Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM
TC47
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

Hi Skips69,

a question to you:
when you disconnect/connect the battery, is there anything i have to pay attention to it, cause of the new security-system?
I also want to do some changes over the winter and so the battery-groundcable must be disconnected, but wanna no neighbours at the windows, cause the alarm goes on:-)...

Rgds, Jo

Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 PM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an audible alarm, just the new "key fob disabling system". But, nothing special mentioned in the shop manual about disconnecting the battery from what I remember. I've had the battery disconnected a few times already on this bike, haven't had any problems afterwards with re-starting or anything out of the norm. Might want to look in your owner's manual though if you have the audible alarm feature - could be different?

I did just find out the switch housings are new for the 07's. Had to take the ones back that I purchased from the local dealership this morning. I guess now you're not able to start the bike while in gear unless the clutch lever is pulled in is the new feature - LH lower housing has a hole in it for a plunger to stick through (similiar to the RH side for the front brake). Neutral safety switch? They were unaware of it and had to order the updated housing for me. None on the shelf at all. Did some more checking while down there, and found out the chrome master cylinder kit I "should" have ends in 06A, and they sold me an 06 (without the "A"). I compared the old to the new but don't see any difference, so I'm going to try and use the one I bought and see what happens. They didn't know why the catalog lists 06A now, since they were already new for the 06' models last year? I already went through all of this for the lower belt guard, front axle spacers, chrome axle covers, chrome fork slider's, etc, etc. A helluva lot of changes for one year, and still finding more every week.......

Old 12-02-2006, 03:26 PM
SM Radios
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: coolhand3537

SM Radios, lookin good! Is that a HD windshield?
Sorry haven't got back with you............... It is a stock HD Windshield

Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Halford
Novice

Dear Custom Owners
My question is about the stock Softail Custom handlebars....
After my RK03 I'm thinkking about a 2007 Night Train but I do not like its bars at all. I like Custom's bar a lot. I think it will fit well in the NT.
My question: is it a confortable position to ride with it ? I think yes, but I prefer to ask directly to the experts...
Thanks in advance
Halford

Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure if anyone can realistically answer that. What's comfortable for one guy isn't necessarily good for another. I think you should take trip to the dealers and try sitting on a Custom to see if the bars feel comfortable TO YOU.
But for the different seat styles everything but the bars is basically the same between the NT and Custom so you should be able to judge for yourself if the bars feel right for you.

I’m only about 5’ 7” and they are just a tad too high and far forward for me, but I’m not typical in that I also have a physical “problem” caused by an accident that damaged my right elbow.

I remember reading someplace that the grips should not place your hands above your shoulder level, so taller guys, and gals over about 5’ 9” will probably find that they fit very nicely. Shorter than about that, like me and you may find that they are borderline and may or may not be as nice for riding long distances.

I was forced to tip the bars back three or so inches to make it easier for me. But my right hand and forearm still go numb after twenty or so miles if I don’t use the throttle lock a lot. So if I can find a cheap set of risers and bars from a Standard I may try replacing the mini apes as the Standards bar places the grips lower and farther back.

They should also help when I have to move the bike around in the garage. It’s the one thing I can do much better with my old 700cc Yamaha. Being more than a foot shorter in length and some 250lbs lighter it’s a hell of a lot easier to push around by myself.

Have Fun and Good Luck Looking.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM
TC47
Intermediate

Hello Halford,

in short: for my bodyheight (1.70m) the stock handlebar is very comfortable to ride:-)

Rgds
Jo

Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sitting on a bike in a showroom won't tell you squat.
You need to ride in 60 MPH wind for an hour to really understand what is comfortable, and what isn't. What helps out your back, and what doesn't.

Personally, I've removed apes from two prior motorcycles. I don't like the leverage they offer while riding. Arms are higher in the wind, wrists and below the hands, and to me, all of the pressure translates to your back holding your posture into the wind.
I think the Deuce bars offer the best riding comfort, and the best leverage so your lower back won't ache after a few hours on the road.
Arms are out straighter, with a little reach to help out the back, wrists are aligned with hands and arms, and your lower back has very little pressure to keep your body upright.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skips69,
What lift is that?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 PM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman - Probably like $60 right now with all of the sales for the holidays if you look around and follow the weekly ads. I think I got it on sale for $100 about 4 years ago. They've steadily came down since then. Get's used alot more than just on bikes too, at my place. Very handy to have around the garage.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
paulca
Road Captain

Was supposed to take delivery of my FXSTC on Friday but she's still undergoing "beauty treatment" so I thought I'd post some work in progress piccies. Actually all that's missing from phase 1 is a bit of cabling a new 6 spoke front wheel - which hasn't arrived yet. Still not sure about the seat, might go for the retro or a sidekick. Exhaust system & seat in the new year, tho my dealer said it might be early spring before there's a good choice of pipes for European 07 models. I'll take proper pictures and post them later.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19820/FF2E749923934A74A3FFFF66A33FFA33.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures