Night Train Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone remember which way the front spacers go on a stock NT front end? I have the Performance Machine tapered spacers, so orientation is obvious, but I think I may have swapped them left to right when I put everything back together. The difference in width is slight but noticeable.

Edit: Forgot to add that the service manual is useless on this topic... only says "Verify that axle spacers on left and right side are properly installed." DOH!

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 12-05-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think if the tire spins free ur good to go. Rotor should be centered in the caliper.
Loved G5's bike. Damn scoot looks like new story.

Pic of the pipes I whipped up for the shovel. Pretty wild.

Attached Thumbnails  Night Train Pictures-shovelhead-015.jpg  
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob like Lund said if the rotor is centered you're good to go! There looks like theres a little gap on the pinch cap side if thats whats bothering you?

Okay guys I just got back from the toy run... It was a beautiful day! And guess what Lisa (My Girl) Took a video for you guys... Just keep in mind my bike rides pretty rough, but I still think she did a hell of a job...

Anyone up for a ride through Waikiki... Lets go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTMKkiEheo

I'll be posting the pictures and this vid in the main softy section... If you guys want to check them out.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, it spins free when the bike is up in the air, and the rotor "look" centered. After it's been ridden awhile though, I'll get a screeching nsoise from the front end when I'm moving it around before starting... like manuevering out of a parking spot. It's brake noise, not bearings, as it goes away with even the slightest pull on the brake. Since these are floating rotors, the noise goes away under speed too. The brakes work fine and show no signs of glazing or dragging, and there is plenty of pad material left. The brakes were never dissabled, and everything went back together w/o issue... the sliders pretty much self-align with the 1" axle anyways. I discovered I can make the noise go away if I wipe down the rotor firepath with brake cleaner, but after 25 miles or so of stop/go, it's back again. I guess the next test will be to see if I can get it quiet by only wiping down one surface only. If it is the outer surface, I can shim the caliper with two thin washers (maybe the new sliders were machined slightly off, or maybe it's my spacers reversed?). It's not causing any damage, but it just bugs me!

P.S. Lundee, you are a master with fabbing pipes!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice vid, Mark... felt like I was there! Great weather, blockers at every intersection, and an enthusiastic sidewalk audience... life is good. Tell Lisa she done good. Keeping the bars in the foreground was a nice touch and gave us the rider perspective. Could hear the belt drive and dry clutch too!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Bob I get that too after I put on the wilwood rotors??? I think if you can up the caliper and aroud the pistons it might help maybe they aren't going all the way back after hitting the brakes??? Just something you could try, don't know if it will help but can't hurt either way... I still have to do mine someday when I get a chance.

And thanks Lisa appreciates the props, I'm proud of her vid...

Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mista Mark
Was good to see you this morning.
Sorry I couldn't find you guys later at Magic Island and KCC.
There was some kool rydes today.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

No worries Jojo we can always go riding anytime... You gotta spend time with the ohana too... Next time... and yes was good to see you guys this morning!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:08 AM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No stop and go this year huh?! Damn, i shoulda gone. I was too busy fighing a Stihl 440 with a DULL blade through friggin Kiawe wood. Shyt is so har that it sparks when you run the saw into it!! Tell ya what tho, that 440 is a BEAST of a saw!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM
2DAKERB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Vid Story, thanks.

Quick Reply: Night Train Pictures