Softail Standard Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Pops28
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail Standard Pictures

Hey guys, there are a couple of Softails up for BOTM. Hoping you'd go represent the breed and throw a vote in for our pal T_Robb?

Those bagger guys just take these things over, you know...

Thanks!!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Grendel,
Nice ride. Although I like the look of the 21" front wheel, it makes me nervous running a 21" front wheel when I fly over railroad tracks, hit pot holes or road debris. Did you have to change the front end (triple tree, forks etc) to fit the wider tire?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grendel UK

Insurance renewal time has forced me to get a couple of snaps of the bike, so I thought I might as well post.

I have been slowly tinkering as and when I can. Over the last year I have lowered the rear, converted to a 16" front wheel with Fatboy fender (rattle can paint job), fitted chrome rocker box covers and lifter covers, new mirrors and axle nut covers. I have a spoked wheel to go on the rear when the rubber needs changing (soon), a tank lift kit to fit when I have sorted out the clearance issues by fitting new bars, which will force me to go down the route of chrome sliders, and hopefully (if the lead I am following doesn't prove to be a dead end), blacking out the fork tubes. Once all that is done it will be on to doing something about the football air cleaner, custom fabricated fenders, custom paint job, and lots of details. Will it never end? I certainly hope not!

was there a big change in ride quality?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Grendel UK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Priceamp, like you the skinny tyre made me nervous. I was constantly worrying about its tendancy to track down the seams and cracks in the road surface. It was getting to the point where I was microanalysing the road surface in every bend rather than looking through the bend. The wider tyre doesn't have the same problem, so I now have the confidence to take the correct line for the bend rather than avoiding cracks in the road! The wheel I fitted is from a Heritage and fitswith just new wheel spacers and spacing the rotor and caliper correctly. The spacers for the wheel were to properly centre the wheel, which then throws the rotor out. You could either space the rotor or the caliper to realign them. The fatboy fender is a straght fit with just a couple oh washers for spacing again to get the alignment centred.

Mojojones, the change in the ride quality is a big improvement from my perspective, but this is probably as much due to the confidence thing than actual handling. I don't exactly push the envelope in the twistys, but I like to make brisk progress without my sphincter tightening in every bend. The bigger tyre also absorbs the bumps better so that you don't feel the need to check that nothing has shaken off after every pothole.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Grendel UK

Priceamp, like you the skinny tyre made me nervous. I was constantly worrying about its tendancy to track down the seams and cracks in the road surface. It was getting to the point where I was microanalysing the road surface in every bend rather than looking through the bend. The wider tyre doesn't have the same problem, so I now have the confidence to take the correct line for the bend rather than avoiding cracks in the road! The wheel I fitted is from a Heritage and fitswith just new wheel spacers and spacing the rotor and caliper correctly. The spacers for the wheel were to properly centre the wheel, which then throws the rotor out. You could either space the rotor or the caliper to realign them. The fatboy fender is a straght fit with just a couple oh washers for spacing again to get the alignment centred.

Mojojones, the change in the ride quality is a big improvement from my perspective, but this is probably as much due to the confidence thing than actual handling. I don't exactly push the envelope in the twistys, but I like to make brisk progress without my sphincter tightening in every bend. The bigger tyre also absorbs the bumps better so that you don't feel the need to check that nothing has shaken off after every pothole.
I've been happy with my skinny front.......going to the inveretd forks made such a huge ride improvement; no more softail clunk, and no more teeth jarring. The bump absorption is fantastic.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Chrome oil tank added

[IMG]local://upfiles/39515/C83E49B97DAF477292FD12D83C818BEB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 AM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet. Looks like you're done to me . What ya going to do with all the spare parts?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: priceamp

Sweet. Looks like you're done to me . What ya going to do with all the spare parts?
Long ways from done...need front wheel, pulley, rotors, calipers, etc. I just saved the truly expensive stuff for last.
I've sold a few take offs, still have a pile cluttering up the garage [8D]

Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Winter mods - finally finished. NOW FOR SOME RIDING!!!!!!!!

Hope y'all like...........

Cheers

Plasma

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: plasmadaddy

Winter mods - finally finished. NOW FOR SOME RIDING!!!!!!!!

Hope y'all like...........

Cheers

Plasma
aweso0me bike Bro, I love that the bike has a "theme".........everything goes together so well. Great pics too.......nice views!

Quick Reply: Softail Standard Pictures