Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

So called demo day at Charlotte HD, disappointing day for me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008 | 12:19 AM
karz10
|
Road Master
Default So called demo day at Charlotte HD, disappointing day for me...

So, I'm waiting on an insurance check to go buy a new, or used bike. I've only had one Harley, a Road King Classic, and since I was only now making friends that ride, I haven't been in a position to ride a bunch of different touring bikes before.

I mention my situation to someone at Charlotte HD about a week ago, and was invited to their demo day today. They gave me a flier to remember it.

It said:

Come see the line up of 2009 Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Demo rides 8 AM to 12 PM

Open house 8 AM to 5 PM
Vendors / Music / Food / Beverage

and something about a HOG poker run leaving from there in the afternoon... etc., I'm paraphrasing a little, but that's basically what it said.

So it's raining last night. Road's still wet this morning, but rain stopped, no call for rain anymore. I invite a couple friends, we drive 20 miles lets say to get there around 8:45 AM.

We ask if the demo rides are still on. They say they should be as long as the weather breaks. Asked what was available to ride, a list of a few random bikes, and he pointed out that it was a dealer demo day, whatever they had around the shop, not a harley demo day w/ 2009 models, they haven't hardly gotten any in.

I'm like huh? The flier clearly says see the 2009 models, and then gives times for demo rides. I'm just like whatever, we're here, if I can at least ride a fairing bike, at least it will be something different. So we mill around for awhile, there's no food or beverage, only coffee.

It's like after 11 and some of the 'vendors' start setting up, and the band is setting up. So we're asking if they're gonna do the demo rides, the shop guys say the bikes are ready, the parking lot and roads are dry, but by the time we get to someone of authority, they say they're not going to do any demo rides that day, but we can call and schedule some for another day.

So, we look around at the vendors that are set up now, around 12 PM, $3 lemonade, $6 food, $3 pizza slice.

So let me get this straight, no demo ride, no attempt to keep us informed of your plans for the demo ride, no food or beverage unless you want to pay carnival prices, basically no freebies whatsoever, why am I here again? Can't think of any reason, let's leave.

What a waste of time and gas to go over there. I'm sure they're nice people, but I just didn't feel like anyone was interested in my business there today.

I've already been in there a couple times recently, haven't seen anything on the floor that's caught my eye, no one's really taken an interest in the fact I'm buying a bike or what I might want. They're quick to give you a card if you want to buy a bike, they want you to buy it from them, but as far as any real conversation, it's worse than talking to a wall, since these people are moving targets that seem to have something better to do.

Been to *** and Speedway too, and haven't seen anything on the floor that I was real interested in, and didn't really spark any good conversation there either, as far as sales people go. Again, quick to give me a card, but that's about it, go back to talking to their friend or whatever.

Quite a different shopping experience than I'm used to. I was really looking forward to this demo day, and it totally bombed.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:43 AM
kenlovesmelissaj
Road Master

i know its a drive but go to carolina coast harley in wilmington , nc. their website is cchd.com the friendliest people ever. they act like you are the most important person in the world. especially chad windham ( the person who sold me my latest bike). they have testimonials from customers on their website, including mine. I always drive 2 and a half hours to do my business with them.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:46 AM
zuma
Road Captain

I was dissapointed also that there was no demo's. Did like the strongmaen and band. Unfortunately even in the Harley world there is no service, just take your money and forget about you. You can request to take a bike out for a demo on your own, just call. I know for sure *** will let you. By the way, you sure do like to type.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:56 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser
Default Savannah HD Customer Appreciation Day.....

It was worth going to this appreciation day... 20% off almost everything, free food and drinks, and a Hooters right across the parking lot. Good people here at HD.

Last edited by Aeromech; 02-09-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2008 | 11:14 AM
kenlovesmelissaj
Road Master

nice pics aeromech! btw my wife has packed the bags already for this weekend...lol

Old 09-28-2008 | 11:27 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser
Default Making my list....

So far looks like it going to be good riding weather. I'm not much for riding 180 miles in the rain, so if it looks like rain this weekend, I'm gonna puss out and truck my bike up.

Old 09-28-2008 | 01:16 PM
karz10
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by zuma
... By the way, you sure do like to type.
Yeah, I know, it's a gift and a curse. I never took any typing or anything, but over the years, my career took a path that required a lot of typing and apparently I was able to pick it up pretty easy, so I could probably give a lot of office staff a run for their money. Since I type so fast, I can type out my thoughts almost as fast as if I was having a conversation, so I don't really think about it. Then I look down and there's all these words down there, and I'm like, well, they're already there, might as well leave em...

At least you know there's thought that goes into my posts and responses, maybe too much detail for some, but it's like a grocery store, you don't have to buy everything on the shelf

Old 09-28-2008 | 04:51 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

kartz10 screw em I got the card too but had other plans Sat. Checkout Tilley's HD in Statesville NC.

Old 09-29-2008 | 08:08 AM
russl179
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kenlovesmelissaj
i know its a drive but go to carolina coast harley in wilmington , nc. their website is cchd.com the friendliest people ever. they act like you are the most important person in the world. especially chad windham ( the person who sold me my latest bike). they have testimonials from customers on their website, including mine. I always drive 2 and a half hours to do my business with them.
That HD place in Wilmington charges something like $2.00 for a freaking dip dot. Yep, that's friendly.

Old 09-29-2008 | 12:03 PM
kraa26
Intermediate

I went to Speedway harley on Sunday. I never looked at prices of the bikes since I have my 08. But I like the look of the 09 streetglide. The band they had playing was ok. I didn't know anything was going on, I just looked for a dealership that was open on Sundays.. I wanted a place to ride, and it gave me a chance to get out on my bike since it has been raining for days.

They had some good discounts on things on merchandise.