Fat Boy Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:46 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy Pictures

ORIGINAL: dugan

Nice pipes Trooper. Now can you get chrome solid wheels so I can see how they look on the 07 Fat Boy?
Thanks, dugan! The chrome solids are a great idea, but I'm afraid they'll have to wait. My "Harley Fund" is completely depleted at the moment.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

does anyone know why the 1990 fatboy is silver with yellow rings......... and does anyone know why it is named the fat boy

Old 12-24-2006, 10:33 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

does anyone know why the 1990 fatboy is silver with yellow rings......... and does anyone know why it is named the fat boy
Well, here are your answers straight from the "horse's mouth."

Quoted from Willie G in his "100 Years" Harley book, page 218.

"Now plug yourself into our design department at the end of the eighties. We were working on a Softail model for our 1990 product line that would incorporate disc wheels, an FL front end with a minimal front fender, and a monochromatic silver paint scheme. As it came together, I felt that it needed something to increase its potency - color accents. When it comes to creating impact, few colors are as powerful as yellow, so we added some to our trim pieces like the derby and timer covers, instrument panel, rocker box spacers, and tank graphic. With these simple touches, we gave the model some extra character."

"You're probably wondering how we came up with a name like "Fat Boy," and I've heard a lot of tales about this, nearly all of which are untrue. Here's the real story: it's tough to come up with names that will be popular on the street, given the number of products our customers have nicknamed over the years (Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, hardtail - you get the idea). We always have to ask ourselves, "What's the street going to name this?" and work from there. We were looking for something unusual and maybe a little irreverant, because there's something sort of cool about poking fun at your products from time to time. To me, and to a lot of other insiders who'd seen it, the bike had a massive "fat" look. So the folks in marketing came up with the name "Fat Boy" - and the street picked it up."

Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

XTrooper3936,
Your bike looks great with all the first class changes you have done.
My only criticismconcerns your signature picture. The shadow the pipes cast onto the rear wheel makes it hard to see the shape of the pipes at the rear.
Tom

Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

XTrooper, your bike just keeps getting better and better looking...

Hmm, Chrome Solids, now that's an idea.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:04 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

XTrooper3936,
Your bike looks great with all the first class changes you have done.
My only criticismconcerns your signature picture. The shadow the pipes cast onto the rear wheel makes it hard to see the shape of the pipes at the rear.
Tom
Thanks, Tom! I edited the sig photo a tad. Does that help? Never mind. I think this photo works better anyway.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:00 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

thanks,

i heard this tale, in the 1980s the jap bikes were really taking on. The two bombs we dropped on japan in ww2 were names fat man and little boy(fatboy). thefatmanthe big one was a titianum bombas to the fatboy. The really neat part were the Yellow rings on fat man. I was told by some one that this was hds f u to the jap bikes. more of a shadowed joke. Who cares its sounds like a good story anyhow. I like this version better anyhow. I vote for a new man law. lets change history

Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

look at this color sceme

Old 12-24-2006, 08:49 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pipes look outstanding, XTrooper! Sweeeeeet!

Old 12-25-2006, 10:33 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

thanks,

i heard this tale, in the 1980s the jap bikes were really taking on. The two bombs we dropped on japan in ww2 were names fat man and little boy(fatboy). thefatmanthe big one was a titianum bombas to the fatboy. The really neat part were the Yellow rings on fat man. I was told by some one that this was hds f u to the jap bikes. more of a shadowed joke. Who cares its sounds like a good story anyhow. I like this version better anyhow. I vote for a new man law. lets change history
I've heard that one too. Of course, if that really "was" the real story, Willie G sure as HELL wouldn't put it in print especially in this day and age.

Your new man law proposal? You've got my vote. I say, "Why not change history! Everyone else does!"

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Pictures