Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

I'm wondering too if you'll be changing out the fuel filter screen while you have the tank off ? HD recommends it around 20,000 miles i believe. There was a good post about doing it about 2 weeks ago on here.

I only have 12K miles on my bike, so no, I wasn't planning on changing my fuel filter. And like mojojones, my guess is that I'll have that tank off so many times in the near future it will become 2nd nature to take it off. On my old '65 BSA, it seemed I was always taking that tank off. However, I probably at some point, I will install a quick disconnect on that stupid fuel cross over tube.

Speaking of tanks and chrome, has anybody here considered using a 2" tank lift to better show off their chrome rocker covers?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mojo, that was the thread i was thinking about for the in tank fuel filter.

priceamp, lots of info in the search area for tank lifts, still trying to find a before and after pic for the 2" lift. I think they look kinda cool, but i dont think i'd personally have room since my bars are so close to the center console now.

Got the shed cleaned up today and the bike up on the lift. Put a little of that HD bead blast paint on a small spot on the primary. Looks like it might work well, but def need to take the primary off, scuff it up a little, and paint it inside where its warmer.

cheers
Ian.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/41373B589B5B42A69C7FC0C171FFD88C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

priceamp, lots of info in the search area for tank lift

Yes, I searched for tank lift and think I'm up to speed and I also snoop in the Dyna forum where there's a lot of threads on tank lift. I asked the question here because I don't think I've ever read anybody using a tank lift on a standard. I've seen pics of a tank lift on the fatboy, but never a standard and you'd think if we go through the effort to put on chrome rocker covers and housing, we'd like to show off the new chrome a little more with a tank lift. For me running stock bars, I think my turn signals would hit the tank even with a 2" lift. Guess now that I have my tank off, I can put it back on the bike and manually lift the tank approx. 2" and answer my own question. Guess I'll do that tonight. [8D]

I've also been concern that the tank lift will expose the big hole between the front of the tank and the frame backbone and look stupid.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Hey mojo, I haven't forgotten about the pics. of the turn signals, maybe I'll be able to get to it sometime this week. But looking at the picture of your bike, you've a hole on the bottom of the footpeg mount, that's where I mounted the lamp. You should have a matching hole on the shifter side too. I used a .250" locking collar as a spacer because the lamp hit the footpeg bracket but you've extended forward controls, so the spaceing may have different requirments.
I then run the wiring back along the bottom of the frame, up behind the oil tank, and into the wiring trough, around the battery, and along the backbone to the plug under the tank. I think I had to add about two maybe three feet of wire. Not a bad job, just a pain in the *** draining the tank because of that darn cross over tube. I think that whenever I finally get around to my custom paint job, I'm going to have some type of shut-off valve reworked into the tank so it might make it easier to remove.

last time I drained my tank I drank about 4 oz of gasoline. [:'(] Dumbass me decided I was tired of fumbling with something to plug the nipple on the tank. Since I added the braided crossover it is a little more difficult; you can't squeeze the line to stop the flow of gas.I figured I'd siphon it and ........GULP........tastes like $hit. I burped gas fumes til the next morning. [>:]

Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Jeez, 4 oz of gas? That had to suck. That's gotta be worse then swallowing salt water. Surprised you didn't barf. I bought a 4 dollar bulb and siphon hose at Joe's. You can see it in the pic I posted here yesterday when I was siphoning the tank.

This won't work for a nice braided cross over tube, but I read a post that a guy said, he just uses two hemostats on the rubber hose and then cuts the hose in half. Then he drains both sides and his done. When I was at Ace hardware I bought a female to female barbed 5/16" hose adapter. I plugged this into one end of my siphon hose and the other end into the cross over hose and unclipped the hemostat and drained that side of the hose. With this technique, one would have just have to do it twice. While also at Ace, I bought 2' of 5/16" fuel hose, which looks exactly like what Harley uses and 2 hose clamps, the re-useable kind you screw to tighten.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, why get all creative and fancy with draining the tank. Just hemostat clamp both ends of the cross over tube, cut the dang thing in half, drain both sides of the tank, then replace hose with a new piece when you put the tank back on. No need to siphon gas. KISS

Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: priceamp

priceamp, lots of info in the search area for tank lift

Yes, I searched for tank lift and think I'm up to speed and I also snoop in the Dyna forum where there's a lot of threads on tank lift. I asked the question here because I don't think I've ever read anybody using a tank lift on a standard. I've seen pics of a tank lift on the fatboy, but never a standard and you'd think if we go through the effort to put on chrome rocker covers and housing, we'd like to show off the new chrome a little more with a tank lift. For me running stock bars, I think my turn signals would hit the tank even with a 2" lift. Guess now that I have my tank off, I can put it back on the bike and manually lift the tank approx. 2" and answer my own question. Guess I'll do that tonight. [8D]

I've also been concern that the tank lift will expose the big hole between the front of the tank and the frame backbone and look stupid.
Ebay specials if i remember corectly 19 bucks dude

Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Nice. That really shows off the chrome rocker covers.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: priceamp

Jeez, 4 oz of gas? That had to suck. That's gotta be worse then swallowing salt water. Surprised you didn't barf. I bought a 4 dollar bulb and siphon hose at Joe's. You can see it in the pic I posted here yesterday when I was siphoning the tank.

This won't work for a nice braided cross over tube, but I read a post that a guy said, he just uses two hemostats on the rubber hose and then cuts the hose in half. Then he drains both sides and his done. When I was at Ace hardware I bought a female to female barbed 5/16" hose adapter. I plugged this into one end of my siphon hose and the other end into the cross over hose and unclipped the hemostat and drained that side of the hose. With this technique, one would have just have to do it twice. While also at Ace, I bought 2' of 5/16" fuel hose, which looks exactly like what Harley uses and 2 hose clamps, the re-useable kind you screw to tighten.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, why get all creative and fancy with draining the tank. Just hemostat clamp both ends of the cross over tube, cut the dang thing in half, drain both sides of the tank, then replace hose with a new piece when you put the tank back on. No need to siphon gas. KISS
The braided hose can't be crimped so I have to slip a 4 foot section of garden hose over the loose end of the crossover and a small tube with a plug over the nipple...at the same time.
I'm through with sucksiphoning. [8D]I'll get a bulb style for future drainings.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

I got the pads for my J&S lift today. In the pic, I’ve got the bike jacked up and am spinning the wheel in 5th gear watching the rocker arms move the valves to determine Top Dead Center which will unload the push rods.

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures