Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT: bike starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 PM
jumccaff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT: bike starting issue

Hi guys,

I rode to Texas Rot Rally with my girlfriends (5,000 miles rtn) and on route home started having issues with the bike on 'warm' starts.

Cold cranking is fine, if she sits for 8 hours she fires up without issue, but she doesn't like to stop then start.

I can ride for 2 hours and stop for gas, only for her to complain with a wretched scratching engine sound.

Recently she started smelling like the gas from a Zippo when I'm trying to get her to turn over.

No issues with torque, acceleration or throttle - she rides fine once started.

She has been popping some in the exhausts too, so I'm wondering if this is a fuel/air mixture problem?

Here's a video which illustrates me trying to start her less than 5 minutes after a 45 minute ride:

And here's some background:

-2009 night train (EFI) bought used three years ago, came mapped.
-Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Screaming Eagle heavy breather and V&H 2-into-2 pipes
-Regular and routine maintenance performed by the book, by me.
-On a trickle charger every night.
-Spark plugs replaced in June before our trip to Texas.
-High octane gas and Amsoil synthetic oils.

Also, ever since I got her she has ridden hot, not hot like 'typical Harley hot' but '2nd degree burn - HOLY HELL HOT'. Took her to my dealer (there's only one on the island that I live on) before Texas and he couldn't diagnosis any issues because he can't read the codes (Maybe because it's a race tuner or maybe because it's a US Bike and CDN Dealer, so foreign codes?)

Where do I go from here?

I have one good tuner on the island located 2 hours north of me, but he's steep ($750+tx) if that's not likely the remedy.

I've checked the battery, the connections, the spark plugs are new. I have enough skill for maintenance but I'm no mechanic. My independent guy doesn't have a code reader and takes several weeks to diagnose and repair. While I don't want to finish off my summer with her in the shop, I don't know if I'm doing more damage to the starter or engine by cranking on a dead horse.

Ideas?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure I can be of any help since your bike is a "She"! All my knowledge is related to the Male model Harley's.

You Hot Start problem could be caused by several EFI related components but don't overlook the basics such as a failing Coil, Coil Wires, even improperly gaped plugs. The reason your bike runs hot is due to a lean Air Fuel Mixture. I've never liked the SE Tuners or Harley's canned Maps. You might want to invest in a Power Vision which will give you total control of the fuel management system. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 AM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just watched your video. It's short but I didn't like the sound of your Starter.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Try hitting the start button as soon as you turn the ignition on. In other words don't wait for the check engine light to go out.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 AM
jumccaff
Intermediate

Truly appreciated. Sounds like a trip into the mechanic is in order if it's a starter or EFI. Not sure if my mechanic can do EFI, he's a pretty old school bike builder. Dealer probably could, but the wait time for service is roughly 2 months since he's the only dealer on the island. May need to plan a trip to the mainland where there's more dealers, which sadly adds over $150 in ferry costs to the remedy.

Will also try the quick start - see if that helps!

Thanks for your ideas! Do you think I'm doing more damage possibly by waiting until mid/end of Sept. to get this fixed?

Last edited by jumccaff; 08-15-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Just watched your video. It's short but I didn't like the sound of your Starter.
I don't thinks thats the starter your hearing. its the compensator. sounds worse than it is.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts

If that battery is more than 4 yrs old id change it. Make sure all connections are clean. Even if they look clean there can be corrosion. If it started cold with the same noises,i would be inclined to say starter clutch. I thought i saw your turn signal indicators flash. If i recall, 4 or 5 flashes means low charge.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

You need to charge battery on a maintenance charger for a good 24 hours. Pull it out and have it checked free at AutoZone or Harley dealer. ( A weak worn out battery will do this) If battery has a good reading, then.... Your problem probably is you are simply letting up on the key before it starts. That probably may also cause the flooding since the cylinders are getting too much fuel charge since you are keeping it from starting by letting up and repeating your action. Not saying holding starter switch down while it is running, just longer than you are doing. However, the sprag clutch in the starter will overrun as soon as the motor starts and not hurt the starter motor, so until you get your timing a little better on the starter switch, no big deal. That bang you hear is since you did not hold switch in long enough to get both cylinders firing and let up, the engine is kicking back from the long stroke and only two cylinders. That literally throws the starter gear back into the starter motor and is the bang grr you hear.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-15-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starter clutch. Sounds like the starter clutch is going bad. I have a 2009 Fatboy and just replaced it end of last year. And it was just that, crunching noise on a warm start but a cold start is ok. I figured it's because the compression is higher on a warm engine. I read that the 103 engines now have auto compression release to fix the issue.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser

by no means an expert...but a few mentioned it could be the battery...you mentioned that you put the bike on a trickle charge every night...and coincidently...after cold starts is when she starts up fine...

putting 2 and 2 together...I figure she starts fine at cold starts after coming off of the charger...which means the battery is a charged as it will get.

Try putting the bike to sleep after riding without putting her on a charger...see if she complains at start up after that.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT: bike starting issue