Softail Custom Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:41 PM
flyboy9994
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

O.K. Folks... Here she is. Odometer: 6 miles!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24557/98F6FF9C7FE243D08CD202779EE4AD2D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Well I got the tri-bar LED light, bracket, and bobtail fender rack all put together today and it looks MUCH better than the original.
This is a pic of it with the light on, I took another with the brake light on but it washed out the pic, little too bright for the camera I guess.

Sorry I got excited andforgot to put on thereflector strip before I took the pic. It fits in that space below the light and would(and now does) cover those two screw heads in the middle.
One thing I'm happy about is that thesteel bracket for the rack is much heavier than theplastic of the original tail light and plate housing. It should easily allow you to put much heavier things on there than10 lbs. that the original setup is limited (HD rating) for.

BTW Why is it that everytime I do something like this I find a dozen new places where I need to be more careful when I'm cleaning and polishing. And now I went and got dirt and finger prints all over everything from the oil tank back.

Nice! So I guess it is official thatthe tri-bar and the rack are compatible? What were the issues and final resolutions with that?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

does this count as a custom

[IMG]local://upfiles/22242/53F2297C30F943F38A05C7E3567CC973.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22242/FD34FFC155534E6BB9EA277681F5AC62.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
flyboy9994
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

does this count as a custom
Uhhhhh yes... I believe it does!! I don't care for whitewalls but you pulled it off and it fits in a weird sort of way!!

Definitely a custom thats for sure.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pilzner
Nice! So I guess it is official thatthe tri-bar and the rack are compatible? What were the issues and final resolutions with that?
Everything fits exactly as it should, so there are no issues, unless you count having to dismantle most of the back end of the bike.
Other than taking off far more than I though I would have to it wasn't bad.
But if I have a personalissue with it is that the new plate mounting is very heavy duty, but lacks anything like real support for the lower corners of the plate. Given the tin foil that the plate is made of I don't like it much and anticipate that the first rock the tire kicks up into it will bend the hell out of it. I'm not a big fan of needing them, but the govenment seems to think we do. So I am in the process of fabricating a piece of scrap aluminum into a new backing for the plate.
Heres a pic of the original bracket that comes as part of the rack mounting bracket. The piece that comes with the LED tail light is similar so I think this should work as well for it.
I taped a piece of white paper to the tire to show it better as the light isn't very good in my garage.

Its supposed to hook the bottom edge of the plate, but as I said it gives no support for the rest of the plate.
Here's a pic of the piece I'm fabricating. When its done I'll paint it black to match the rest of the assembly. I plan to take off the lower hook mount and mount the new plate usinga counter sunk screw and nut inthe middle slot for the hook. The two upper plate bolts through the license plate, myplate and the bracketwill secure it all place and act like a short mud flap behind the plate and keep any rocks from bending it.

In the pic it looks a lot like the new plate is vertical, but its actually angled out at the bottom a bit. Anybody see anything I missed?

Forgot to mention it in case anyone else is thinking of doing it too.
The part numbers are;
53979-07 Bobtail Fender Rack
69817-07 LED Tail Lamp (US & Canada)
69906-07 LED Tail Lamp (all except US & Canada)
59320-07 Bobtail Rack Mounting Bracket

Have Fun boys and girls.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks i got some motre stuff i am going to do I got better pics but the wife hasnt downloaded yet.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
texas s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Citoriplus,
Thanks for posting the taillight pics. I bought the same bike about a month ago. Still in the shop waiting for parts. Can't ride up north for a while any ways. I am having the same light and rack added. I am adding chrome trim around the plate. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it stable. Also adding stage 1, windshield, t-bags, and flush tank cap and gauge. Any other "must haves" you can think of? I know I can add until the end of time, but I'm not into most of the chrome. Was just looking for a sharp/clean looking ride.
Thanks,
Tex.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you just need to mount that plow to the front so you can ride before June......I like the light...is it as visible as the stock light or no....??? I do like people behind to see me as we have a good number of older folk out here in AZwho don't have the vision they once had....!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

OK, here's the "finished" product minus a little cleaning of the edges and some paint.

This is how it looks from the side. You can see its got a decent angle on it, so there won't be any interference with the tire at full travel.

Doesn't look too bad from this angle, and the plate is only a fraction smaller so it will only be visable as a tiny black strip around the edges.

It looks nice from the rear and you can see the running light is actually more visable in daylight than the original.

Its hard to get a decent pic of the brake light, it seems that the camera has a fit and dims everything down to keep from overloading the sensors.

Don't think anyones going to be able to say they didn't see your brake light it when you slow down or stop. You'll have to be completely asleep to miss it. For some that's probably not to far off.

I hope you enjoyed the show.

azmcdude,

I like the plowidea, but I'll have to make another alittle wider for the 200mm rear.

Frank

Old 02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: texas s

Citoriplus,
Thanks for posting the taillight pics. I bought the same bike about a month ago. Still in the shop waiting for parts. Can't ride up north for a while any ways. I am having the same light and rack added. I am adding chrome trim around the plate. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it stable. Also adding stage 1, windshield, t-bags, and flush tank cap and gauge. Any other "must haves" you can think of? I know I can add until the end of time, but I'm not into most of the chrome. Was just looking for a sharp/clean looking ride.
Thanks,
Tex.
I hadn't thought of the chrome trim and I don't see why it wouldn't work. I just detest paying what they want for little things and I'm not into all the chrome goodies either. Besides its nice to be able to say you made something usefulfrom some scrap you had laying around.
My only concern with the trim is if you could still use the plate hook, or maybe its not needed.
Good luck with yours, I can't wait for the snow to GO AWAY!!!! Unfortunatly there's some talk of agetting a blizzard around Friday.
AL GORE, where is your global warming when we need it?

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures