Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

I've got 422's coming first of next week.......I'd like a report on ride quality after being lowered as well.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 422's are one of the BEST mods I've done...I have mine set at a full 2" lower than stock height...I weigh 220 lbs...I have them set on the lowest preload setting and Inever "bottom out" andthe ride/handlingis better than stock on the straight stretchesAND in the curves...between the422's and the Metz rear tireI have a noticable improvement in handling...they'll thin your wallet up some (compared to a "bolt kit"), but they'reworth it IMO.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
voodoochild
Cruiser

Mojo,
hope you didnt light up a smoke after guzzling that petrol !

Priceamp,
A member on this site (jackyl ??) makes and sells those tank lifts for $20 bucks shipped i think. Heads up if you loosen off the tank bolts that the tank doesnt rest on your new rocker box tops and scratch em ! I was thinking a rolled up towel under the tank just to see how it looks when lifted.

HDPearson13,
that carb cleaner works especially good for cleaning up stock cases after an oil filter change.

FXSTIGuy,
Your bike looks great ! How does the Metzeler 880 compare price wise with the dunlop ? Would you have a pic of your bike from the back ?

cheers all
voodoochild

Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Added my side mount plate bracket today. Almost seems too far back.....you think?
There's nowhere else to mount it, the belt guard prevents it. In fact the inside of the mount is only 1/4" or so from the pulley. I'm glad I ordered my 422's because it really looks like a motocross bike with the tag gone now.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

another

Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mojo- I know what you feel like waiting for your new seat.....I'm still waiting for my air ride to get here.....still back ordered. I rode about 100 miles today; great temp, but REALLY windy. Can't complain......wasn't cold or snowy.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
ecoli
Cruiser

Hey mojo,I mounted my sideplate where the rear-most bolt on the belt gaurd is. Granted, my belt gaurd is removed, but depending on the mounting point of your plate that would work.

I like where yours is at, I think it looks fine. However, I like how mine looks too, it's slightly higher, more angled, and not so far back.

I don't think anyone here would consider your bike ugly, even if you put your plate on your handlebars.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ecoli

Hey mojo,I mounted my sideplate where the rear-most bolt on the belt gaurd is. Granted, my belt gaurd is removed, but depending on the mounting point of your plate that would work.

I like where yours is at, I think it looks fine. However, I like how mine looks too, it's slightly higher, more angled, and not so far back.

I don't think anyone here would consider your bike ugly, even if you put your plate on your handlebars.

Did you mount it on the upper swingarm or the lower?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Help. As some of you know, I’m putting on a chrome engine kit and I need some help. I can’t figure out how to take the push rod covers off. The manual says to “insert the blade of screwdriver into the cast loop of the spring cap retainer and while pushing down on the spring cap, rotate the bottom of the screwdriver toward outboard side to remove.” The pic I attached is basically the same pic in the manual with the above instructions.

My problem is that I can’t budge the spring cap. I’ve tried tapping it with a mallet to loosen it up and I’ve wrapped the cap with a rag and use pliers to move, but the spring cap just won’t budge. Anybody have any suggestions to help remove the push rod covers.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Grendel UK
Advanced

I did this job a couple of months back. I found the caps are quite awkward to get off, I thought I was going to break something, but you do need to be 'persuasive' with them. In your picture if you turn your screwdriver in an anticlockwise direction, the shape of the cap (which has rounded corners) will force the colar below the cap and screwdiver in your pic down on its spring until the cap just pops out. Applying downward pressure on the screwdriver as you turn it helps, but I was not able to get enough leverage to push the collar down just by pushing down, you have to twist at the same time. It is hard to describe, but not really that hard to do. Once you have done it you will wonder what the fuss was about, but if you have never done before, it might feel a little scary

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures