Softail Custom Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

Maddog, I'd like to see how they look on your bike from as many angles as possible to get a good idea.
+1. These are exactly the ones I was looking at, but I was a little concerned that they might be small and hard to remove. I'd like to see some pics and hear what you think.None of the aftermarket ones seem to look as good, or as good as the quick detach ones L2R mentioned. I like both.
Where do I find the bare back kit?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM
maddog53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'llpost the pics. on sunday evening.The bare back kits come from Drag Specialties.
[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 01-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got my twisted luggage rack in. I went to pull out the drill so I could drill the holes in my license plate bracket, but I drill bits were no where to be found. So I'm gonna borrow some from my dad and hopefully get it put on this evening. I did set it in place on the bike just to see how it would look, and I have to say that I was more impressed than I thought I would be. I was originally skeptical because of how high the rack sits above the fender, but I actually really liked the look of it. I can't wait to actually get it installed.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

Maddog, I have to admit you were right.

Harley did not make the SC in Black Denim. When I spoke to people in Lancaster it was a guy in the actual paint department, not formally.

After your responce I wanted to disprove you so I called Harley in Milwaukee and they checked. None made in Black Denim.

I then visited one of the manager's at the dealer and pinned him down. He is aretired Master Sargeant in the Army and we clicksince I am also a vet. His version is that they bought a set of factory tins forthe Night Train and put them on the bike intending to make a custom Custom from it afterwards (Charity version with Celeb. Signatures), but it stopped after they mounted the tins for a couple of reasons he shared with me.

I may be naive, but I can see it. The shop does customize several bikes a year, as do a lot of dealers.

They did not charge for a custom paint though andI know I paid significantly less than the plain black. I think they got a little over exited about the denim paints at this shop. Not everyone gets it, or wants to.

Either way, thanks for your insight. It is good to have a post like this to share info and ideas.

Mike,

The proud owner of what could be the ONLY Night Custom (Should I have my own Forum?)

[IMG]local://upfiles/50589/BB250ADFCCD14612A9DBB83946877172.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

Live2Ride,

Love that twisted sissy bar and I have been thinking about all three twisted pieces (Bar, rack and Linkage) since I first saw them.

Thanks for the pictures, It is better to see them on the bike.

Mike
The one, the only Night Custom rider...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Live2Ride
I was originally skeptical because of how high the rack sits above the fender,
So was I till the first time I needed to hook a bungee cord to it. That's when I realized that they left enoughroom under it sothe hooks don't touch the painted fender.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Live2Ride
I was originally skeptical because of how high the rack sits above the fender,
So was I till the first time I needed to hook a bungee cord to it. That's when I realized that they left enoughroom under it sothe hooks don't touch the painted fender.
I had the same thought. It'll also make it easier to clean the fender.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Putting wax on is still a bit of a bother, but taking it off I just use a longer piece of terry cloth towel and buff under it like you do the toes of ashoe or boot.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I've never actually waxed any of my bikes. I normally try to keep it as clean as possible. And after I wash it and the bike dries (I let it dry on its own or I use an air compressor. I don't dry it with a towel so I avoid swirls.), I use a quick detailer spray. That keeps my bikes lookin' like new for the most part. I've thought about waxin' it, but I don't know what real benefit I would get out of it. I don't really have any swirl marks, and the detailer I use has a wax in it. I'll still probably have to use the same method as you, though, to get the detailer off the fender.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

I normally only "wax" the bike at the end of the year when I'm reasonably sure its not going anywhere for a while. Like after there is about 6" of snow on the ground.
Then at the begining of the riding season I'll wash it to get the dust off and use Turtle Wax "Ice" on it. Then for the rest of theriding season I'll just wash it to get the bugs and raod crap off and use the Ice till the snow fly's again.
So far its worked out fairly well and keeps the shine without a lot of extra work. Best part is that the Ice doesn't leave any of that damned white crap behind thatyou keep finding bits of in every nook and cranny for a week or so afterwards.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures