Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

ORIGINAL: Grendel UK

I did this job a couple of months back. I found the caps are quite awkward to get off, I thought I was going to break something, but you do need to be 'persuasive' with them. In your picture if you turn your screwdriver in an anticlockwise direction, the shape of the cap (which has rounded corners) will force the colar below the cap and screwdiver in your pic down on its spring until the cap just pops out. Applying downward pressure on the screwdriver as you turn it helps, but I was not able to get enough leverage to push the collar down just by pushing down, you have to twist at the same time. It is hard to describe, but not really that hard to do. Once you have done it you will wonder what the fuss was about, but if you have never done before, it might feel a little scary
I didn't have any problems getting them off. Put the blade in, push down while turning. Putting them back in is a bit trickier........you have to slide the upper edge into position and using the screwdriver as a lever on the bottom edge, lever the screwdriver up while pushing the retainer in with a finger. Once you do one, you get it, and it slips out of place a time or two, but it eventually works out.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys for the help on removing the spring cap retainer and for the confidence that I won’t bust them if I mussel them. I’ll try again tonight after work.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When replacing the rocker covers, did you guys replace the breather baffle hole O-ring and the top push rod O-ring? The manual by default always tells you to replace all O-rings and gaskets, but it seems to me with only 12K on the bike and if these O-rings are ok when I take them off, I see no point in replacing them.

And crap, I just called the dealer and asked why is it taking so long to get my dang lifter cover chrome bolts and they said Harley had to order them from their manufacture, which adds a week lead time, and they won't be in until mid next week. Argh! So I might go ahead and put the new chrome lifter covers on with the old bolts and replace the bolts with chrome once they come in. But it sure looks easier to replace the lifter bolts with the push rod covers off, but if I wait for the chrome bolts to come in, I'll loose this entire weekend and I'm taking the wife to the beach next weekend to the see the Los Lonely Boys. Believe me, I'll never again not order everything I need all at once to complete a job.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mojo,
does moving that plate make your tire look fat?

seriously though, it looks great now so imagine what its gonna look like when you get the shocks and seat on !

Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

I put a littl more angle on the plate and it looks better to me......and yes it makes my tire look fat [8D]

Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey mojo.....you're running a PC III, right? Did you have it dialed in by a dyno tuner? What kind of numbers are you producing?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:27 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

I left the a/f ratio a bit rich to compensate for the hot NC summers and I think it was about 74 hp.I can'tremember the torque but it was respectable for the BR pipes.
I've got the chart somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Hey Beau, are your chrome hand controls the HD ones?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My hand controls are chrome. I had my original ones chromed, but after having them on for 1 year, I'm not impressed with them. Maybe I'm harsh, but I can see a bit of roughness around the screws. After I'm done with my rear wheel, and air ride, and engine, I'll probably spend my next wad on new HD chrome hand controls. I really can notice a difference in mine, versus new chrome ones from the MOCO.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine too are factory. So beau, how's that air ride?

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures