Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

NC Helmet Law Obey or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: NC Helmet Law Obey or Not?

Our Goverment doesn't give a crap about us and haven't for a very long time. The politicians are ****** to special interest groups and will sleep with the highest bidder.

Viva la Revolucion!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
360bikers
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If lawmakers try to create helmet laws for bikers because they are more exposed to the elements, the same laws should apply to those in convertibles. When convertible drivers (with top up or down since it's just a piece of cloth on most) are required to wear helmets, I will have to point out that without proper reinforcement, even a hard-top can put the driver and passengers at risk. Yes, I will support the helmet law when it's for ALL vehicles, not just singling out bikers.

However, I have another solution for safety problems in America. Let's outlaw automatic shift. That will eliminate enough drivers to make the highways safe for everyone that can still drive. THAT makes just as much sense.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

We rode without any problems today, although I did see one NCHP staring (maybe he likes Harleys) but he kept going. Only time will tell..

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Jenkins1849
Banned

I am going to wear what I want to. I think everybody else should do the same and I also saw in one of the post that somebody said they puta DOT sticker on there novilty helmet I would recomend taking that off I ama firefighter and familer with NC laws and if they stop you they can charge you with a felony if they want to. I personally wear a black novilty helmet and that is what I am going to contiune to use.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jenkins1849

I am going to wear what I want to. I think everybody else should do the same and I also saw in one of the post that somebody said they puta DOT sticker on there novilty helmet I would recomend taking that off I ama firefighter and familer with NC laws and if they stop you they can charge you with a felony if they want to. I personally wear a black novilty helmet and that is what I am going to contiune to use.
You have got to be kidding me, a possible FELONY charge for a DOT sticker on a novilty helmet? Haven't heard of that before, but I don't doubt it. If the corrupt panty waist politicians in Raleigh reallywere concerned with FELONY'S they couldbegin the clean up detailarresting themselfs. My guess is they're too busy countingour taxmoney and dreaming of ways to wasteit or funnel it into their own bank account.
I agree with you, I'm gonna keep wearing whatI have, and if I get a ticket I'll go to court and fight it.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

Thats veryinteresting!! A Felony....Instead of looking for Illegal helmets maybe our goverment should focus on looking for ILLEGAL Immigrants!!!!!Its just another way for our goverment to get a little more money out of us so they can fatten up their bank accounts.. People not from our country have morefreedom than US citizens.... Something is WRONG with this picture!!!! This is an election year , lets do one thing to them they cannot control, VOTE them the hell out!!!!!!!! I`m on a roll now, Who in NC will stand up for biker Rights? I wanna let them know they have my vote and a lot more. We need to let all NC gov. know we are pissed off and are gonna do something about it THIS Year.... I dont let problems I dont know about bother me but the ones I do worry the hell outta me and I`m not the only one who is like this , so its our duty to get the word out or stop complaining about your rights being taken...ITs time we take a Stand!!! Pass the word around the more who wanna do somethign the better..Sorry I ranted so long I guess the more I think about the way things are the madder I get...

Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have got to understand, there is less bikers then illegals in this nation, therefore there is a greater voter base by allowing the illegals and getting rid of the bikers.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's even more fustrating - I have a new Harley half-helmet. Has a dot sticker, but does not have any internal label with any standards the helmet meets (ANSI, etc.).

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone asked "why wear a helmet at all if you don't wear an approved helmet?". My response is fairly simple. I'm not trying to protest and I'm not trying to make a political statement. If I wanted to do that, I would wear no helmet at all. I'm simply trying to appear to be protected and still be comfortable. It's certainly not for protection although I still say something is better than nothing but I'm not stupid enough to believe that my novelty helmet is going to do a lot for me in a crash.

Now, to address the topic of the thread... According to the newspaper article printed here locally a few weeks ago, the new law defines an approved helmet as follows: there must bean indication on the rear of the outside of the helmet, placed by the manufacturer, that the helmet meets DOT standars, there must be a permanent indication on the inside of the helment, placed by the manufacturer, that the helmet meets DOT standards, the helmet must have a permanent strap and it must be in place while riding, and the helmet must have at least 1 inch thickness of polystyrene padding on the inside. There are 2 issues of concern I have with that. First, there are plenty of DOT approved helmets already out there and still for sale that do not have a 1" thick layer of polystyrene - so, are they compliant as long as they have the appropriate DOT approvals? Second, there are lots out there and I've recently seen plenty for sale - DOT helmets that have the DOT marking on the rear of the helmet but nothing on the interior stating they are DOT approved. Many of the ones I have seen are Harley branded helmets. Are they in violation or will they pass?

It's winter, it's cold, and I'm not riding much and, when I do, I'm probably wearing my DOT approved full face helmet anyway. I'm planning to keep my ears and eyes open to see what they are doing as far as enforcement and if/how the standards, as written, are being enforced. With that said, as soon as I find a DOT approved half helmet that meets all of the standards, as written, that I'm comfortable with, I will buy it and wear it as I see fit.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Mario77746
Road Captain

I only wear a DOT helmet if I'm going to be on a highway for an extended amount of time. Like Charlotte to Daytona. Too many cages that just don't care about bikers lives. Other than that I wear my novelty skull cap.

Quick Reply: NC Helmet Law Obey or Not?