Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

My trip to the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Snort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trip to the Dragon

I left this morning at 6:40am to meet a group of riders heading up to the Dragon. I have a few LEO friends and have ridden Jeeps with them for years. At the MBBW Rally I ran into one of them and of course he had his bike there and we were staying at the same hotel, blah, blah, blah,, So we decide to get together and ride and he puts me on his "riding" email list and I see this trip and jump on it.
There was a total of 6 of us, 3 HD's and three metrics. The plan was to leave by 8:00am and get there as quickly as possible on the highways, ride the Dragon,and then take our time getting back on the parkway and scenic roads. Well, we didn't leave until about 8:45 and then hauled A$$ all the way up there, so much so that it was pretty unnerving for me. We hit 28 and it was a good road but wet from an earlier rain. We ate lunch at the store there and then rode the Tail of The Dragon up and then back. There was not much traffic so crotch rockets weren't an issue for the most part, the Miatas got into my lane pretty bad at one point. I took it pretty easy as I was still a bit unnerved from the trip up but rode it good and without incident.
Then as we are preparing to leave, the sky opens up and it RAINSHARD on us from Deal's Gap to Hendersonville. As I'm looking at the news right now there was 2" of rain in that area today and it fell all on us! It took us 4 hours to get to Hendersonville with a couple of stops for food, gas, and to dry off a bit.
I pulled in my driveway at 10:18pm with 505 miles on the odometer.
The rain really sucked and I need to be more prepared for it but after it's all said and done, it was a great trip.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Amy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My trip to the Dragon

Glad to hear you survived the dragon Snort. That's something I have NO desire whats so ever to do and I have much respect for those who do it with out any problems.
We missed you tonight but hopefully you can join us next week.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snort

I left this morning at 6:40am to meet a group of riders heading up to the Dragon. I have a few LEO friends and have ridden Jeeps with them for years. At the MBBW Rally I ran into one of them and of course he had his bike there and we were staying at the same hotel, blah, blah, blah,, So we decide to get together and ride and he puts me on his "riding" email list and I see this trip and jump on it.
There was a total of 6 of us, 3 HD's and three metrics. The plan was to leave by 8:00am and get there as quickly as possible on the highways, ride the Dragon,and then take our time getting back on the parkway and scenic roads. Well, we didn't leave until about 8:45 and then hauled A$$ all the way up there, so much so that it was pretty unnerving for me. We hit 28 and it was a good road but wet from an earlier rain. We ate lunch at the store there and then rode the Tail of The Dragon up and then back. There was not much traffic so crotch rockets weren't an issue for the most part, the Miatas got into my lane pretty bad at one point. I took it pretty easy as I was still a bit unnerved from the trip up but rode it good and without incident.
Then as we are preparing to leave, the sky opens up and it RAINSHARD on us from Deal's Gap to Hendersonville. As I'm looking at the news right now there was 2" of rain in that area today and it fell all on us! It took us 4 hours to get to Hendersonville with a couple of stops for food, gas, and to dry off a bit.
I pulled in my driveway at 10:18pm with 505 miles on the odometer.
The rain really sucked and I need to be more prepared for it but after it's all said and done, it was a great trip.
Richard, that was a very good ride dude. One that willforever bebranded in a true bikers butt and mind. Funny, everytime someone speaks of getting rained on (wet) while ridingsomebody else will say, " It's O.K., I AIN'T NO CHERRY".It's just one of them little redneck sayin's I got.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

but after it's all said and done, it was a great trip.
That's the part you will remember most.

I was talking with some guys I ride with about the trips we took to the Dragon, BRP, etc. last year. Seems like every time we came through Hendersonville we got wet.

I don't know what you've got for rain gear but here's a link to what I have. Used it quite often in the last two years and I give it high marks. In the last 3 weeks I've been in my rain gear more than I've been in my truck. If we ever get together in the near future you're welcome to try it on.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
kerberos
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! I am itching to make the tail of the Dragon run, but at the same time a little wary of it because of all of the horror stories I hear/read about trucks running bikers off the road and such. I'm not worried about the ride itself, but the other people out there that might not have control of whatever they are driving.

I hope you had your rain gear! I'da been screwed, I don't have any yet.

wt