Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Suggestions on route to Flodida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you again for all the helpful suggestions. I will sit down and start to plot our route tonite. Anyone know how the gas situation is in SC, GA, FLA. We are having a hard time finding any gas lately here in NC south of Raleigh.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
Thank you again for all the helpful suggestions. I will sit down and start to plot our route tonite. Anyone know how the gas situation is in SC, GA, FLA. We are having a hard time finding any gas lately here in NC south of Raleigh.
I live here in south Florida and have not had or heard of any problems with any gas stations not having petrol.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen no problems in central fla. with gas.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
shootdr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shootdr
I go to the Keys several times a year. If you want an enjoyable ride and spend some time off the interstates, I would take 17 out of Charleston to 95 to 295 to 10 to 301. Take 301 down to Bushnell, Fl to 75. Take 75 to Naples and pick up 41, 41 will take you through the Everglades to the Homestead area. Pick up the turnpike to 1 to Florida City and the rest is just thought the Keys. It is a nice ride down 41 compared to Alligator Alley thought Broward and Dade Counties.
Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
Leaving Charleston SC on Sat. 10-11 heading for Key West, Instead of 95 any alternative routes . Kinda wanted a direct route though not interstate all the way ...thanks
I would add stay off the east side of the state. The congestion over there takes all of the joy out of the ride. As in my above post I was trying to get you over to the west coast where traffic can sometimes be a pain in the backside but not like the areas you will have to navigate over to the east. I just do not ride in that part of the state if I can avoid it. Also if you don't run some of the interstates you will never get there. I don't know how much time you have but you do not want to take 27 out of Ocala all the way thought the state. Oh and there is no shortage of fuel in Fl. that I know of.

Last edited by shootdr; 10-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

You the guy that was going to hommassa? Take 95 down to top of florida ,take a1a right to us-301south, Stay on 301 tilltill Ocala and then get on us-27/441. That road will go eather toward miami where you can pickup the turnpike or get on hiway 29 at palmdale. 29 will go to us-41 and turn east toward miami . At that point i will let you deside.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Initially we had planned on going to west coast but eventually decided against it. I was trying to minimalize my time on the interstate. But I do realize we will have to travel it some. Just thinking that at 75-80 mph, we won't be seeing a whole lot of the state. Kinda wanted to enjoy at least some of the ride. Thanks for the heads up on gas availability.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Most of the roads all have mentioned are good 4 lane 65 mph roads or in the more laid back sections good wide 2lane like hiway29 and us41, But the ride is worth it. us-29 when it gets down to i-75 near holywood/ft.luaderdale get pretty busy. If you go through immokelee gas there ,not much from there to maimi but well with in a tank run. May still be a station on the corner of us-41 and 29.

Last edited by hardluk1; 10-09-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Stay clear of the queer bars... The Keys are full of them...

Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

27 does have lots of traffic lights south of Clermont to Lake Placid, but if you're not in a hurry it is much better than the rat race on either coast. Definently take 997 to US1.
Plenty of gas here too. I seen 3.09 a gallon outside of Homestead this morning.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
pscorpio
6th Gear

While in Key West., for eats..Yes, Blue Heaven for breakfast is awesome..great Blueberry Pancakes, sit outside with the roosters! If you like Cuban or just plain delicious cooking, go to El Ciboney. Cheap, lots of food, quick service and you'll be happy you went. The fried half chicken is seasoned with Cuban seasoning and delicious. El Ciboney is near the graveyard. Also, Camilles has great French Toast with Fresh Strawberries with a white chocolate cream sauce....YUM! Can I come???????????
Make sure you go to Mallory Square at SunDown....everyone is there and loads of fun.
You'll see the sun set into the ocean. Have fun, enjoy the sights (people) and let your hair down, you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on route to Flodida Keys