Another trip I enjoy is riding out 60 and catching 56 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 56 is a road with tons of turns and a 25 or 30 MPH speed limit most of the way. The turns can be a little nuts, watch out for gravel washed out over the road if it has rained recently. 56 crosses right by Crab Tree Falls which if you are into hiking at all is worth a stop. Before you go for a little fun zoom in on the map I link to at 56 as it comes off the BRP. Tons of fun

Map to BRP via 56:
http://*******.com/o9gqb2

Edit: Ignore the little side trip to Buckingham on the last map, that was a side trip for me that is really not part of the ride. Also, riding down through the Outer Banks of North Carolina is fun as well, but a longer trip for you starting in Chester.
Thank you for the ride plans, I will definitely check them out. The wife and I are very much looking foward to seeing the area on two wheels.

Quick Reply: New to Virginia