Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Moving to the Memphis area

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:36 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Moving to the Memphis area

So, in about 5 months, the Navy is moving me to the Memphis area for what should be my last job before retirement. I'm looking at houses in the Munford and Atoka area (something with acreage) as they seem to have the best rated schools. I have one son in High School and another in Middle School. The last time I was in this area, was over 21 years ago... for school.

Here in VA, I use Chad at Wide Open Cycles (in Fredericksburg) to tune and fix the things I tear up (or don't want to tear up) and another local Indy shop for consumables. Are there any good tuners/builders in the Memphis area?

What else do I need to know? What else am I missing?

Chris

Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Good luck on your move. I'm from the Raleigh NC area so really can't help with the shops. Hopefully this will bump up and someone sees it You might want to post in the off topic area as it might get more coverage.

The following users liked this post:
cmashark (04-16-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I lived in Memphis for 8 years and still visit often. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away now in southern middle TN. I'm not aware of any go-to/big name indy mechanics or tuners in the Memphis area. Bumpus runs a nice dealership with several locations in west TN, but I wouldn't use them for dyno tuning. If you are used to Chad's expertise in tuning, I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed unless you travel to the Nashville area. TNT Performance is the most well known tuner in the state, but in full disclosure, I haven't heard much about him in the last couple of years. Sorry I couldn't be of more help there.

Check out Central BBQ and The BBQ Shop for the best pulled pork and ribs in Memphis. You can thank me later.

Hope the move goes smoothly for you!

The following users liked this post:
cmashark (04-16-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:41 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Whelp, getting closer to the move. Put an offer on a house and will be closing in July. Looking forward to exploring the area... Think I found an Indy in the KC area... Suppose I could search for some "Bike Night" events and maybe hit up the local VFW to see if there are any good Memphis area shops.

Chris

Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmashark
Whelp, getting closer to the move. Put an offer on a house and will be closing in July. Looking forward to exploring the area... Think I found an Indy in the KC area... Suppose I could search for some "Bike Night" events and maybe hit up the local VFW to see if there are any good Memphis area shops.

Chris
Beale Street Bike Night every Wednesday from 6-10. Also every Wednesday next to Bumpus HD on Whitten is a bar, the name evades me (alzheimers...lol) has a Bike Night as well.

For any decent riding roads, you have to head North into KY, west to the Ozarks, or east to the Smokies.

You're going to love it here. We moved in December from Northern VA and couldn't be happier. What area are you moving to? We are in Midtown about 2 blocks from the zoo.

Last edited by ShoreRider; 06-02-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

http://sidecarcafememphis.com/

thanks for the info we will be On beale st for bike night june22 going have make it over to side car also...

Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ShoreRider
Beale Street Bike Night every Wednesday from 6-10. Also every Wednesday next to Bumpus HD on Whitten is a bar, the name evades me (alzheimers...lol) has a Bike Night as well.

For any decent riding roads, you have to head North into KY, west to the Ozarks, or east to the Smokies.

You're going to love it here. We moved in December from Northern VA and couldn't be happier. What area are you moving to? We are in Midtown about 2 blocks from the zoo.
Thanks for the reply. We will be in the Munford area. Excitement is killing me. Lol. Seems like time is slowing down.

Chris

Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for the reply. We will be in the Munford area. Excitement is killing me. Lol. Seems like time is slowing down.

Chris
Good luck with your move Chris. It's always fun working with you on projects, sure going to miss that. Stay in touch

Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris
I work at the base in Millington. There is also a local place in Millington called The Shake Rag. Haven't been there but have heard it rocks on the weekend during riding season

Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Gunny4Sawx
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your tour. I thought NAS Millington was all but closed. Down towards Mississippi area I recall a few indy shops, but that was 25 years ago

Quick Reply: Moving to the Memphis area