Crossbones Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:50 PM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Thumbs up thoughts on seats

Originally Posted by boyer911
the lower profile seat really looks great. $$$ well spent. is it comfortable? the stock seat is plush enough to ride all day but this one looks like your a$$ might hate you after a couple of hours...
I agree the stock seat works fine. But it really isn't so much how much padding you have. As it is the shape and support. I use to run Corbin seats on several of my old metric bikes. They were always thinner and harder than the stockers. But after a day on the road I had less problems with my legs and feet. I made several runs from Arkansas to Florida on both a Honda GB500 and a Hawk Gt with both stock and Corbin saddles. The Corbins won every time. Once I was on the GB and stopped for an oil change in Ft.Walton Beach. The owner was so impressed that I rode that little 500cc thumper cafe bike that far......He took me out for lunch while his boys changed the oil. As we left he told the mechanic to check it over from end to end. When we got back. All he would let me pay for was the oil. During lunch it turned out we knew a lot of the same people.....Who would figure?
I made the same trip last year on the stock Xbone seat and had no issues with comfort. I' wont be goin to Florida this year. I think I'm gonna ride down to Chihuahua Mexico.

Old 03-13-2009 | 02:42 AM
Bluegrass Phil
Cruiser
Thumbs up Crossbones from France !

Hi Guys, here are some pictures of my 2008 Crossbones ... from France. I installed a LaRosa seat and I like it much better than stock ! What do you think ?

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:09 AM
Flying Hog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boyer911
the lower profile seat really looks great. $$$ well spent. is it comfortable? the stock seat is plush enough to ride all day but this one looks like your a$$ might hate you after a couple of hours...
First lets start with what I have for an *** and what it has to carry. I go about 180 lbs and do not have much of a rear to carry the wieght with. I normally cannot sit on a bleacher or other hard surface for very long.

I am not sure what the stock seat felt like after a 100 miles, I replaced the thing before I took delivery. I did not like the feel of it in the showroom because it felt like I was sitting "on top" as opposed to "in". Someone suggested that I the HD Standard Solo seat which gives a more "in the pocket" type feel. It also has a more vintage look which definetely appealed to me.

Now the important stuff, yes, the ride is more comfortable than you would expect. There is very little padding compared to the stock seat. But, the molded "dish" shape actually distributes the weight evenly and results in a comfortable ride for short and medium distances (1-100 miles).

I rode the other day for a total of 125 miles with a small break during for a quick lunch. By the end of the ride I was starting to feel some slight discomfort near the base of my tail bone. When I say slight I am talking enough to identify a location, not enough to be dwelling on it as I was riding. I think this is due to the fact that as you ride the tendency is to slide back to the furthest aft position in the seat, which facilitates stretching your legs to the greatest extent. When this happens, your butt is pushed up against the back of the "pocket" in the seat, leading to a potential hotspot.

My impression is that I could have rode another 125 miles, with a gas break, and I would have been feeling moderately saddle sore. With that said, I would guess that would be the case with nearly any seat that wasn't designed for touring.

So, in conclusion, I love the look of the seat. For putting around town and half day rides it is quite comfortable. For serious distance, I see potential problems. For me this is acceptable, as my style of riding facilitates the trade off. I have not ridden any serious distances yet, but I am planning an Atlanta to Pensacola run next month. Distance is roughly 350 miles and I will be utilizing back rodes and taking breaks to smell the coffee. My gut feeling is that this will likely be the farthest I would care to push this seat in a single day with breaks. We'll see.

FH

Last edited by Flying Hog; 03-13-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:15 PM
Tartarus
Road Warrior

Nice looking bike Phil I like the red grips.

Old 03-13-2009 | 02:31 PM
Bluegrass Phil
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Thanks, I appreciate !

Old 03-13-2009 | 03:44 PM
jisham
Cruiser

Phil, that looks great and I agree about the red accents! How does the seat mount up by the gas tank? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2009 | 09:31 PM
White Guy
|
Tourer

Sweet ride... Love all the red accents... Well done sir....

WG

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Phil
Hi Guys, here are some pictures of my 2008 Crossbones ... from France. I installed a LaRosa seat and I like it much better than stock ! What do you think ?

Old 03-14-2009 | 12:17 PM
Bluegrass Phil
Cruiser
Cool

Originally Posted by jisham
Phil, that looks great and I agree about the red accents! How does the seat mount up by the gas tank? Thanks.
Hi, thanks for all the nice comments ! I'm using the stock fixation on the frame that I had to "dremel" a little bit (because it's a little too large) and I bought a solo seat "concealed" mounting bracket at J&P Cycles that I also had to "dremel" a little bit but everything turned out fine in the end !

Old 03-14-2009 | 01:38 PM
bigcajun
Advanced

great looking bike phil. the extra red ya put on there really looks good on there. great job

Old 03-16-2009 | 03:11 PM
White Guy
|
Tourer

Finally got the RSD fender on... Here are some pics..

Name:  bones006.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  bones009.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  bones011.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  bones010.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  133.9 KB