Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Looking for suggested route for BRP ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Default Looking for suggested route for BRP ride

My wife and I are planning on a 2 or 3 day ride on the Blue Ride Parkway.
We would be leaving from the Charlotte, NC area.
I was thinking of heading straight up 77N to get to the Parkway quickly, just over the VA border and get on near Galax,VA.
Then spend the day riding south west toward Tenn.
The second or third day would be just getting back home to Charlotte with a more direct but still scenic route, hopefully avoiding major highways.
Anyone who has done this ride already who has any suggestions on a specific routes and or reasonably priced hotels and good restaurants etc along the way, I am open to all suggestions.........Thanks!!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a pretty ride. I went the other direction last month I camped by Fontana dam ,rode the dragon and I got on at Balsam by Waynesville, I rode north into Virginia, When I stay in a motel in that area the Microtell in Maggie Valley is where I stay. Affordable and clean. lots of resturants But Grannys in Waynesville is my favorite.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two closures on the BRP, one is for a rick slide on the road and another is for bridge work. you can go to the Park Service web site and navigate to the BRP pages and get all the info you need.
Ride safe!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:39 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I joined my HOG chapter yesterday on a ride to Little Switzerland. After we took the BRP to state road 181 down the mountain. The parkway was absolutely beautiful. Watch for slow moving cars and crotch rockets.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to make a stop at station Inn ,Around marker 250 ,it is where hiway 18 crosses the BR. You will probably detour through boone and back to the BR. From here it really startes the best of the BR from there south . Lots of great views and rock You can get as far as Mt. Mitchell and see it but have to come back to atleast Hiway 80 toward burnsvillenc detour to the asheville area to get back on. If the end of a day get you to around mt.mitchell there is a great bike friendly inn at LSD Little Switzerland Downtown . And several places in downtown burnsville form the Inn on the town square to the motel on west main . Maggie Valley still has till november Wheel Through Time to see and that is a must And if you want a good winding road other than the dragon you can go from waynesville to brevard on hi-276 i think . and from there start the ride home . I also live in the area ,give me a haller when near and i can most likely ride some. Check PM