Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

ORIGINAL: priceamp

Do the cylinders one at a time.....you MUST have the piston at TDC on the compression stroke when removing and replacing the rocker arm assemblies.
Thanks for the info. I do have the service manual. It might have been the first thing I bought for the bike. I’m not looking forward to torqueing that left rear bolt on the rear rocker housing. I did buy the snap on 12 point 7/16” torque extension.

Since I’m concerned about putting the weight of the bike on the shocks, I’m waiting to receive some pads for the J&S lift I just bought so I can rotate the rear wheel to find TDC. Then I’m also waiting for the chrome lifter covers (blocks) bolts to arrive. I ordered these from the local Harley dealership a week ago Sunday. I called yesterday and then said UPS lost their order. Yeah right. Crap, I should have ordered them through M&M Cycle when I bought the rest of the chrome engine cover package and chrome bolts. I just didn’t know at the time that I’d blow through the chrome engine package so fast. I figured I’d savor the job of putting on the pieces over a longer period of time. But I know now the addiction of chrome. Once I put on primary, timing and tranny side covers, now the aluminum rocker boxes look like crap as does the aluminum rear wheel. Polished steel handlebars have got to go too.
Cool.......yell out if you get stuck or need some info.....several of us have done this job.
Tell me about the chrome addiction......[8D] I couldn't wait to change that rear wheel. Even a standard costs too much money to come with an ugly wheel like that.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: wingnutt

Thanks Mojo, Ive been checkin out the mods on your ride, very nice. How is the leg clearance on the air cleaner?

I'm 5'8"......no leg clearance problems here! LOL!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mojo, I haven't forgotten about the pics. of the turn signals, maybe I'll be able to get to it sometime this week. But looking at the picture of your bike, you've a hole on the bottom of the footpeg mount, that's where I mounted the lamp. You should have a matching hole on the shifter side too. I used a .250" locking collar as a spacer because the lamp hit the footpeg bracket but you've extended forward controls, so the spaceing may have different requirments.
I then run the wiring back along the bottom of the frame, up behind the oil tank, and into the wiring trough, around the battery, and along the backbone to the plug under the tank. I think I had to add about two maybe three feet of wire. Not a bad job, just a pain in the *** draining the tank because of that darn cross over tube. I think that whenever I finally get around to my custom paint job, I'm going to have some type of shut-off valve reworked into the tank so it might make it easier to remove.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Hey mojo, I haven't forgotten about the pics. of the turn signals, maybe I'll be able to get to it sometime this week. But looking at the picture of your bike, you've a hole on the bottom of the footpeg mount, that's where I mounted the lamp. You should have a matching hole on the shifter side too. I used a .250" locking collar as a spacer because the lamp hit the footpeg bracket but you've extended forward controls, so the spaceing may have different requirments.
I then run the wiring back along the bottom of the frame, up behind the oil tank, and into the wiring trough, around the battery, and along the backbone to the plug under the tank. I think I had to add about two maybe three feet of wire. Not a bad job, just a pain in the *** draining the tank because of that darn cross over tube. I think that whenever I finally get around to my custom paint job, I'm going to have some type of shut-off valve reworked into the tank so it might make it easier to remove.
I thought that may have been where you mounted them. No problem taking the tank off.....I've had it off so many times it's a breeze now [8D] thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
voodoochild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

priceamp,
thanks for posting those pics ! I know theres a DIY section, but i tend to kinda follow along in this softail thread. Please post a large before and after pic if you can when your done. I'm wondering too if you'll be changing out the fuel filter screen while you have the tank off ? HD recommends it around 20,000 miles i believe. There was a good post about doing it about 2 weeks ago on here.

hdpearson, i'm gonna spray a little of that bead blast paint on one spot of my primary today just to see how it matches up. I'll let you know how it looks. I'll have to take the primary off to paint it properly though. Got everything i need yesterday to do it and the 30,000 mile service as well. Now if it would just hit like 40 degrees out i'd be all set !

Theres an interesting article about the S+S quick set up kit in American Iron Mag April edition. I believe it might be the same one that mojo and beaureed are running.

cheers.
Ian.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Regarding the post on the fuel filter you mentioned, can you provide any more information other than 'about two weeks ago here.' My bike's filter did not get changed at 20,000 miles, and I wonder if it is really necessary to do so. I'll change it at 40,000 miles (sometime this summer), and the post about the fuel filter would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Read about the fuel filter here:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2370695/tm.htm

Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Thanks. I missed this posted and appreciate the reference.

BTW - great looking bike there!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: voodoochild

priceamp,
thanks for posting those pics ! I know theres a DIY section, but i tend to kinda follow along in this softail thread. Please post a large before and after pic if you can when your done. I'm wondering too if you'll be changing out the fuel filter screen while you have the tank off ? HD recommends it around 20,000 miles i believe. There was a good post about doing it about 2 weeks ago on here.

hdpearson, i'm gonna spray a little of that bead blast paint on one spot of my primary today just to see how it matches up. I'll let you know how it looks. I'll have to take the primary off to paint it properly though. Got everything i need yesterday to do it and the 30,000 mile service as well. Now if it would just hit like 40 degrees out i'd be all set !

Theres an interesting article about the S+S quick set up kit in American Iron Mag April edition. I believe it might be the same one that mojo and beaureed are running.

cheers.
Ian.
I am actually running a Power Commander with a custom map and eliminated the o2 sensors (with the plug in eliminators). I useda downloadable map from dynojet for my components and it was toorich in the midrange and on top, and toolean off idle. After a dyno session and remap it really "crisped" up the response, and no more black pipes. I have since added the heavy breather with no change in seat of the pants performance.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OneBlackFly

Thanks. I missed this posted and appreciate the reference.

BTW - great looking bike there!
no problemo, glad to help

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures