Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

The Fla. Keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
jpmflying
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Fla. Keys

I am considering flying myself down to the Pembrooke Pines airport and renting a bike at Miami HD this Friday. How long does it take to ride the Keys and what places are not to b missed? John in No. VA.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior
Default RE: The Fla. Keys

It's about 150 miles or so. Takes a while and well worth it! I just did it with a bunch of friends. Places not to miss? That's a lng *** list. Just take random turns and enjoy. Definately spend a few nights in Key West. You'll have plenty of time to hit all the local hot spots.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from Key West. I make the trip from Maryland to Key West twice a year. From Florida City where the Florida Turnpike ends it is about 128 miles to Key West. Plan on doing about 45 MPH the entire distance, about 2hrs, 45 minutes if you're lucky.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
tomkatz4
Advanced

What's the best time of year to go?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wecroft

Just got back from Key West. I make the trip from Maryland to Key West twice a year. From Florida City where the Florida Turnpike ends it is about 128 miles to Key West. Plan on doing about 45 MPH the entire distance, about 2hrs, 45 minutes if you're lucky.
45???

Is that the speed limit? Or lots of traffic?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

One lane each direction most of the way. Many areas 45 MPH (or lower) speed limit. Get behind an RV and you're stuck for long stretches but what the hell, you're supposed to relax and slow down in the keys. Your average for the trip be be around 45 MPH.

In my opinion the best time to go is anytime other than July thru September, just too stinking hot. I go in March and October (Fantasyfest).

Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite ride, it does suck to get behind an RV. I would recommend taking your time on the drive to KW,as others have stated there are so many great places to see and eat. There is no other place on earth like the keys, ENJOY!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

lots information on the forum for key west..consider typing "key west" on the search tab on the top of the screen...
traffic is really bad in miami from peterson hd north store to key west..not to many choices to avoid traffic getting to the start of the keys...the big fish sign at the start of the keys is about 1 hour or 1 hour 15 minutes from the peterson hd north store on 441 (state road #7)..i really see only two choices from that location 1- turnpike extension south to the end(start of keys) several tolls 2- palmetto also know as 826 west that then turns into 826 south then take 874 to turnpike south..i think if i could avoid rush hour 7:30-9:30am and 4-7pm i would take 441 for about (lots of traffic) from the store to the palmetto (826)*this takes 10 minutes then palmetto (826) to 836 WEST (dolphin expressway) takes about 15 minutes..then continue going as evetually you will be going south on the turnpike until it ends..takes about 45 minutes..when the turnpike ends there are about 7 gas stations...get gas and something to drink ....you are about 2 minutes from the start of the keys..the first left after you go under the welcome sign is card sound road..i beleave the last chance saloon is across the street....not much to look at yet...if you choose not to take card sound road the other choice is a high speed one lane up and one lane down with NO barrier for traffic and limited passing lanes ..i prefer card sound road takes 15 to 20 minutes longer..the first part about 10 minutes is nothing just grass...but then you will get to see a really small fishing village , "alabama jacks" safe open air beer stop , toll $1, continue thru a few bridges (nice views) this is about 10 minutes..then make a right at the one and only blinking light at the end of the road...continue for about 15 minutes of key west "woods" riding..no lights no stops..limited traffic..very smooth..this will meet with US#1..consider riding for about 10 minutes to the World Famous tiki bar on the left hand side..just check it off the list..should not spend more than 5 minutes ...it is very run down....a little further down the road on the right (5 minutes) mile marker 82??? is the island marada fish company ..you can eat there..the nice building next door has cool fishing stuff and great air conditioning, and you can sit on the rockers on the back and look at the ocean...only clean bathrooms i have seen in the area
are inside to the back right in the big two level store...a little further 10 minutes is Robbies on the right under the bridge..buy a bucket of fish for a few bucks and feed the huge fish..different..from here on down there are several neat views, bridges etc....the seven mile bridge is cool..the old one on the right has been in several films 007 , arnold and others..once you cross the bridge it is about 1 and 1/2 hours to key west..really close to key west there is another waterfront place to stop to eat or have a drink called "the island" it is on the right hand side..i beleave it is about 45 minutes past the seven mile bridge.
once in key west you must take a picture in front of the 90 miles to cuba concrete buoy FREE, must catch sunset at mallory square FREE, The dump at caroline and william street called B and O "written on cardboard" has a long key west history and is were the local workers eat..inexpensive for key west standards....if time is an issue and you are not going overnight...a relaxed day time /day light trip immediatley past the seven mile bridge and back is very nice..to go all the way to the end and reach key west and back in the same day is kinda tuff with traffic, 45 mph speed or less, sun gets you tired and drinks on board ..***REMINDER miami traffic is dangerous,

Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

from the store it is about 150 miles?
if you stop to eat , have a beer or just take a break it will take about 5 + hours .
speed limit is about 45 mph most of the way down in the keys. do not speed..state troopers have nothing to do but ticket people.
the ride itself is very nice once past card sound road...
best time to start down or return is before sunrise.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Key West,The place at Caroline & William St is BO's fish wagon you must eat here! The best,freshest fishyou'll ever eat,the place is a DUMP(but very original)cool people and great food. Another great spot(my personal favorite) Schooners Warf Bar,great people,great music(Michael McCloud is the last KW original). I could go on an on because there are really endless things to do in Key West,just figured I'd tell everyone my favorites.

Quick Reply: The Fla. Keys