Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout -- Solo and 2 up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
thumper4fun
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breakout -- Solo and 2 up

For those of you that ride your breakout solo (remove the passenger pillion) as well as 2 up (with passenger pillion) did you remove the protective vinyl film under the passenger pillion for solo riding? If so when you install the passenger pillion and ride 2 up does the pillion pad rub the paint? There are times when I want to ride solo with the pillion pad removed but it looks like crap with the protective vinyl film showing and I don't want to remove it just to wear the paint off when I have the pillion pad on and riding 2 up. Should I remove or not?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:34 AM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no doubt the protective film is there for a purpose. My buddy saw my Breakout after I bought it and the very next day he had off from work he went and bought one. A couple of days later he gives me a call saying he's trying to remove the protective film on his bike. Wanting to know how to get the gunk off after pulling the film. I didn't have a answer but for only you should have just left it alone, now he's got a freaking mess the last I heard. I'm sure it will clean up and there are guys on here that have tips for that, good luck. I'm leaving mine on...

Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 AM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont ride without the passenger pad because its to easy to slide back off the seat ,so i just left the film on..

Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Diamondback 757
Novice

I took mine off. It peels right off with a little heat from a hair dryer. Use goo gone and it cleans right up.

To ride 2up you can put it back on, it is still sticky enough to stick back down. Or you could use blue painters tape, electrical tape, weatherstripping etc. Just make sure whatever you put down is stuck to the fender and not the pillion. If whatever you use makes a mess it wipes right off with a little goo gone.

I think the bike looks so much better without the rear pillion but I am starting to look into having the stock seat redone or a different seat with a little more support at the back. The stock one felt fine at first but seems to have crushed down a little in the back so you get that sliding feeling.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

I tore mine off. Also had the issue with some remains of the sticky film left on the fender but a hair dryer, some soapy water and a micro fibre cloth did the job.

For protection I put a thin layer of felt on the bottom of the pillion with double-sided adhesive.

Works fine so far!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 PM
BlueGhost1963
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I tore mine off. Also had the issue with some remains of the sticky film left on the fender but a hair dryer, some soapy water and a micro fibre cloth did the job.

For protection I put a thin layer of felt on the bottom of the pillion with double-sided adhesive.

Works fine so far!

that is a great idea, didn't think about doing that, thanks.