Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 02:26 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008

I agree we all can read well a few of us can. the rest are still looking for a little sewn in tag that says "DOT" on it.
anyway here is why you can not remove the label and it still be a DOT approve helmet quoted from FMVSS 218. Removing the label would be a modification.
I would also agree with you I have looked at all of the figures and references to them and the actual state law and can find nothing about being one inch thick liner except the pamphlet mentioned before. I would assume cops are given training and handed the pamphlet and told to let a judge figure it out. so if I got a one inch thick ticket I would fight it.
as far as the governments health-care plan in the military it has nothing to do with the helmet regs. itis safety because of the cost of training. I mentioned the constitution because congress can pass anything they want with regard to and liberties when regulating the military.
S5.6 Labeling.
S5.6.1 Each helmet shall be labeled permanently and legibly, in a manner such that the label(s) can be read easily without removing padding or any other permanent part, with the following:
(a) Manufacturer's name or identification.
(b) Precise model designation.
(c) Size.
(d) Month and year of manufacture. This may be spelled out (for example, June 1988), or expressed in numerals (for example, 6/88).
(e) The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. This symbol shall appear on the outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least 3/8 inch (1 cm) high, centered laterally with the horizontal centerline of the symbol located a minimum of 11/8 inches (2.9 cm) and a maximum of 13/8 inches (3.5 cm) from the bottom edge of the posterior portion of the helmet.
(f) Instructions to the purchaser as follows:
(f)(1) "Shell and liner constructed of (identify type(s) of materials).
(f)(2) "Helmet can be seriously damaged by some common substances without damage being visible to the user. Apply only the following: (Recommended cleaning agents, paints, adhesives, etc., as appropriate).
(f)(3) "Make no modifications. Fasten helmet securely. If helmet experiences a severe blow, return it to the manufacturer for inspection, or destroy it and replace it."

Old 01-27-2008 | 07:22 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tlb

I agree we all can read ... or destroy it and replace it."
OK bro, the law sucks andwe interpret the statutes,the FMVSS, the constitution,and the rules behind the promised 100% health care when we enlisted different. Time to put it in the wind and let this one go. See ya on the road!
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-27-2008 | 10:15 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Well, maybe you can or maybe not, its all good.Your state anyway, I just find it interesting how people try and fault the law versus understanding it. Once it is understood, you can then take action within your state. It will not be long before everyone will have to wear a helmet anyway.
It pisses me off every time I look and see the TRICARE deduction from my retirement.
Have a good one, its been fun arguing with you.
ORIGINAL: Pric8779

ORIGINAL: tlb

I agree we all can read ... or destroy it and replace it."
OK bro, the law sucks andwe interpret the statutes,the FMVSS, the constitution,and the rules behind the promised 100% health care when we enlisted different. Time to put it in the wind and let this one go. See ya on the road!
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-30-2008 | 03:17 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

If one has to wear a helmet anyways I don't comprehend the beef? There are plenty of very attractive DOT approved helmetsthat areas equally useless like those non DOT novelty helmets? The cop enforcing the law didn't make the law, his job is to enforce it. I'd pick a better issue to stand down on like say...........a national concealed carry pistol permit.

Old 01-30-2008 | 08:36 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: badinfluence63

If one has to wear a helmet anyways I don't comprehend the beef? There are plenty of very attractive DOT approved helmetsthat areas equally useless like those non DOT novelty helmets? The cop enforcing the law didn't make the law, his job is to enforce it. I'd pick a better issue to stand down on like say...........a national concealed carry pistol permit.
Well you explained itpretty good. Now how does the cop enforce it when it is not cut and dry visually nor is it a standard meant to be enforced onthe consumer.

Old 03-06-2008 | 07:47 PM
rip
Advanced

can someone give me a link please where the nc assh....les say the foam must be one inch thick! not what somene else wrote but a nc link!! all i keep finding is what a friend and afriend interpreted!! thanks!!

Old 03-07-2008 | 05:30 AM
FLHTinILM
Advanced

Nope, no can do. It does not exist in the law. Not in the statue, not in the testing procedures.

The only place that it is listed is in a piece of fiction called "How to identify unsafe motorcycle helmets"

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...nsafeHelmetID/

This is what is being used to educate LEO's.

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:21 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer

Wow, this has been very informative. I'm not sure which Ispent moretime reading, the law or the posts.It seems obvious that the law does not require padding to be 1" in order to be compliant.

Although, there has been quite a bit of comment regardingreading ability, the salient pointis we interpret differently.

To me "approximately" (as stated in the methods of identifying) infers a nominal dimension. If this assumption is correct then 0.625" (5/8") can be construed as nominal 1” and therefore would be acceptable. 5/8" of course being the foam thickness of the DOT approved ACC helmet spoken of earlier on.

Bottom line would seem to be that the thickness of the foam is a non-issue. DOT approval is the issue.

Old 03-08-2008 | 11:35 PM
wildonenonly6969
Intermediate

I don't wear a helmet because I don't want to. If I'm in a state that says I have to wear one then I wear a novalty helmet with the most obscene stickers I could find so I really offend the a-hole behind me on his cell phone. I don't care what the laws or what bulls#% slap on the wrist I'm gonna get. The reason I do this isn't to be a rebel (even though that is why people rode bikes back in the day) or an outlaw, it's because I don't want on. Whatever you wear on your head doesn't define you as a biker, it's your view on life. Sorry if this sounds like I'm venting some frustration, but it really pisses me off when the government makes laws telling me I have to wear a helmet when they don't do sh%$ about the idiots driving around on there cell phones that almost hit me on a daily basis.

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:02 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

Will you NOT pay your helmet ticket because YOU don't want to? Just asking!

Quick Reply: New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008