Softail Custom Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 AM
htowndude
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

Giving this a shot. My first post but been lurking on here about a year. Great way to see how different accessories look on my bike before buying. I just put the retro seat on and while I like the look with the new sissy bar I am keeping the stock seat for anything over a couple of hundred miles because it does have more padding. For the most part though I just bar hop and cruise around the coast. Plan on getting pipes but for now just punched the plugs out of the stocks and it sounds good enough for now.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM
glef
6th Gear

I've also been lurking for a while.....so I'll also give this a shot.

Had theSoftail since last April...great bike! Had an '04 1200XLC before that (also a good bike)

Not too many mods for the moment. Am looking into installing a new air cleaner and either PCIII or SERT at the moment.
Can anybody tell me ifone canshut downthe Active Intake System and the Active Exhaust System with theSERT.(My bike isa European model)
I downloaded the SERT manualsbut didn't find any info about this

Thanks in advance for any help !

[IMG]local://upfiles/25164/3425BC9726844E14B4033B92D93DF9DE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25164/78CACB34F84440E4B596A6F1032EDA06.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome htowndude and glef! I like your choice in color! Seems to be more and more black Customs poppin' up on here.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Helix
Tourer

Welcome to the club!! Love the mountain backdrop glef! Gotta Love those Vivid Black Customs!!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the "Black Custom" club glef, must be really nice cruising through the mountains on a bike like ours.

As for getting rid of the active systems with a PCIII or SERT, I'm not sure. But I believe thatyour bike is very similar to the one the market inCalifornia. Theirs has some kind of strange exhaust rerouting system for emissions. So you might need a SERT that was intended for the California or international market. But unless I'm mistaken the pics of your bike look like you already have swapped out the pipes foraftermarket ones or slip-ons.
Are you interested in it because of that? Is the ECM giving you an error or something because of it?
If so I doubt thePCIII is going to be of any help. It can only modifiy the injector outputs of the ECM to compensate for intake or exhaust modifications.
The SERT "may" be able to chenge it, but I can't be sure and odds ar that it going to have to be a version that's setup for the international bikes programing.
The only sure way I can think of would be to replace the ECM alltogether with one of the aftermarket systems like a ThunderMax. If you got one of the Tmax boxes with the Autotune option it would make for a better setup, especially where you live. It uses feedback from wideband O2 sensors to continuously update the ECM's map tables. That means instead of just putting in the amount of fuel the map says too, it willcontiouously compensate for any changes inairtemprature and altitude as well as a number of other factors.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:37 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure the SERT has a option that lets you turn off the active intake and exhaust. I f not try http://www.bigjoechoppers.com.au/i used this guy great service quality product just unplug the cable and plug in the eliminators job done $75 AUS dollars delivered.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Rich C
Advanced

Welcome to both..... Hey There Glef, enjoyed Switzerland when I was there. I lived in Germany for 3 years and traveld alot.

I almost bought the black FXSTC, I was going to buy some new signature tins. See Ya Around.

Will be headed to Biketoberfest 18 OCT.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 AM
glef
6th Gear

Hi all! Thanks for the warm welcome and the info!
Citoriplus, as far as I know, as of this year,international models are equipped with "active intake and exhaust systems" to meet European (and Australian: thanks jf)noise and emission regulations.
A motorised flap on the intake and abutterfly valve on the exhaust (just in front of the muffler) are controlled by the ECU to limit airflow. (See pics below)
If the system is disconnected,an error codeis sent to the dash.
jf, thanks for the info about the "plug" solution.
For the moment Ihave a set of Rush 1.75" mufflers that sound pretty good until that %รง#&! butterfly valve kicks in and makes it sound like it is running on one cylinder.....
I'm planning to do the stage 1 mod and haven't made my mind up about a SERT or PCIII, which is why I was wondering if the SERT would permit a software solution to de-activate the system or if the "plug" solution is needed like with the PCIII.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I was unaware of the active intake system, the active exhaust sytem is usedin California bike's for emissions, but you posting was the first I had heard of the intake one. I don't think they sellmany international bike's here in western NY. Thank God for small favors.
But I think jf's little eliminators should do the trick for you.
Best of all is that once they have been "eliminated" you should be able to useeither the SERT or the PCIIIwithout it coughing uperror codes. Just that with the PCIII it will still be looking for the signals.
Its going to be your choice in the end, but if there is a possibility that theSERT "might"eliminate them, I think I would rather go that route and make theECM forget about them altoghter rather than try faking it out. If it doesn't, you can still get the eliminators, its just going to cost you more in the end.
See if you can do a search of the member here to see if anyonehas a new bike with a SERT.
They shoud be able to tell you if its capable of eliminating the active systems. Or seea dealer over there and ask one of the mechanics in the backwho's used a SERT. You never know, they might actually tell you something useful.
Good Luck, and keep posting pics, I love that kind ofscenery.
Its a nice contrast to theflat lands around here.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 AM
mudphish
Novice

My 89!

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures