Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007 | 05:25 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer
Default RE: New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008

Glad I saw this, been looking for 5 days now trying to decide which helmet to buy. I was gonna get a carbon fiberDOT with 5/8 inch padding $185. Whew I would have been pissed after seeing the 1 inch rule... Dot is Dot. As long as it is FMVSS 218 Compliant, how can they ticket anyone? making there own rules now!!! this is ridiculous. Least I do live close to SC, i can remove the bucket and ride free there......btw Chuck you say you didnt aim yoursmart azz remarkat anyone. BS!! you called everyone out who wears a Novelty helmet, candy azz wannabe. maybe I think your one just Saying....

Old 12-13-2007 | 05:42 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hawgnuttz

Glad I saw this, been looking for 5 days now trying to decide which helmet to buy. I was gonna get a carbon fiberDOT with 5/8 inch padding $185. Whew I would have been pissed after seeing the 1 inch rule... Dot is Dot. As long as it is FMVSS 218 Compliant, how can they ticket anyone? making there own rules now!!! this is ridiculous. Least I do live close to SC, i can remove the bucket and ride free there......btw Chuck you say you didnt aim yoursmart azz remarkat anyone. BS!! you called everyone out who wears a Novelty helmet, candy azz wannabe. maybe I think your one just Saying....

if you think I am, that is cool with me my
friend, no biggie at all..

I'm directing my post toward guys who wear non DOT
helmets because they are trying to make a statment
towards the (MAN) instead of just being a REAL MAN
and not wearing the helmet at all.

All the other guys that wear non DOT black beanies
because they like playing Mr. Dress Up on a few
weekends a year when they have time to ride is all
goodas far as I can see. Everyone needs a way to
releave stress and if pretending your Marlin Brando
or one of the Hell's Angels by dressing up on your
motorcycle a few times of the year thats great to
me" it sure beats the heck out of playing golf.. LOL"

Old 12-13-2007 | 05:46 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Chuck, I'm sorry but I just don't see any correlation between wearing a novelty helmet and being a man.

Check my above post and it might clear that up
for you...

Old 12-13-2007 | 05:48 PM
46knuck
Tourer

Here in Calif we have to wear lids for some years now. I wear the novelty style because I can't stand the heat, vision loss, and weight. At first the CHP stopped people but after a few years as long as you are covered it's good.
Really folks, the helmet is only good up to about 25 or 30 mph and stops the road rash. If I go down hard I may die but won't end up in a coma with a beautiful head and the inside like scrambled eggs. I don't want to get fed through a tube and wear a diaper and you know the rest.
Fine if you want to wear full coverage but don't think you are superman now.

Old 12-13-2007 | 06:07 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 46knuck

Really folks, the helmet is only good up to about 25 or 30 mph and stops the road rash.

I'm glad motorcycle racers and guys like Evil Knievel
do buy intostuff like this!

ABATE people eat stuff like your post upby the
millions..........

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:29 PM
2007fxdc
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hawgnuttz

I wouldn't do the ACC thing. I've heard whispers the last couple of weeks and someone just posted a letter in the dyna forum from ACC recalling their so-called DOT approved helmet because it didn't meet standards. I went to Myrtle this fall with money in pocket to buy one of their helmets at the Iron Braid booth. I tried one on and realized it's the same old crap as the rest of them and a whole lot more expensive.

Old 12-14-2007 | 01:30 PM
jtees
Cruiser

ACC has a recall out on their helmets. They do a one for one on them. But is NC states that you must have 1' lining then the ACC will not work in NC. They are pricey and I can not see spending the money on them. I don't see NC LEO inforcing this new law unless you are out there causing hell on your bike and they want to ticket you for everything they can.

Old 12-17-2007 | 09:34 AM
skip3406
Road Captain

I've got 4 DOT approved 1/2 helmets and I just looked at them and none of them have anything on the inside that say DOT approved and I bought 2 oh them from the HD dealer and they're still selling them with nothing on the inside saying DOT approved. I belive that the insurance companys won't be happy until we all ware at least a 3/4 helmet.

Old 12-19-2007 | 10:30 AM
2007fxdc
|
Elite HDF Member

I'm just now revisiting this post.

First, let me say to Chuck that you are overshooting the reason most of us that wear novelty helmets, wear them. We aren't trying to make any sort of statement to the "man" other than, "hey, look LEO, I'm wearing a helmet and hope it is convincing enough that you won't pull me over for a violation and harass me". It's not a politcal statement at all and we aren't trying to "pose". We are just trying to, at least, appear to be compliant with the law.

Now, back to the original subject of the new helmet law. I believe that LEO's WILL be instructed to enforce this new law. Perhaps not on a daily basis but I can see them making it a point of emphasis at DWI and/orClicket or Ticket roadblock campaigns that the state has several times a year and my community, county and city, has even more often than that. I also believe that many LEO's are sympathetic to the biker's side of the issue as many are regarding seat belt regulations. I have several friends in Law Enforcement locally at every level. I know several State Troopers, a couple of Sheriff's Deputies, and most of the City Police Officers. Most of them will tell you, off the record, that they typically aren't out looking for seatbelt violators on a daily basis. If you don't want to wear your seatbelt (or legal helmet) then it's your life, live with the consequences. However, they will also tell you that, when the state issues a clicket or ticket campaign, they do what they have to do if they catch you at a checkpoint regardless of what their personal feelings are about it.

With the newlaw reportedly written as it is, specific to the DOT approved labeling and the 1" padding, things can become quite complicated for the consumer and LEO's. What meets the law and what doesn't? There are probably many people riding around out there that paid good money forand are riding in good faith that their helmet is DOT approved. Yet, it may happen to not be labeled on the inside, as has been documented in this thread, or it may not meet the 1" padding requirement. There are most likely still helmets on the shelf and being sold at this moment that don't meet the letter of the law. So, how do they deal with the grey area? How will they deal with a corrected version of the ACC helmets that don't have an inch of padding? Time will tell I guess. I will keep my ear to the tracks after the first of the year to see if anything REALLY changes.

Old 12-20-2007 | 04:29 AM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

since you know so many leos just ask them how are they being trained to detect illegal helemts and legal ones. They have to be trained....If there not being trained how willl they know the difference?

Quick Reply: New N.C. Helmet law 1/1/2008