Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Percentage of failure ... Cam Chain Tensioner at 25,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014 | 11:46 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
What is it about highway riding that kills the chain/tensioner faster? I would think that a steady speed with only moderate torque on the chain, and steady oil pressure would make it last longer. What am I missing here?
Seem to remember on a recent post on this subject that someone mentioned an article one of the Harley mags that said town riding was more of a killer as far as tensioners are concerned, probably because the engine generally runs hotter, don't know if either town or highway makes any difference, its all down to the chains, smooth ones your probably going to be ok for 50,000 miles or more,rough sharp edge ones your going to have to replace the tensioners nearer 20,000 miles.

Old 08-11-2014 | 11:51 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by KumaRide
My friend replaced his at 80k miles on an 04 se deuce. Replaced with oem tensioners. I ride with different groups with all models of hd's and no one has ever said having tensioner issues. Check every ~30k.

I'm coming up on 52k miles on my 08 Crossbones and haven't had any issues. I don't take my bike to the shop that often but the last few times I have, not one service manager has remarked that it needs to be done (replaced). One might say that they don't know what they're doing but in my experience they do everything to get you to drop as much money whenever you are there that it's hard to believe they would not have suggested it already.

It seems I have missed the part of the service manual that talks about maintenance on this item so maybe I should read into it and at least consider getting them checked. I do mostly highway riding. All I can say is that after all this time my Bones seems to ride as good as ever.

Old 08-11-2014 | 11:53 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

Went with gear drive 60,000 miles ago and am real happy with them.

Old 08-11-2014 | 11:54 AM
Strahley
Cruiser

Just changed the ones in my 2002 FXST. They probably could have gone another 15k. I replaced them with the Cyco pads

Old 08-11-2014 | 12:21 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
What is it about highway riding that kills the chain/tensioner faster? I would think that a steady speed with only moderate torque on the chain, and steady oil pressure would make it last longer. What am I missing here?
I should have said hard highway riding 80+ MPH (this is what I have seen with 10 or so different bikes)
there is a lot of variables here the chains,spring tension,pad material and so on

Old 08-11-2014 | 01:47 PM
Skidmark63
Cruiser

newbie question. If these go bad, is that something that would be covered under HD extended warranty or is that a normal wear n tear deal?

Old 08-11-2014 | 01:49 PM
Freelander
Advanced

Originally Posted by rtbuck89
What are the actual symptoms, if any, that they need replaced?
I dont there are any obvious symptoms. Some people have mentioned increased valve noise. But as far as I can tell you just need to inspect them to really know. If you Google it there are a ton of videos and info on how to check them. Doesn't take long. Hardest part is removing the exhaust.

Old 08-11-2014 | 01:56 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Default Cam tension

There was a recent article in American iron stating that rpms opposed to milage
Determines the wear the new American I just came in today this was in last months issue

Old 08-11-2014 | 02:19 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I'm coming up on 52k miles on my 08 Crossbones and haven't had any issues. I don't take my bike to the shop that often but the last few times I have, not one service manager has remarked that it needs to be done (replaced). One might say that they don't know what they're doing but in my experience they do everything to get you to drop as much money whenever you are there that it's hard to believe they would not have suggested it already.

It seems I have missed the part of the service manual that talks about maintenance on this item so maybe I should read into it and at least consider getting them checked. I do mostly highway riding. All I can say is that after all this time my Bones seems to ride as good as ever.
Your 08 does not have cam chain tensioners. Your bike has the upgraded setup, cam plate, hydraulic tensioners, larger oil pump...

Old 08-11-2014 | 02:50 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Your 08 does not have cam chain tensioners. Your bike has the upgraded setup, cam plate, hydraulic tensioners, larger oil pump...
Um... he still has cam chain tensioners...

His are just hydraulic instead of spring tension. Also, he has the roller cam chains, so his tensioner pads should last a lot longer.....

Just sayin....

Quick Reply: Percentage of failure ... Cam Chain Tensioner at 25,000 miles