Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014 | 01:03 AM
Den Clem
|
Novice
Default popping on deceleration

I installed Vance & Hines big shots long on my 2013 Heritage. I put in the quiet baffles to reduce the noise and installed a V&H Fuel Pak to calibrate the exhaust and to remove the popping and backfiring. I am still getting a bit of popping on deceleration. Now I'm wondering if upgrading the air intake will eliminate the popping completely or if what I have now is the best it can get with after market exhausts? I am not interested in more power so should I save my money or upgrade my intake? (probably V&H VO2 intake kit)

Old 09-05-2014 | 03:02 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

When I did the air box and paid for a dyno that did the trick...

Old 09-05-2014 | 03:28 AM
peg20
Road Master

Changing the AC may only make things worse. But I'm afraid I can't help you any more than that as the FuelPak is not flexible enough to make the kind of changes you need to fix this properly. You'd have been better off with a flash type tuner.

Old 09-05-2014 | 05:30 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Yea, changin the air cleaner will NOT help at all, maybe make it worse. You have a lean condition. I've used FuelPaks and frankly never kept one on long, just not much more than a stop gap fix. What you need to do is put on that aircleaner and get a better fuel device and have it dyno tuned by a competent tuner.

Old 09-05-2014 | 05:34 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Did you check for air leaks at the cyl/head ports and header/pipe joints? One little gap can cause issues. Easiest way is to start bike, put on thick leather gloves and plug exhaust w/hands. Then listen for whistle/hiss noises.

Old 09-05-2014 | 05:42 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Look into the Dobeck EJK tuner. Works well with my Python Throwback exhaust & SE intake.

Old 09-05-2014 | 05:44 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

I found that by double wrapping the quiet baffle with fiberglass packing eliminated decel popping. Just be sure to use thin wire (tightly wrapped) to hold the packing in place. The tape that V&H supplies is a joke. If you don't wrap it tight, the packing will eventually bunch up in the front of the baffle and allow less back pressure. Also sounds pretty good.....with long shots anyways.

Old 09-05-2014 | 05:52 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Can the FP add a bit of fuel at decel? That will help.

Last edited by QC; 09-05-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2014 | 08:34 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I have V&H staggards, SE AC and a fuel pack and I get some decel pop from time to time but nothing like I got before I added the fuel pak.

I guess I'd have to know what you mean by "I am still getting a bit of popping on deceleration".
Is that all the time or just some of the time?

Before I added the fuel pak I got it all the time now I only get it just some of the time.

Also many people slam the Fuel pak but for the money I think if you are only going to stage 1 spending anything more is a waste because an advanced tuner can only do so much with stage 1 setup.

Old 09-05-2014 | 10:04 AM
Den Clem
|
Novice

Bluraven I have the same situation as you. Did you change your air cleaner? If so what were the results? The reason I changed the exhaust is for looks and the original exhausts were ridiculously quiet. I just want the engine to run the best possible without spending a fortune.

Quick Reply: popping on deceleration