Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Shakey Softail
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midgard
Happy B -day G

Thanks for the input Cyg

No, I have been real busy with work and my kids - hopefully this weekend -

I should mention I DO NOT have the same I keep reading about (let go of the bars at 40-50 and they start to shake etc..) - like most say when it is the neck bearings/ steering head

This all happens once I reach 70-75mph the bike just feels really "light" even if I shift my *** a tiny bit, the entire bike feels "side to side" if that makes sense --this feeling also increases if I sit straight up at this speed vs slouching _ it is not the wind etc.. as it is a very uneasy feeling and I know its not right

*also if I let go of the bars at the bike does tend to pul left (I basically cannot ride with no hands but can make it work by shifting my weight lol)

Nice choice on the kids dirtbike bike etc.. you know I did the same thing for my son and it came back to me in a great way
Mid, Come to mind you lowered your front end with the progressive drop-in kit now I did the same but also new fork tubes. The things that come to mind one main was low fork oil when dry it takes 10.5oz and for some reason old forks take 9oz. If you check the races and bearings retorqued the fork stem to 45 ft/pds then oil brother. The rake and trail is fine only three things could be.

Yeah it did for you mid, I help out my brother and his wife along with the rest of family but my nephew and niece are my world plus they both ride now again! Finally.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM
JTulski
Cruiser

Did a couple mods lately. Installed a cyclevisions sissy bar and new whitewall tires with a spoked rear rim. rode it home and washed it real quick and managed to snap this pic in the driveway before it got dark. the whitewalls contrast great with the black cherry paint, not sure if you can see it in the pic.

Name:  IMG_20130806_195352_501_zps3a9462a5.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  159.3 KB

Last edited by JTulski; 08-06-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Bakwoodz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy birthday G,

JM- bike looks nice, did the sissy bar bolt into the harley bracket or did it come complete?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 2,571 Posts

Thanks every one. Just another day here haha. Had a great party Saturday night still paying for it today.One thing I do notice Chuck the hangover is starting to last longer these days.No fires JoJo they didn't want me to have a heart attack blowing them out.
Mid have you checked run out on the front wheel and spokes being loose.It doesn't take much to get that shake. You also need to check run out on the rotor with a dial indicator,some appear straight to the eye but aren't.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
JTulski
Cruiser

Bakwoodz- the sissy bar bolted right into my Harley detachable brackets. Found the best deal on Amazon.com. it's the cyclevisions "attitude stick"

Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 AM
uvelocity
Tourer

happy bday g all the best

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Thnx Shakey -- I have brand new heavy oil in both forks. I went and loosened the pinch bolts and torqued the neck to 90lbs! barz still turn okay at this torque but i didnt want to go any tighter - not sure why but now I can let go of the bars and it only very slightly pulls left and then stops ?? weird - not sure why it changed that but.. stil have the "side to side" feeling on entire bike once i hit 70mph

Originally Posted by back again
Mid have you checked run out on the front wheel and spokes being loose.It doesn't take much to get that shake. You also need to check run out on the rotor with a dial indicator,some appear straight to the eye but aren't.

Thnx G - spokes are tight front/rear There is a very small dent in the side of the front rim can I check the tire like this (found this online)

Get the front end up in the air so you can spin the front tire easily with your hand. Get a small stick like a pencil and use a clamp to hold it perpendicular to your fork leg with just a credit card width gap between the outer edge of the rim and the pencil. Now spin the wheel. Watch the gap between the guide and rim. Try to discern whether the edge of the rim is moving at all relative to the end of the pencil. If not, great! If it moves less than 2mm great. Otherwise you'll need a more accurate way to measure the runout like a dial indicator.

Last edited by Midgard; 08-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
sonnyq1976
Cruiser

ok i havent posted on here in a while. Here is the new Conley fairing on my train.

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  109.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0293.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  114.0 KB

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master

JM bike looks awesome!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 2,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
Thnx Shakey -- I have brand new heavy oil in both forks. I went and loosened the pinch bolts and torqued the neck to 90lbs! barz still turn okay at this torque but i didnt want to go any tighter - not sure why but now I can let go of the bars and it only very slightly pulls left and then stops ?? weird - not sure why it changed that but.. stil have the "side to side" feeling on entire bike once i hit 70mph

Thnx G - spokes are tight front/rear There is a very small dent in the side of the front rim can I check the tire like this (found this online)

Get the front end up in the air so you can spin the front tire easily with your hand. Get a small stick like a pencil and use a clamp to hold it perpendicular to your fork leg with just a credit card width gap between the outer edge of the rim and the pencil. Now spin the wheel. Watch the gap between the guide and rim. Try to discern whether the edge of the rim is moving at all relative to the end of the pencil. If not, great! If it moves less than 2mm great. Otherwise you'll need a more accurate way to measure the runout like a dial indicator.
Harbor frieght has a inexpensive dial indicator that can be rigged up to do several different checks mid 30 bucks or so. I'm still saying rotor from what you describe.Bad Boy did the same to me when I first got it.The side by side feeling could be as simple as the pitch of the road your riding on.Witheverything tight it should track pretty good.Have you had anybody follow you to see if bike is crab walking,maybe look at rear wheel and belt alignment. Look at all the things you've done already.It sounds like you've got it narrowed down to what's going round and round.

Last edited by back again; 08-07-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Night Train Pictures