Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

1cut1, did you change both inner and outer primary on your bike? What brand did you go with, and a rough price if you dont mind my asking ? Do the labour yourself ? Many miles on the bike ?
cheers
Ian.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a bike with a little history. It was in Hot Bike magazine reader's rides back in 2000 when I sent them a picture and the story. Right after I bought the bike I saw an add for Arlen's shop in one of the bike magazines and decided to call him to see if they really did build my bike. I didn't want to go around and say they built it if they didn't. So I called the shop and told them the story about them building my bike for a guy back in 1990, and they had me send a picture of both sides of my bike to them. After a week I got home and I had a message on my answering machine telling me they remember building the bike, but they didn't build the engine. That was exactly what the original owner told me the day me buddy bought it. So I called them up and asked a few more questions and they referred to my bike as the orange one.

If you look close at the pictures of my bike you will see that they messed up when they painted the left tank. They painted the right 1955-1956 emblem on both sides, never realizing that the left emblem is supposed to have the big curve at the front of Harley-Davidson, not the back. I was thinking about getting it fixed, but how many people can say they have an A-N custom built bike with a pretty major painting flaw? And with the gold leaf in the emblem, I figured it would cost more money than it was worth to me. The name of the color is Tangelo Pearl and it would not be the first color I would pick to paint a bike, but I'm not going to paint over it and ruin an original A-N custom paint job. It does stick out like a sore thumb in a parking lot of black Harleys and I haven't seen any other bikes that look like exactly like it.

Tank emblem painted correctly on right side:

Tank emblem painted backward on left side:

Old 03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MATUCHI

It is a bike with a little history. It was in Hot Bike magazine reader's rides back in 2000 when I sent them a picture and the story. Right after I bought the bike I saw an add for Arlen's shop in one of the bike magazines and decided to call him to see if they really did build my bike. I didn't want to go around and say they built it if they didn't. So I called the shop and told them the story about them building my bike for a guy back in 1990, and they had me send a picture of both sides of my bike to them. After a week I got home and I had a message on my answering machine telling me they remember building the bike, but they didn't build the engine. That was exactly what the original owner told me the day me buddy bought it. So I called them up and asked a few more questions and they referred to my bike as the orange one.

If you look close at the pictures of my bike you will see that they messed up when they painted the left tank. They painted the right 1955-1956 emblem on both sides, never realizing that the left emblem is supposed to have the big curve at the front of Harley-Davidson, not the back. I was thinking about getting it fixed, but how many people can say they have an A-N custom built bike with a pretty major painting flaw? And with the gold leaf in the emblem, I figured it would cost more money than it was worth to me. The name of the color is Tangelo Pearl and it would not be the first color I would pick to paint a bike, but I'm not going to paint over it and ruin an original A-N custom paint job. It does stick out like a sore thumb in a parking lot of black Harleys and I haven't seen any other bikes that look like exactly like it.

Tank emblem painted correctly on right side:

Tank emblem painted backward on left side:
Brakes and hand controls look like PM.....are they? The orange paint is unique, I wouldn't have it any other color.......it just kinda goes....know what I mean?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM
geoleather
5th Gear

EDIT:Nevermind

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The forward and hand controls are early Jay Brake: http://www.jbrake.com/index.htm
Black and orange are the Harley colors, so I can live with them. It's probably one of the few 1989 FXST's that has dual front disk brakes. I also put in a heavy duty Rivera Pro Clutch and a D.I.D. X-Ring chain because the cheap chains were stretching too much. For an old bike, it still gets a few looks when I park it.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Hey voodoochild, yes, I did change out the inner and outer primarys to chrome. I went with Harley parts and the outer was about $300 and the inner was about $250. I do all my on work, the outer cover is a walk in the park, the inner, well you better know how to turn some wrenches. As far as milage, I've had it since April 15th of 2006 and have 23,200 miles on it, and 95% of that is to and from work. For the first year anda halfI was driving/riding 90 miles a day to work, so that put the miles on rather quickly. But I've changed jobs and now only have 14 miles round trip so it's cut back the milage big-time.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser

1cut1, thanks for the info. The bike looks great, although you might say i'm a bit biased lol. I've got around 30,000 miles on my bike since spring of 06. (we get 4months of non riding weather in ontario) Ihad the dealer do firstservice as it was thrown in for free, and have tried to do all other maintenance etc myself since then.

My girlfriend just bought an 07 softail deluxe, so im guessing i'm gonna get even more practise. I'm gonna pull the outer primary in a couple of weeks and visually check everything over. I was thinking of putting an auto primary chain tensioner on it while i was in there, but after reading up on several types i think i might just keep on manually checking it.

I've read over inner primary cover replacement and i agree with ya that it looks like a pretty big job. You must be pretty handy with the wrenches.

How about cam chain tensioners? I've not checked mine yet and i've heard that they can get pretty worn by our type of mileage ? Anyone else have any experience with tensioners around the 25 or 30 thousand mile mark ?

cheers
Ian.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/9F86A6F9ABAC49DF895873479C868B4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Big brown truck delivered my front wheel today, and I made a new headlight mount to get the rear of the shella bit further out of the triple trees. Pic is pretty bad, it's dark, and we've had bad storms all day, and the temp has jumped from 50 degrees to 68 since 4:00PM, and now everything is covered in condensation in my garage, including the scoot. Maybe better pics when it clears up.
Next up:
corbin hollywood solo ordered, paid for,and being made
Kuryakyn curved side mount plate bracket bought andcoming as well

still have not decided on lowering by progressive 422's or the cheaper bolt system.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DAMN MOJO! Bike Looks SHARP!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: beaureed445