Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new seat for the RSD 200mm fender

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default new seat for the RSD 200mm fender

Well I just couldnt stand the RSD bobber seat any longer on my bike so I bite the bullet and got the RSD vintage seat to go on the bike..My first thoughts where hey it looks ok but I still had my doubts, well last Sunday after a 240 mile ride on my metal bobber seat the day before I decided to drill the fender and put the new seat on. First this that happened was the new seat is NARROW all the way around I went to test fit the seat before I drilled to see if I would even like the look well it didn't really matter because since the seat is so narrow the wonderful rivets that Mustang puts on scratched the paint...I was commited now, I drilled the fender and luckily the paint didn't split or spider. Second problem I had was the damn thing sat me back so far that I was bent over to the point my back hurt sitting on my bike in the garage. I pulled the bars back even with the forks and it looks like crap. So I called bitchin seats and he told me they don't have a pan for the vinatge tank kits SO he said come on down to my house and I will build your seat and since your the guinea pig I will only charge you 775.00 for the solo and 500.00 for the pillon. He makes nice seats but damn...All I needed was for them to put 1 1/2 more foam to move me up close to the tank so my bars could be pushed forward..Nope had to get a new seat..So I called Vidals seats in Sunland Ca, its about 10 min from my work, I had nothing to lose. 2 days later I have the finished product. I am very happy with the looks, I still havent sat on the bike with it so I'm a little nervous seeing I am 500.00 into this seat now..LOL. Final dimensions 1 1/2 forward, 1 1/2 taller for back support.. and I'm 5'11 with long arms so you know the seat from mustang is WAY back stock!!

new seat for the RSD 200mm fender-2.jpg

new seat for the RSD 200mm fender-seat.jpg

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

the way it looked before the mods...

new seat for the RSD 200mm fender-photo.jpg

Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

so you bough a RSD vintage seat, but didn't like it, then talked to bitchin seats (which is what i was thinking about, just not sure i want to spend that much), and since bitchin seats is so pricey you decided to have Vidals seats make you a custom one?

i agree my RSD vintage seat sits you back really far, and I'm only 5' 7.5" tall (with the bars pushed up froward to where i want them my body looks like a side ways V) i still ride like that (actually pulled them a tad back since installed them, but its still a little bit of a reach). i'd really like to get a custom seat tailer made for me, but most to push me up closer so i can get better reach to the bars and full the gap between the seat and the tank, and even though my bike is built for looks over comfort it would be nice a little wider with a little more comfort.

did they reuse the RSD seat and build off of that or make a whole new one? and is the $500 into it for there seat? or the RSD and theirs combined?

Last edited by ADRENALINE RUSH; 08-17-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
DynaJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
so you bough a RSD vintage seat, but didn't like it, then talked to bitchin seats (which is what i was thinking about, just not sure i want to spend that much), and since bitchin seats is so pricey you decided to have Vidals seats make you a custom one?

i agree my RSD vintage seat sits you back really far, and I'm only 5' 7.5" tall (with the bars pushed up froward to where i want them my body looks like a side ways V) i still ride like that (actually pulled them a tad back since installed them, but its still a little bit of a reach). i'd really like to get a custom seat tailer made for me, but most to push me up closer so i can get better reach to the bars and full the gap between the seat and the tank, and even though my bike is built for looks over comfort it would be nice a little wider with a little more comfort.

did they reuse the RSD seat and build off of that or make a whole new one? and is the $500 into it for there seat? or the RSD and theirs combined?
I took my seat to Vidals and he reworked the seat. Basically you can do anything you want since he has your pan. The new design of the seat is good but I have to say even with another 1 1/2 it still back there..It's crazy because at my height you would think that would push me where I need to be but I really think I could have gone anoth 1/2 ot 1 inch...I like to ride with my bars pushed forward also. Bottom line I paid 325.00 for the seat and 140.00 to have it reworked so it was 465.00 total. The metal seat is back on my bike...Scrathes and all. Now to the paint shop to fix the marks left from the vintage seat..Never ends!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Trak350
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COuldn't even see your seat due to your avatar

Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
I took my seat to Vidals and he reworked the seat. Basically you can do anything you want since he has your pan. The new design of the seat is good but I have to say even with another 1 1/2 it still back there..It's crazy because at my height you would think that would push me where I need to be but I really think I could have gone anoth 1/2 ot 1 inch...I like to ride with my bars pushed forward also. Bottom line I paid 325.00 for the seat and 140.00 to have it reworked so it was 465.00 total. The metal seat is back on my bike...Scrathes and all. Now to the paint shop to fix the marks left from the vintage seat..Never ends!!!
i hear ya, it never ends...lol. i think i might send mine out to them, do you think they could do a decent job if i just ship it to them and tell them how i want it? i think id probably want about about 3" more foam in the back to push me more forward, and some extra in the front to meet the tank.

do you have any pics of it on your bike?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
i hear ya, it never ends...lol. i think i might send mine out to them, do you think they could do a decent job if i just ship it to them and tell them how i want it? i think id probably want about about 3" more foam in the back to push me more forward, and some extra in the front to meet the tank.

do you have any pics of it on your bike?
I think he can do it very easily and his turn around time is 2-3 days. As any seat guys does you can pick any material you want and he will make it happen..With 3 inches one added bounus is you will have a 2 up seat because even with 1 1/2 inches there is enough room for a quick putt 2 up. I never got a photo stupid I know..I'm down the street from him if you need something just hit me up and I can do what I can.