Night Train Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Night Train 666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey What's up guys, hope everyone's been doing well. A couple newbie questions for the most trusted thread on the net

1. I had had a nightster first, then sold it to get my train. I liked the way the clutch felt (lever at least) on both bikes, but I hear people talk about "clutch adjustments" a lot. I've tweaked the lever before etc, but an actual adjustment involves taking off the primary cover. My question is how do you know when you need a clutch adjustment?

2. Also, I have been trying to do all my own work on the bike. I bought the 60$ book for my bike and its been helping a lot. However when it comes to a "complete" service say at 20,000 miles, will I have a problem doing everything recommended for the service myself?? Wondering how many of you do ALL their own work, and how many just do most of it and take it into the dealer from time to time for things like the 20,000 mile service and maybe some peace of mind.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
cha0tik
3rd Gear

First I want to say, I'm glad there is a thread dedicated to this bike (and for more than just pictures.)

With that being said, I'm coming over from the sport bike world and feel slightly lost with this thing, especially when it comes to the sissy bar. My wife wants the pad more in the middle of her back, rather than just the swell of it. I'm okay with that but am not sure where to look for and for what.

I went to my local dealer and they basically said there isn't much we can do, and that the optional bar would only gain an inch if that. However when I look through some of the pictures here, I can't believe him. Some of you guys have some thicker passenger seats and about 3-4" gap between that and the sissy bar pad.

Also, are all Softails of 2007 (even 2006 maybe?) 200mm? Just wondering when looking at used equipment. My father-in-law suggested hitting up some of the local swap meets.

Any pointers for this newb?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NT666: Never had issues with my clutch regarding feel, or what not. I always thought it was what it was and dealt with it. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Chaotic: You have more options than you were told. Hell, just got to HD.com and search sissy bar. Mine is a quick release that comes up almost a foot, wife likes it.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundee
I thought I pm'd you that 1637 n 800 w harrisville it 84404
Mark don't be sending me any skid marked undies from jojo.
B, fvker! Hahahaha !!!
Cool pics! How you been bro?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mursenary
There are some really beautiful NT's in here. I am on the hunt for one right now but I am OCD about things so if its not pretty much perfect condition then I dont want it.
Contact Robert on facebook... His train is quick and has everything you need, for a great price.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/robert.taylor.169

Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lund... lmao I would but we would be paying way to much for shipping... Hahahaha

666 Yes a lot of us do our own service and work on the bikes... As for the Clutch adjustment it's about fell to each rider, some like it to engage as soon as they start to release it and some later... Basics are you set the adjusment on the cable inthe center and then you take off the derby cover (at this time you could replace it with one of mine... lol) there is a allen bolt with a nut on it (center of clutch hub) crack the nut, use the allen screw to adjust, lock nut down... careful, check book I can't remember if that is reversed thread or not... Close it all up and now you can adjust either way with the cable (fine adjusments) Hopes this helps and props on getting the manual... I was luky enough to get mine from Outlaw years ago. (Thanks Chucky)

Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

666. Is the pull to stiff? Put an easy pull in it. Or is it full/ or not engaging? Look under the rubber boot halfway down the cable.
As far as a 20k. It's a cinch. Just follow your manual. I was mechanically retarded when I bought my bike, now I've been in more motors than I can count.

Life good Jo. How's paradise?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Mursenary
Advanced

I sent the fella a message. Thanks

Last edited by Mursenary; 04-18-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Night Train 666
Advanced

Originally Posted by story808
Lund... lmao I would but we would be paying way to much for shipping... Hahahaha

666 Yes a lot of us do our own service and work on the bikes... As for the Clutch adjustment it's about fell to each rider, some like it to engage as soon as they start to release it and some later... Basics are you set the adjusment on the cable inthe center and then you take off the derby cover (at this time you could replace it with one of mine... lol) there is a allen bolt with a nut on it (center of clutch hub) crack the nut, use the allen screw to adjust, lock nut down... careful, check book I can't remember if that is reversed thread or not... Close it all up and now you can adjust either way with the cable (fine adjusments) Hopes this helps and props on getting the manual... I was luky enough to get mine from Outlaw years ago. (Thanks Chucky)
Thanks everyone. Lund, my clutch is actually on the looser side then most of my friends. I like it that way. It'd be nice to get an easy pull, shift, then release and have it engage right when the lever snaps back into the original position, then repeat for the next shift. It's almost there.

Mark, I get your hint about the derby cover :-) and thanks for the advice. The cover came out exactly how I'd hope'd. You do great work my friend. Had a shitty winter this year out east. But now that its warmer, I hand painted the tear on the cover you did for me today. Have to put clear coat on the tear tomorrow. Then gonna change my primary fluids this weekend and I'll finally put it on. Here's a pic of what I just painted. Ill post a pic of it on the train this weekend. The tear looks better in real life than in the pic. Getting some weird reflections...

Name:  primaryblood.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  115.1 KB

Last edited by Night Train 666; 04-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

B, been all good can't complain. Lol

666 that's cool! I like it.

Quick Reply: Night Train Pictures