Softail Parts This is the place to post your Softail Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

FRAUD / SCAM = Be Aware of this scam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default FRAUD / SCAM = Be Aware of this scam

I have been selling here on the Forum for some time. Well I had my 2004 up for sale Last Aug and it sold then I posted a bunch of extra parts for sale here on the forum.

I got hit by this scam back in Aug and it has happened twice again on parts I have for sale here. I really do not understand the Scam but it involves the buyer wanting your item and offering full price.. Here is the Text I got ( I listed a number to receive texts from in all my adds) I have no idea what would actually happen IF I were to follow thru on this scam? I had something like this happen several years ago and the buyer get me tied up with emails??? I finally just stopped. On this scam - they supposedly send you a check - you deposit it and wait for it to clear??? I have 'heard' that sometimes a check may "Appear' to clear then Later come back as a bad check - you can get hit with fees and if the item is gone.. you out that also.. SO< if you get a text or response like this... just ignore it... ITS FAKE..

This area code is Texas, two weeks ago I got the same scam and it was from FL I told this guy... You need a new scam - your buddie from FL tried this last week... Never heard back.. I did try to call but of course it never goes thru - If you do call , be sure to Block your number with *67 - no need to give them a good number on their caller ID

1-682-628-6207: Thanks for your quick response I'm okay with the price & condition,i plan to send the money in a bank check and USPS it to you, then I will arrange for a pick up after check cleared at your bank.. I'll need your Full Name and Delivery Address or a p.o box for the check to be issue out to you, i await your response and after the check clear my movers will come for pick up asap.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 AM
mofomojo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... Paypal or "No Pal" for me. Thanks for the warning.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:00 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like the old Nigerian scam and their English not so good also!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:59 PM
KaotiK TrendZ
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had this happen about a year ago on a local classified site that really isn't big and well know except for locals. I figured scam right away and so played with them back and forth with emails to see what else they would say. You could tell their verbiage was horrible and eventually they stopped replying. They didn't like that I kept telling them to meet me at a parking lot and bring cash. I was selling a printer so it was only like $30 haha.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Square
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that same scam on occasion. I play along and give them the name address and phone for the local police chief or the District Attorney.

The way iy works is you end up with a check for more than the item's price. The claim some mistake or mix up, tell you to wait until the check clears then send them the excess back.

The trouble is your bank can only hold your funds for something like 7 business days by law. You think it cleared but it may actually take a few weeks for the bank to realize the check/money order/whatever is bad. By the time they get it sorted out you are left holding the bag, so to speak.