Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

S.C. motorcycle deaths up in 2007 CO

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S.C. motorcycle deaths up in 2007 CO

S.C. motorcycle deaths up in 2007 COL
COLUMBIA, S.C. --Motorcycle fatalities in South Carolina increased in 2007 compared with previous years, and a panel of bikers and law enforcement officials are studying ways to change state law to improve safety.Those changes aren't likely to require all riders to wear helmets, but could mandate that inexperienced riders wear them until they complete safety courses.In South Carolina, current state law requires only bikers younger than 21 to wear a helmet.Safety officials said there were several reasons for the increased number of deaths last year. They cited more inexperienced riders on the state's roads, heavier and faster motorcycles and fewer bikers wearing helmets.There were 120 deaths last year compared with 106 fatalities the previous year and 94 deaths in 2005.Less experienced motorcyclists get killed more often, said Ed Harmon of the Department of Public Safety.The task force looking at increasing safety is studying Pennsylvania law that requires riders to wear helmets unless they have either taken a motorcycle riding course or have a motorcycle license.Nearly 80 percent of the bikers who died last year weren't wearing a helmet, according to agency statistics."If we had a helmet law, it would save lives," said Max Young of the Department of Public Safety. "But there is that old argument about people not wanting Big Brother to tell them what to do."The National Transportation Safety Board issued a plea to states in October to enact mandatory helmet laws. Some 20 states have such laws.South Carolina legislators have in the past fought efforts to mandate helmets for all motorcyclists.
other to tell them what to do."The National Transportation Safety Board issued a plea to states in October to enact mandatory helmet laws. Some 20 states have such laws.South Carolina legislators have in the past fought efforts to mandate helmets for all motorcyclists.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S.C. motorcycle deaths up in 2007 CO

I wonderout of the 120 deaths how many bikerswere actually from SC. Lotta riders from other states come to SC. Do these stats show only SC riders. IF they are just a total from all bike accidents (In state and outta state riders)then this makes SC riders look to be higher risk than they really are. ALso in the biker stats how many were ran over by cagers, which adds to our problem making bikers look like the in experienced driver. no helmet in the world is gonna save your azz if struck by a non carring CAGER!!!! But will make stats(percentages) againt bikers go higher. Lordy SC is starting to get under my Skin now....

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jeeeez!!! so cars dont hit ya if you have had safety training......
thats like putting a dairy queen next to a dangerous intersection and making a pie chart graph that show every one that eats ice cream gets hit at intersections.....

Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
TMace
Cruiser

I live in Columbia, SC and the stats reflect all MC fatalities in the state no matter where the rider or riders are from. It also includes those ran overor caused by cagersnot just lone accidents.
And yea, there thinking is that if you have a safety course your not going to be ran over as they are supposed to teach you to be a better defensive rider, there rational not mine!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

the fatalities number is misleading in a way. percentages of several other variables should be factored in. i am a member of ABATE and they have some personel on the task force. for yrs SC have been trying to slip in the helment law with another bill.

i think pilot error could be improved with education.
everytime you stradle your ride there is a chance it'll be the last.
i'd like to go with my boots on but there is no rush.

when i ride, i decide

TN

Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
mopar
Cruiser

I can't understand how they can honestly say they're looking for a way to reduce motorcycle accidents and not discuss cell phone use in automobiles. I have been run out of the road several times by people on cell phones.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mopar

I can't understand how they can honestly say they're looking for a way to reduce motorcycle accidents and not discuss cell phone use in automobiles. I have been run out of the road several times by people on cell phones.
Because the politicians do it.....

Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There were 120 deaths last year compared with 106 fatalities the previous year and 94 deaths in 2005
Notice how they don't mention if the number of motorcyclists on the road increased. Using the numbers above, if there were 14 more riders on the road in 2007 as compared to 2006, there was no increase in the death rate.

I'll bet if you run the numbers, even though the number of deaths increased, the percentage of riders involved in a fatality probably decreased.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mopar

Yes cell phone drivers not paying attention to
driving running me out of my lane is very irritating
but the ones that really PIZZ me off on cell phones
running me out of my lane are the ones driving
cars/SUV's with Harley Davidson stickers in their
back windows! [:@]

Those drivers need to spend more time on their
Harley Davidsons and less time driving cars/SUV's
talking on their cell phones....... so they can find
out how us riders feel.....[:@][:'(]

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

Dumbest thing in the world we can do is walk around talking about how helmets don't save lives. It only makes us look so stupid that people then ignore anything else we might say that could be meaningful. Law or not, more people wearing means more people safer than they were. Talk about choice and rights, but stay away from trying to convince people (like hospitals and doctors who deal with the aftermath) that helmets aren't effective as part of the solution. The folks who ultimately will create or prevent laws are suits with law degrees, being influenced by non-bikers (the majority of the voting public). So imagine their perception of us riding around demanding loud pipes and saying that helmets don't do anything. They just ignore us. There's way more of them than us.

Quick Reply: S.C. motorcycle deaths up in 2007 CO