Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

Front wheel looks very nice. My front tire is getting thin for tread, hope to get a matching front rim when it's finally time to replace tire. So what did you make your headlamp bracket from?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headlight mount is a headlight mount my local indy shop had lying around.I shortened the length a bit to get it where I wanted it, and made a small wedge to lift the front some.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Front wheel looks very nice. My front tire is getting thin for tread, hope to get a matching front rim when it's finally time to replace tire. So what did you make your headlamp bracket from?
How many miles do you have on the front tire? I only had 3100 miles on my front and it wasstill good of course, but I would say half gone. I went ahead and put a new Metzeler on the new wheel to be done with it for awhile, and this way it matches the rear as well.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Got a tad over 6000 miles on the front tire, so it won't be long. Who did you order your rims through? I bought my rear rim and pully through Parts Direct. They laid a hurting on everybody elses prices. Keep us updated on weather you go with the lowering bolts,(as I did), or the 422 shocks. Are you going to sqat the front end too, those upside downy forks might turn unto a pain.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Got a tad over 6000 miles on the front tire, so it won't be long. Who did you order your rims through? I bought my rear rim and pully through Parts Direct. They laid a hurting on everybody elses prices. Keep us updated on weather you go with the lowering bolts,(as I did), or the 422 shocks. Are you going to sqat the front end too, those upside downy forks might turn unto a pain.
I bought my wheels from Bikers Image, they give 20% offPerformance Machine all the time. Funny, on the shipping box where PM sent it toBiker's Image, they address was listed as "Chuck's Muffler & Biker's Image" so it's definately a secondary business, but I got no complaints. They sell cheap with free shipping, and in a reasonable time frame.

I don't think I can lower the forks with a kit, if anything I would probably have to cut the fork springs myself. Which bolts did you use to lower the rear? The 422's are pricey, and I may go that route, though I would want the ones that don't require shock disassembly. i can always add the 422's at a later date.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer

I went with the Arlin Ness bolt kit, but you'll have to tear down the shocks.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
voodoochild
Cruiser

Wow, the bike is lookin pretty cool MoJo !
I've been surfin the net for a sidemount plate and that kury one your talkin about looks really sharp with a decent price tag too. I'd like to trim down the area under the tail light and remove the licence bracket on mine. That way it would really show off the wide tire. Are you thinking the same ?

Cant remember which brand lowering kit i have, but it also required shock teardown. I've got the bike about 1.5 inches down and no problems with ground clearance running the same VH pipes as yours. I did scrape the bottowm pipe tip once on a VERY aggressive interstate on ramp, but the bike was WAY over at the time. I dont find there is any major loss of comfort with the bike that low either, however i am still running the stock seat which i find alooks bulky but is very comfortable. I've ridden 800 mile days fully loaded with a t bag, tent, sleeping bag etc and no problems carying the load.

I'm curious, i changed my front tire last fall (about 22,000 miles on it) I put a dunlop back on and a new tube. Do those rims you have require a tube or are they tubeless?

Again the bike looks great !
cheers
Ian

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/F13EFADCEE244C1D9CC46C3C1A135034.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Wind is blowing about 40 mph today here in eastern NC
best pic I could do, worried the wind would blow the bike over!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MATUCHI

It is a bike with a little history. It was in Hot Bike magazine reader's rides back in 2000 when I sent them a picture and the story. Right after I bought the bike I saw an add for Arlen's shop in one of the bike magazines and decided to call him to see if they really did build my bike. I didn't want to go around and say they built it if they didn't. So I called the shop and told them the story about them building my bike for a guy back in 1990, and they had me send a picture of both sides of my bike to them. After a week I got home and I had a message on my answering machine telling me they remember building the bike, but they didn't build the engine. That was exactly what the original owner told me the day me buddy bought it. So I called them up and asked a few more questions and they referred to my bike as the orange one.

If you look close at the pictures of my bike you will see that they messed up when they painted the left tank. They painted the right 1955-1956 emblem on both sides, never realizing that the left emblem is supposed to have the big curve at the front of Harley-Davidson, not the back. I was thinking about getting it fixed, but how many people can say they have an A-N custom built bike with a pretty major painting flaw? And with the gold leaf in the emblem, I figured it would cost more money than it was worth to me. The name of the color is Tangelo Pearl and it would not be the first color I would pick to paint a bike, but I'm not going to paint over it and ruin an original A-N custom paint job. It does stick out like a sore thumb in a parking lot of black Harleys and I haven't seen any other bikes that look like exactly like it.

Tank emblem painted correctly on right side:

Tank emblem painted backward on left side:
Matuchi,

That rear fender is almost.... deuce'ish.....

Great looking bike. I would keep it exactly like it is.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: voodoochild

Wow, the bike is lookin pretty cool MoJo !
I've been surfin the net for a sidemount plate and that kury one your talkin about looks really sharp with a decent price tag too. I'd like to trim down the area under the tail light and remove the licence bracket on mine. That way it would really show off the wide tire. Are you thinking the same ?

Cant remember which brand lowering kit i have, but it also required shock teardown. I've got the bike about 1.5 inches down and no problems with ground clearance running the same VH pipes as yours. I did scrape the bottowm pipe tip once on a VERY aggressive interstate on ramp, but the bike was WAY over at the time. I dont find there is any major loss of comfort with the bike that low either, however i am still running the stock seat which i find alooks bulky but is very comfortable. I've ridden 800 mile days fully loaded with a t bag, tent, sleeping bag etc and no problems carying the load.

I'm curious, i changed my front tire last fall (about 22,000 miles on it) I put a dunlop back on and a new tube. Do those rims you have require a tube or are they tubeless?

Again the bike looks great !
cheers
Ian

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/F13EFADCEE244C1D9CC46C3C1A135034.jpg[/IMG]
I've got the LED tailight so I think the plate bracket just unbolts, otherwise trimming would be the solution. I would really prefer to use the bolt kit that does not require tear down, as I don't have a press. I can get the 422's for about $340 but funds are getting slim.....I can always add them later if I don't like the bolt kit.
These wheels don't require a tube, and I have sold my old front profile wheel with the tire, and it just made sense to add a Metzeler up front to match the rear. I put an 80/90x21 on it.....I thought about gooing with a 90/90 but was unsure about clearance with the fender.
Thanks for the comments.....it's still a work inprogress, but getting there!

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures