Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very silly issue with my bike....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts
Default very silly issue with my bike....

apparently my bike is supposed to have a sliding bracket for the license plate mount. it is not there so i just have a little square. so i put my plate on with the two top bolts (vertical mount) and my buddies say my plate looks like it is gonna fly off from flapping in the wind. i guess i could drill a hole in the plate where there is a hole in the mount but there has to be a "proper"way to do this. any ideas?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

check out HOGRIDA's website: http://www.hogrida.com/

he makes and sells laydown license plate brackets. good price / great product

Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M automotive two way tape,or velcro between mount and plate?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree. seems silly

Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Steven725
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Like threadstopper said either of those products would work just fine 3m double sided tape is strong and comes of fairly easy if you need to remove it.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

i made a backing plate that i will try today otherwise i will try the tape.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
apparently my bike is supposed to have a sliding bracket for the license plate mount. it is not there so i just have a little square. so i put my plate on with the two top bolts (vertical mount) and my buddies say my plate looks like it is gonna fly off from flapping in the wind. i guess i could drill a hole in the plate where there is a hole in the mount but there has to be a "proper"way to do this. any ideas?
If I'm reading you right, I had the same issue when I went vertical with my tag
on a side mount bracket. My license tag did in fact bend from the wind so I installed two 5" metal strips bolted from the top two holes. Bolts thru the top holes then bolted the tag to the bottom holes in the metal strips. I also put bolts thru the middle holes in the brackets and drilled two more holes in the plate to hold it. Six bolts total in license plate. Very industrial looking.

The metal strips stiffened the tag so it couldn't bend.

I think the problem is that when you take your tag vertical on the HD side mount, you lose a piece of the tag bracket that was for holding it horizontal so there is no real proper way to do it.

Last edited by atlantaallen; 09-09-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by atlantaallen
If I'm reading you right, I had the same issue when I went vertical with my tag
on a side mount bracket. My license tag did in fact bend from the wind so I installed two 5" metal strips bolted from the top two holes. Bolts thru the top holes then bolted the tag to the bottom holes in the metal strips. I also put bolts thru the middle holes in the brackets and drilled two more holes in the plate to hold it. Six bolts total in license plate. Very industrial looking.

The metal strips stiffened the tag so it couldn't bend.

I think the problem is that when you take your tag vertical on the HD side mount, you lose a piece of the tag bracket that was for holding it horizontal so there is no real proper way to do it.
pretty much. i used some stiff stainless sheet i had laying around. i made a 4x7 rectangle. sanded the edges and made the holes for the plate. then i drilled two holes where i could line it up with the lower mounting holes on the bracket. so my plate is held to the bracket in both positions and the plate is held at both of it's positions. i painted the back of my plate black and zip tied everything together.

i adjusted the exposure on the pic so it could be seen better.

Last edited by Jersey Drew; 03-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

The second half of that bracket that you're missing can still be used in the vertical application. I installed the mount from a Slim on my 2006 Softail Springer.

I installed the plate vertically and bolted that secondary support plate to the main one, and then installed my plate. No issues as of yet.

I can post you a picture this evening if you'd like.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
The second half of that bracket that you're missing can still be used in the vertical application. I installed the mount from a Slim on my 2006 Softail Springer.

I installed the plate vertically and bolted that secondary support plate to the main one, and then installed my plate. No issues as of yet.

I can post you a picture this evening if you'd like.
thanks! i am aware of what it looks like but it did not come with my bike (bought used)... and if i am going to spend money i will get a swing arm mount.

Quick Reply: very silly issue with my bike....