Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. DeLuxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014 | 01:03 PM
IdahoHacker
|
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I did not realize that.
Is it because only the rear is lowered?
Would that affect the rake?
It handled just like my Heritage...
I'm not a suspension geek by any means, but if you change the rake and nothing else, the trail should change as well. However, if you change the rake and also change the rear suspension height, then there could be a counter effect on the trail.

I think...

Old 08-19-2014 | 01:21 PM
swifty
Road Captain

deleted by user

Last edited by swifty; 08-19-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2014 | 01:47 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

My wife has a Deluxe, and I have a Fatboy. The front end on hers is lighter and easier to turn than mine. But, the Deluxe has a lower suspension, hence less shock travel. I would not want the Deluxe for 2 up riding. She NEVER rides with a passenger, so it is ok for her. I think it would bottom out with 2 full size adults on it....We use my Fatty when she does not feel like riding her own. (which is not often)

Old 08-19-2014 | 02:44 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

If you plan to use the cop windshield and all that baggage, then for sure get the Heritage. Mine, I tore all that stuff off. I'd have bought a Deluxe if I was buying new.

Old 08-19-2014 | 03:24 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

I considered a Heritage but don't care for all the studs.
And the Deluxe has WWW's and a tombstone taillight.
Then again, the Heritage is much better if you ever ride two up (with stock seating & suspension).

Last edited by mmcbeat; 08-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2014 | 04:25 PM
saddlebag
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I'm not a suspension geek by any means, but if you change the rake and nothing else, the trail should change as well. However, if you change the rake and also change the rear suspension height, then there could be a counter effect on the trail.

I think...
http://community.jpcycles.com/articl...-geometry.aspx

Old 08-19-2014 | 04:58 PM
IdahoHacker
|
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
I considered a Heritage but don't care for all the studs.
And the Deluxe has WWW's and a tombstone taillight.
Then again, the Heritage is much better if you ever ride two up (with stock seating & suspension).
That's beeeyoootiful.

I only want the bags and windshield for longer trips. Around town I want it to look like yours. This would be a no brainer if the Heritage came with quick disconnect bags.

Old 08-19-2014 | 05:00 PM
overthehill?
Road Master

I went through this process this past spring. Clearly, my priorities are probably different from yours, but that being said, what helped me is the following:
- visiting and talking with the folks at the dealer several times
- test driving several bikes several times
- asking lots of questions on this forum
- what bike 'moves you'

Everything is a compromise.....Good luck.

Ride safe.

Old 08-19-2014 | 05:14 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master

I wanted a windshield and bags when I bought my bike but I did not want all of the spots that come on the Heritage. Those damn spots cost me a lot of extra money but I love my Deluxe.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage vs. DeLuxe-early-september-2013-018.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014 | 05:22 PM
swifty
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Okay, we're all allowed one dumb question, so here's mine...

I'm not buying a new bike any time soon, but I'm certainly allowed my fantasies, and I love these two Softails. But, I'm trying to figure out the difference in base price.

The Heritage includes the studded leather saddlebags, backrest, and detachable windshield, which together are at least $1,250-$1,500 worth of options, but the price is only $250 more than the DeLuxe. Obviously, the MoCo ain't in the business of giving stuff away, so...

What are the key differences between the two models, other than the bags, backrest, and windshield? They have different mufflers, but that ain't a grand difference. Whitewalls?

What am I missing?
I think it also has a lot to do with marketing. For example the breakout is the hottest and newest bike out its also the most expensive softy. The road king is less than heritage but they also put a low reach seat on it (maybe to get a group of people that normally would not think of a touring bike) I think a lot of it is based on what they think they can get for that bike! Just my 2cts swifty

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. DeLuxe