Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beach bars on a Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schlacker
Nostalgic: Beach Bars=YES
Nostalgic: Internal wiring=NO
Maybe. Mine will have brake and clutch cables still exposed, and the electrical wires internal. IMO, that will look a lot more old school as the starter USED to be way down low on the side of the engine

Last edited by Dieselvol; 09-17-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: My proofreading sucks
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 AM
kalbo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
Yeah, those are what I'm after! I assume they can internalize my remaining non-braided wires into those bars. I'm assuming that's what all those cable extensions they offer are used for. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a straight answer out of my dealer as to whether my braided cables are long enough BEFORE I agree to have the work done. Every winter, they offer a discount on chroming the front forks. I'll wait for that and get it all done at the same time.
Mine are 36" bikini beach bars, which are a couple inches longer than stock bars. Dropping down to 1.5" risers offest this difference meaning stock length cables are still good. I got mine without the predrilled holes, allowing me to put hole inside the switch housing and completly hiding the wire bundle. This also meant I did not have to remove the connector on wires as I made hole elongated.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kalbo
Mine are 36" bikini beach bars, which are a couple inches longer than stock bars. Dropping down to 1.5" risers offest this difference meaning stock length cables are still good. I got mine without the predrilled holes, allowing me to put hole inside the switch housing and completly hiding the wire bundle. This also meant I did not have to remove the connector on wires as I made hole elongated.
That's a great idea. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schlacker
Nostalgic: Beach Bars=YES
Nostalgic: Internal wiring=NO
Not a lot of electronics on the "old" bikes.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is just my opinion, but here goes: Beach bars are the best looking and worst handling (at slow speeds) handlebars you can get. Also, riding double (especially if you have anything but a petite partner) is 10x more difficult at slow speeds.

You see, beechbars put your 'fulcrum' too close to the mass of the bike and it becomes much more difficult to control or keep upright when stopped (especially with a load on the high rear fender).

I also never kept the windshield on with beechbars - it just did not look right.

If you have anything like a stock seat, you'll also feel (and look) like a huge bump on a log.

I put thousands of miles on those beechbars and didn't give them up lightly, but things are just too squirly as slow speeds with a passenger.

This is why I ultimately changed to taller bars. Now, if I went strictly solo, I'd have kept them because as you can see from my sig pic, they look absolutely killer on the right bike.

Last edited by Benway; 09-19-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
This is just my opinion, but here goes: Beach bars are the best looking and worst handling (at slow speeds) handlebars you can get. Also, riding double (especially if you have anything but a petite partner) is 10x more difficult at slow speeds.

You see, beechbars put your 'fulcrum' too close to the mass of the bike and it becomes much more difficult to control or keep upright when stopped (especially with a load on the high rear fender).

I also never kept the windshield on with beechbars - it just did not look right.

If you have anything like a stock seat, you'll also feel (and look) like a huge bump on a log.

I put thousands of miles on those beechbars and didn't give them up lightly, but things are just too squirly as slow speeds with a passenger.

This is why I ultimately changed to taller bars. Now, if I went strictly solo, I'd have kept them because as you can see from my sig pic, they look absolutely killer on the right bike.
I have found the exact opposite to be true for me both at slow speed and two-up.

I'm glad you found something that works better for you. Your bike sure looked cool with the beach bars.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

my beach bars took a little getting used to but I love them and ridem solo, 2 up and with a windshield. They work great.

Last edited by pipeyeti; 09-19-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm one of those guys that likes to see all the engineering (if you will) on a nostalgic style motorcycle. Nostalgic to me means seeing all of the wiring, uncovered nuts, screws, bolts, welds, etc. I think that might be one of the reasons MoCo keeps that long-*** looping mechanical clutch cable on the deluxe & some of the other softail models. But, I'll draw the line at kick starters!
While, I appreciate the look of sleek, clean lines on truly one-of-a-kind custom motorcycles, to me it doesn't spell "nostalgic"
JMO

Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Benway

Oddly, I hadn't seen your post until today. I pretty much always ride 2 up and am concerned about your opinion on making that harder with beach bars. I see we already have one descending opinion. I wonder what others think?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I believe that beach bars are the nostalgic bars

Great look. What brand of bars?

Bones

Quick Reply: Beach bars on a Deluxe