Softail Custom Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:13 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

ORIGINAL: bronzebarbarian
ok yeah so the way the gears are cut its expected to make some noise...and I take it the 07bikes in the showroom now already have this ECM update ready to go. so theyre good off the showroom floor then.
Straight cut gear teeth make noise, its just the way they are. Just listen to a car engine with a gear drive cam or a big old supercharger on top and you'll have heard it, just louder.
And yes all of the bike made afterlate October or early November have had in put in at the factory. Bikes made before than and already sold can get the update for free from the dealer. If the dealer still has them in stock theyare supposed to do it before the bike is sold.
Its only a five minute fix so its not a big deal. The mechanic who did mine said ittooklonger to pull the seat off than it did to do the update. Probably becasue I have a sissy bar bag that was in hisway.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode an 07' this summer. It made a distinct butquietwhine in 5th gear.
My thoughts?
So what..
It's a gear box, and gear boxes make noise.
I thought the tranny was a big improvement, especially the way it shifts.

So much is made out of nothing at all. People spend a few dollars, and then bitch because their world isn't totally perfect.. I say enjoy the ride instead.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
coolhand3537
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put George C!
Ya know I've always been told, NEVER buy a first run car. But I wanted a FXSTC since I got rid of my Sporty in 98, and when the MoCo quit making them in 99 & went to the duece, well I was a little upset. In fact the wife was calling the dealer to see if they could chase down a 98 or 99 with lower miles when the chick at the dealership said, "Oh no, they brought it back this year". Well needless to say I was exstatic, I mean that had to be some kind of sign, right? (That's what I told the wife anyway!) So we run down to the dealer 2 miles away & there she was. Everything I ever new or was warned about, was out the window!!!

But IMHO everything has worked out good, and I liked the 5th gear whine! Once I knew it wasn't hurting anything it grew on me fast! The engine seems strong & sound, and that 6th speed is just awesome. I mean it's lugging at 60-65, just beggin for you to twist that throttle!! Anyway, Idoun't think our bike has had any issues like the baggers seem to be having. Mines terrific & I'm looking forward to some long days with her!

You know you got it bad when it's31 degrees & you say, "aw, it ain't that cold, guess I'll take the bike to work (15 miles), it's supposed towarm up later"!! I'm just thankful we don't get the ice & snow everyone else gets.

Jim

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
bronzebarbarian
4th Gear

yeah ive heard that before...never buy a first run car i thought about that...but the thing is...i doubt theyll have a Custom next year as an 08 but it seems it doesnt matter with the 07 customstheyre sound. my dad is selling his house, he built it 16 years ago and is still paying for it hes grows weary of the burden and wants to move to a cheaper location... no toys like a Harley during those times,I mean hes had bikes over the years...even got bounced across the highway and hit by 3 cars on once...that kinda took it out of him haha but hes a tough old bastard oh yeah he is a vietnam vet too marines lol despite all this he remains my kid, yes I am the parent=P...but he wants to go ride with his son (me)before he gets too old, cuz its a good time and it keeps him out of trouble. (bar everyday lol yeah...everyday)and he deserves a good bike thats not gonna be a beautiful hunk of loud rattlingshit going down the road. and plus im gonna be riding the thing too...and i dont wanna look like a jackass and feel like one for telling my old man this 20k "Newage" Harley was good.but it seems not the case in the 07 Customs. The heat issue was covered and the trans issue was covered, you guys are really helpful. ya know...for the ones that have the problems...we can only hope that their ownerswear thesuit of the yuppie....muahahahah.

-Dave, a working class slob.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM
techdct
Advanced

Here are some pictures of my new 2007 FXSTC. I traded up from a Sportster XL50 last week which had already put about 10,000 miles on in 6 months. Plan on adding the following accesseries: Bobtail rack, Vance/Hines Big Shots Staggered, Stage 1, SERT, and new grips.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21630/AD40285EDF6E449BBC02A01BAE3E7793.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21630/B26BAFB37AC244A088E939091F08CEC2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

When I got mine they only had one and it was black. But since I prefer black,that's whatI got.
But I have to admit theblue/silver looksa lot nicer than I thought it would just looking at paint chips in the catalog.
What widshield is that and is it detachable?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
techdct
Advanced

Yes it's a quick release windshield like the one I had on my Sporster. It is the shorty smoked version.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

How does it work on the road at speed? And do you remeber the model numberr of it?
I'm looking for one for longer trips, but don't want or need it for around town.
So I'm looking around at different options. I'm "hoping" to get something that's nearly all "glass" without any bars in it, but I refuse to rule one out just because it may not be perfect.
For things like windshieldsfunction has a higher priority than form.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser

That is the windshield I like as well......when you say 'quick relaease' that the one that leaves no docking hardware on the forks when off????? What is the part number??? I believe the last post asked as well...???

Old 02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
paulca
Road Captain

Welcome on board techDT, nice bike - I like FXSTCs [sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures