Night Train Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Mmarm300
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Branner
Mmarm: Where do you work? I went to Shredd & Ragan, it was Jeep night. It was pretty cool, got a lot of pics I'll post in the am. Not much as far as bikes, but the guys that did make it out were all friendly and cool to talk to. Where'd you go?
I actually manage Metro Self-Storage (Main and Ferry downtown). We store everything but specialize in high end vehicles. If youre asking about working on bikes, I used to work for Buffalo Harley. Got certified by Harley through MMI in Orlando. I quit HD bc they dont pay squat, and after owning a nightclub and part owning a consultant business for the same the pay differnce was making me BROKE! I have my personal shop here at work. I dont advertise because between the my friends and people i know im too busy. I went for a ride downtown, still havnt been to any of the cruise nights. Soon!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Mmarm300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midgard
Thnx - so if I tighten it snug but there is still a bit of play is that acceptable ?

or should there be no play at all = replace bearings

(forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question lol)
The way I do it, as long as its snug and the bars move freely left to right without any bind, you're right in the area. As long as they move freely left to right and there is no shake youre good. Don't want it too tight or you will put too much pressure/wear on the bearings, too loose and you get slop which will wear out bearings and races. Torque pinch bolt to 21-27ftlbs. If you dont have a torque wrench make sure you dont overdo it. Less is more, you can always recheck in 200 miles and retighten. Pretty easy to feel. There are no stupid questions (unless you've asked multiple times. Ha)

Old 05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Mmarm300
Intermediate

oh and i almost forgot the most important part, torque the stem nut to right under 40ftlbs

Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmarm300
The way I do it, as long as its snug and the bars move freely left to right without any bind, you're right in the area. As long as they move freely left to right and there is no shake youre good. Don't want it too tight or you will put too much pressure/wear on the bearings, too loose and you get slop which will wear out bearings and races. Torque pinch bolt to 21-27ftlbs. If you dont have a torque wrench make sure you dont overdo it. Less is more, you can always recheck in 200 miles and retighten. Pretty easy to feel. There are no stupid questions (unless you've asked multiple times. Ha)
Originally Posted by Mmarm300
oh and i almost forgot the most important part, torque the stem nut to right under 40ftlbs

Thank you

Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
- check out Leatherworks - I can vouch for the quality and so can many others (very popular bag)

get the 5" http://www.jpcycles.com/product/831-384

heres mine

Thanks for this suggestion Midgard, my Leatherworks leather solo bag came in today - though it's the one with the leather straps. It's very nice. Every bit as quality as the Lick's solo bag I had on my Iron. And being 5" deep I'll be able to hold a bunch of stuff in it. It will especially make it easier to take my lunch to work. Save on eating out. hah

Last edited by blindrocket; 05-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't remember how many times I changed my stem bearing already... Mid you be able to tell if you are if you're off when you get a speed wobble at about 85mph... lol

Ash you gotta tell me what brand tool that was I gotta buy my own. When you let me borrow yours it was so easy. Unlike the first time without the tool... lol

I tend to get a dead spot when the wheel is straight... fast riding is good, but going under 5mhp seems like I can't go straight. Raked trees is what cause this and wears the center portion of the race.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,362 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
I can't remember how many times I changed my stem bearing already... Mid you be able to tell if you are if you're off when you get a speed wobble at about 85mph... lol

Ash you gotta tell me what brand tool that was I gotta buy my own. When you let me borrow yours it was so easy. Unlike the first time without the tool... lol

I tend to get a dead spot when the wheel is straight... fast riding is good, but going under 5mhp seems like I can't go straight. Raked trees is what cause this and wears the center portion of the race.
man I can't imagine what JoJo's bike goes thru if your this hard on bearings Mark. YEOW!!!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Haha G, wait till JoJo makes it stateside and gets a hold of you for ripping on him all the time!

Blind, the leatherworks bag will hold a six pack of pounders if that's what you have for a meal. Ask me how I know! (I stopped for dinner one night, it was delicious)

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by story808

Although I went back to stock rake trees , and although it is a great improvement over the 3 degrees rake ones, yet I still get 'light' steering specially when the bike hits a bump faster than 70 .
My Mechanic have already confirmed stem and bearings are all good, but he said the fact that the pro-one has no top stem nut is making him really anxious and he is torquing the lower bolt really hard with red loctite cause it is the only thing holding the trees in..

Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

G will be here all night, try the veal....

Quick Reply: Night Train Pictures