Night Train Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
smdusaf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the forks the same just dif triple trees or what? and so you think it would look cool with the 200 out back and just get a fattyboy fender

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Punkin49
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

AHH Crap guys I need help.

I went to adjust my clutch under the derby cover and the 2 nuts under the rubber boot. I loosened the 2 screws just a few turns and then I did the clutch itself with the allen and nut. felt it slightly grab, un screwed the allen 3/4 inches back then tighted the clutch bolt. Pull lever 3 times to engage ball thingy. went to tighted slack and the adjuster ran out.... It is completely un screwed under the boot and there is a ton of slack...

Is the cable stretched? anything I can do to fix it? When I say there is a lot of slack on the last thread of adjusting I mean the 1/16-1/8 variance is well over an inch..

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work J.
Stench, sounds like you spun the ramp backwards, pull the cover off the tranny and have a look.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratz John!

that 1st bike (Honda?) is pretty fcin cool

That SG needs a new paint job lol

Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

JR...dude that's awesome! Congrats man, you have a sweet ride so you deserve it!

Greeny...what's up, you've been quiet lately, anything new?

Jim, wtf, I saw snow today...

Stesch, you have to turn the cable adjuster in, like you're tightening it, showing no threads, that will slack the cable. Then loosen the lock nut on the clutch plate, turn the Allen bolt in until you feel pressure, back it off a half of a turn, then tighten the lock nut. After this, turn the cable adjuster out so that you have about a 1/16" free play at the lever. That will be the proper adjustment. Sounds like you did the cable adjustment backwards.

If you pulled the lever while everything was slack, you could have F'd something up with the ***** and ramp like Lund suggested.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Punkin49
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I believe I got it back to normal. I screwed the cable adjuster so there were almost no threads. (super super slack) then loosened the lock nut, felt the pressure and backed it off a half a turn and tightened it back up. pull the handle three times then started on the cable adjuster and its finally back to normal with a gap 1/16-1/8.

But I have this slight fear in the back of my mind that when I go to start it tomorrow and put it in gear it might take off... I dunno just one of those.... god I hope I did it right.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stesch_s10
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I got it back to normal. I screwed the cable adjuster so there were almost no threads. (super super slack) then loosened the lock nut, felt the pressure and backed it off a half a turn and tightened it back up. pull the handle three times then started on the cable adjuster and its finally back to normal with a gap 1/16-1/8.

But I have this slight fear in the back of my mind that when I go to start it tomorrow and put it in gear it might take off... I dunno just one of those.... god I hope I did it right.
Don't feel bad stesch, first time I did my clutch adjustment I tried to tighten the jam nut on the clutch pack to 85 FT LBS instead of IN LBS. stripped the threads right out of the release plate. Had to drive 2 hours to the closest dealer that stocked one. $20 part, but huge PITA to get that spring clip out to replace. Anyway, that's how we all learn. Sometimes ya gotta f*ck it up to figure out what not to do!

Anyway, sounds like you got it squared away. Might need to fine tune it to your liking, the number of turns you back it off (1/4, 1/2, etc) dictates the friction zone on the lever pull. IIRC, the less you back off the adjuster, the further off the grip your friction zone will be (someone chime in if I got it backwards!). Should be all good when you fire it up!

Last edited by jreichart; 04-21-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jake, I saw snow in Williamsville yesterday as well. God this weather sucks! It's supposed to be 65 tomorrow, and if it is, I'm riding the bike to work. Fudge it!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, cyg, bike still parked, doesnt feel like spring is ever going to come.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Stesch, glad you got it fixed up. Start it up, pull the clutch, ram that bitch into first and hold on! Then when nothing happens until you release the clutch lever, yell out "hell yeah!" and go for a ride.

The weather is just messing with us now like it does every year Jim and Greeny. I'd move south but I like snow...just not crazy about it after February.

Quick Reply: Night Train Pictures