Softail Custom Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Gigamark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

Citoriplus,
Is there a license plate light built in with those LED tailights?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, if you look at the last two pics I put up the two brighter stripes on the aluminum plate I made are from the twoLED's that shine down on the plate.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser

So if one buys only the tail lamp (P/N 69817-07) does that change the license plate setup? Not sure if the new plate mount comes with the light,the rackor the whole rack mounting kit???? I like the light but would not go with the rack at this point.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

The light comes with a small tin plate mount that looks like the bracket mounting.
Its just made of a lotlighter gauge material because it only has to hold the plate, and its a bit easier to install.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser

I guess that I'll see what priority this will take on my ever growing list. So it is as bright or brighter than the stock light you say......I kind of like the Kuryakyn light with the built in turn signals but I'm afraid of the visibility aspect of that setup. Does this light come with the load equalizer or must one buy that separately???

Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

You only need an equalizer for turn signals. Brake and running lights don't need them.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
flyboy9994
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

O.K. Now were talkin!! Looks like our Custom board is starting to take off.

Excellent job on the pics and write up Citori. What a great help for sure and I'll be looking hard at the LED brake light. And great job on that aluminum backing plate. Looks top notch for sure!!

Now about the rack for the bobtail fender... I have always loved the look of the bobtail fender and itplayed a big part when I bought this bike. Unfortunately, I really dislike how the luggage rack hides the fender and I'll definitely be looking for an alternative. So far it looks like my only choice is to change the seat out and go to the older style sissy bar set up with the side plates etc. Then I would have a choice of 3 or 4 of the smaller racks that attach to the sissy bar up away from the fender. My other alternative is to just wait and see what comes out as these are still new models. For now I'll just have to strap my sissy bar pack on facing forward and resting on the passenger seat.

Anyway, thanks again Citori for the great pics. Also, are you using a fork brace and if so, which one??

Later

Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994

O.K. Now were talkin!! Looks like our Custom board is starting to take off.

Excellent job on the pics and write up Citori. What a great help for sure and I'll be looking hard at the LED brake light. And great job on that aluminum backing plate. Looks top notch for sure!!

Now about the rack for the bobtail fender... I have always loved the look of the bobtail fender and itplayed a big part when I bought this bike. Unfortunately, I really dislike how the luggage rack hides the fender and I'll definitely be looking for an alternative. So far it looks like my only choice is to change the seat out and go to the older style sissy bar set up with the side plates etc. Then I would have a choice of 3 or 4 of the smaller racks that attach to the sissy bar up away from the fender. My other alternative is to just wait and see what comes out as these are still new models. For now I'll just have to strap my sissy bar pack on facing forward and resting on the passenger seat.

Anyway, thanks again Citori for the great pics. Also, are you using a fork brace and if so, which one??

Later
The fork brace was the first thing I put on the bike, and its a Kuryakyn. I thought it looked better and was cheaper than the HD SE version. Later I found out that HD makes another one that's nearly identical, but still more expensive.

You can see it looks nice on there and even if some people don't think they do much. I have never completely trusted fork legs that are that long not to flex when I don't need it. I like thepeace of mindeven alittle bit of extra bracing gives me.

I know what you mean about the fenders looks, its one of the things that attracted me to it as well. But the rack follows the fender curve quite closely and doesn't detract from the overall look nearly as much as one made ofstraight bars would.

Good luck Looking for a new sissy bar/rack setup, I hope you don't need it.

Frank

Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
flyboy9994
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

O.K. I like the fork brace your using. I know what you mean about having "peace of mind" as it seems there would definitely be some flex with these forks. Maybe not much but enough to warrant a fork brace?? I don't know but I'm still getting one... Not to mention it looks great too.

Also, the close up of your luggage rack has me re-thinking this. It looks O.K. and the curvature seems right but damn if it doesnt hide it a lot of the fender... But it does look good.

Thanks again

Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994
Also, the close up of your luggage rack has me re-thinking this. It looks O.K. and the curvature seems right but damn if it doesnt hide it a lot of the fender... But it does look good.
Thanks again
The rack "does" take away a little from the fender. But I think its utility value is worth it.
When it was on the old tail light it was kind of a pain to mess with, so I left it on. The new mounting bracket on the other hand has mounting holes that are a little more open. That makesit a little easier to take on and off if you do a little preplanning.
The front mount consists of an under fender fitted nut and an over fender washer with a long Allen screw. My idea is to glue (epoxy) the under fender nut in place and getting abig thumb screw to replace the Allen screw. Then permenently attachingthe rear screws to the rack (more epoxy)so I only needbig wing nuts underneath the bracket to fasten it on. Then if I want it on or off its only a matter of a couple of minutes work without the need fortools to get it done.

Sorry its not the best pic, but its the best I have for now. With all the snow and ice on the ground I don't dare try to wheel it outside for a better one. I doubt I would get more than a few feet outside the door before it slipped and fell over on me.
Not something I'm at all interested in right now. I figure Icanwait till spring to get better ones.

See Ya,
Frank

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures