Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

Priceamp, good job and looks good too. Nothing like chrome on a black bike.

Z-edge, I can only say one thing, CHROME-ITTES, no cure.

Mojo, hows that set of 422's doing? Also love the new seat, how does it feel and fit?

Beau, tha ol' Silver Streak is looking good, hows the new air ride doing?

Not much going on here, waiting for the front tire to thin a little more in hopes of getting a Torque rim and rotor to go along with a new front tire. I think the wife will understand about having matching shoes!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Priceamp, good job and looks good too. Nothing like chrome on a black bike.

Z-edge, I can only say one thing, CHROME-ITTES, no cure.

Mojo, hows that set of 422's doing? Also love the new seat, how does it feel and fit?

Beau, tha ol' Silver Streak is looking good, hows the new air ride doing?

Not much going on here, waiting for the front tire to thin a little more in hopes of getting a Torque rim and rotor to go along with a new front tire. I think the wife will understand about having matching shoes!!!
progressives are still a bit bumpier than stock; not horrible but rougher. I added about 2 turns of preload, might need 3 or 4 more turns.
Solo seat is comfy on the azzthough there is zero back support, I wouldn't want to take long trips with it. Fits pretty well, adding the bracket to the fender was impossible with the bike lowered; couldn't get my hand under the fender. It was either remove the rear wheel or temporarily raise the suspension and I chose the latter. Love the looks of the solo!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:56 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

voodoo thanks i got lucky geting the set

Mojo story with the cables where the throttle cablebroke again so it was easier to just use the idle cable along side the road to get it home. Unforchanetly i broke the idle cable yesturday aboutamile fromthe house so i had to use my right middle finger to adjust the throttle on the run because i knew what happened so no use pulling over. between this bike and my ironhead ive went through 4throttle cables and 2 idle cables i converted to throttle cables. Ive had the same problem with my DRZ. I have acouple of bad habbits. I need to find the idestructible throttle cables any helpapprectiated thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM
voodoochild
Cruiser

Mojo,
the new seat looks low and mean on your bike. I've had a couple of corbins in the past and i found they needed a few miles to break in. After that they got even more comfortable. I had a problem with the nut and bolt that holds down the back of the stock seat. The fender on my bike sat so low i couldnt get my hand in there to hold the nut while i turned the bolt on top of the fender. I ended up getting a thick "washer" style bolt and siliconed it on the underside of the fender so its held in place while i thread the bolt in above. No more squeezing my arm under the fender now.

Priceamp,
that may have been a lot of work but think of it this way. Your now one of few who have the chrome covers onand they look great. AND you have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself !

I'm still waitin on some good weather here. In the meantime:
changed all fluids, adj primary chain, remove and repaint stock outer primary (that HD bead blast paint works great !) greased steering head bearings, changed spark plugs (25,000 miles on orig ones. ) changed fork oil, replaced se air filter with K+N, etc etc.
Oh ya and a chrome voltage reg cover.

Can anyone help out with this question?
So far i've been told there is no idle adjustment on the fuel injected models. However when changing the air filter i found a small adj screw on the unit that the throttle cable attaches to on the motor. Looks like a pain to adj, but can i simply drop the idle slightly with that screw? Will it adversely effect the bike? I find the newer harleys dont have as nice an idle sound to them.

cheers

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/861DCC7ED90D47A08E52788B250DAA45.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: voodoochild

Mojo,
the new seat looks low and mean on your bike. I've had a couple of corbins in the past and i found they needed a few miles to break in. After that they got even more comfortable. I had a problem with the nut and bolt that holds down the back of the stock seat. The fender on my bike sat so low i couldnt get my hand in there to hold the nut while i turned the bolt on top of the fender. I ended up getting a thick "washer" style bolt and siliconed it on the underside of the fender so its held in place while i thread the bolt in above. No more squeezing my arm under the fender now.

Priceamp,
that may have been a lot of work but think of it this way. Your now one of few who have the chrome covers onand they look great. AND you have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself !

I'm still waitin on some good weather here. In the meantime:
changed all fluids, adj primary chain, remove and repaint stock outer primary (that HD bead blast paint works great !) greased steering head bearings, changed spark plugs (25,000 miles on orig ones. ) changed fork oil, replaced se air filter with K+N, etc etc.
Oh ya and a chrome voltage reg cover.

Can anyone help out with this question?
So far i've been told there is no idle adjustment on the fuel injected models. However when changing the air filter i found a small adj screw on the unit that the throttle cable attaches to on the motor. Looks like a pain to adj, but can i simply drop the idle slightly with that screw? Will it adversely effect the bike? I find the newer harleys dont have as nice an idle sound to them.

cheers

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/861DCC7ED90D47A08E52788B250DAA45.jpg[/IMG]
I think that's just a stop screw........isn't the idle controlled by the ECU? I think on my PCIII I can set the idle in the program.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont know much about ful inj. butmark were its at andtry tobring it counterclockwise a bit thats were its located on a cv card and super e I imagine it can be used to control idle that make sense to me since your throttle controlls the RPMs dont it?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don’t make an idle adjust any where on an EFI bike other then at the ECU. Not sure if all fuel management systems allow you to adjust the idle. I know my SERT does. On the other hand all the V-Twin motors require an idle from 900-1000 rpm to keep the appropriate amount of oil at the top of the motor. The idle is set at 1000 rpm from the factory and there’s very little difference when sent at 900, so I left mine at 1000. I totally know what you mean that bike newer then the EVO’s motors just don’t have that loping potato potato sound. On the other hand, I love how these new motors don’t leak. Argh, the trade offs.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Priceamp,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just hope it runs right and doesn’t leak oil. Getting a good and even torque on some of the bolts with the frame in the way was a PIA.

Mojo,
Last piece of engine chrome is the tranny top. Any word of wisdom to remove the oil tank? Looking at the manual, it looks to be as much of PIA to remove the oil tank as it was to remove the rocker boxes.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: priceamp

Priceamp,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just hope it runs right and doesn’t leak oil. Getting a good and even torque on some of the bolts with the frame in the way was a PIA.

Mojo,
Last piece of engine chrome is the tranny top. Any word of wisdom to remove the oil tank? Looking at the manual, it looks to be as much of PIA to remove the oil tank as it was to remove the rocker boxes.
The battery and battery tray and all have to come out and it was a bitch to get to the new hose clamps when reinstalling the drain line and feed line.The drain line was the biggest bitch. I scratched my old tank on the coil mountgetting it out so be careful. Not a terrible job, but likeanything else take your time.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:17 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser

priceamp, thats exactly what i was talking about with the idle on the new bikes being high and not having that old evo, straight pipe potato potato sound. I hear ya about the oil pressure being lower with a lower idle and also the charging system might not work as well at a lower rpm.

Like hdpearson says it should ought to be like any standard throttle setup where you can change the idle at the throttle cable end, but i've been told by so many people that the ecu controls idle that maybe it wouldnt be wise to mess with it. If its not gonna sound much different at say 700 rpm idle then thered be no sense changing it.

I've loctited the breather assembly back on today so i think i'll leave well enough alone. Still makes me kinda curious though. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Doesnt it make you wonder why more companies dont make bolt on chrome covers that dont require removal of the stock pcs? Like say the kuryaken inner primary cover, or front fork chrome covers? I guess that'd take all the fun out of it [8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/7FECEA4FE6B74F8C84732116F02192D1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures