Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light While Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014 | 09:17 PM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate
Default Battery Light While Running

I took my 2012 Deluxe out for a ride today after it had been sitting in the garage for about 6 weeks, and along the ride my battery light came on.

The first time it came on for about 30 seconds as I was about 15 minutes into my tri, about 5 minutes later I parked the bike for an hour or so. After sitting for the hour the bike started right up so I continued on my ride. I rode for another hour and then the light came back on. At that point I was 10 minutes from home, so rather than stopping I figured I should just make it back home.

After shutting the bike down at home I tried to restart and it would crank for a couple seconds but then would not do anything. I let the bike sit for a half hour and with some hesitation it started up.

Any idea on what could be the issue? Typically when I'm not using the bike frequently I have it plugged into a trickle charger, and about 600mi ago the dealership replaced the voltage regulator per Harley's recall.

Old 08-06-2014 | 07:48 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

I'd start at the most likely place and have that battery and cable connections checked. Can get a lot more complicated after that.

Old 08-06-2014 | 08:13 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

The battery light comes on when voltage is low for a 5 minute period. In my case, the stator was failing and didn't produce enough voltage at low speeds. The light would come on while getting to the freeway, the go off. It would then come back on between the freeway and my garage on the way home.

It sounds like you have a charging problem. Check the voltage across the battery terminals while not running. It should be above 12.5. Then start the bike and test again. It should be >13.5 at idle, >14.5 at 2000 RPM.

The no-start followed by a difficult start 1/2 hour later indicates low battery. That's a symptom of the problem I described. Leave it on the trickle charger overnight, then do the test above. My guess is you will not see voltage rise much when the bike it running, and it will not rise as expected with RPM.

Old 08-06-2014 | 08:25 PM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the input I'll try checking the voltage as mentioned.

Old 08-06-2014 | 09:12 PM
Shadowray
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sandbox
Thanks for the input I'll try checking the voltage as mentioned.
I have the same problem on my 2012 Deluxe ...Google the problem...we have the bad year for known bad Harley voltage regulators...getting ready to take mine in for a replacement, this used to be a recall item for our year I was told.

Old 08-07-2014 | 08:57 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

I have an '07 Heritage and mine recently started doing the same thing. Only mine would throw an engine code as well. Don't remember the code now but it had to do with improper voltage.

Mine turns out to be the Stator. You will need to do as mentioned and test out the voltage. There are a couple good video's on you tube on how to do this. Sometimes you can even tell if the stator is going bad by pulling the derby cover and seeing if an odor that's not oil is present. I remember hearing this once and when I pulled my primary cover caught that smell and thinking.... that guy was right.

Here is the kicker on mine. After trying to pull the alternator I found it would only come out so far and then get caught on the inside of the inner primary wall. Great engineers at Harley Davidson. After doing a little web searching it appears that some have taken a dremel and shaved some of that inner wall off to be able to slide the alternator past it. It's either that or loosen the inner primary. Well... I haven't done anything yet but will probably go with the dremel option. I just think it a load of crap having to do something like this at all for a stator with either option. Don't know if your year will have the same issue but if it turns out to be the stator be prepared.

Last edited by lionsqrne; 08-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2014 | 10:43 AM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate

I took my 2012 Deluxe out for a ride today after it had been sitting in the garage for about 6 weeks, and along the ride my battery light came on.

The first time it came on for about 30 seconds as I was about 15 minutes into my tri, about 5 minutes later I parked the bike for an hour or so. After sitting for the hour the bike started right up so I continued on my ride. I rode for another hour and then the light came back on. At that point I was 10 minutes from home, so rather than stopping I figured I should just make it back home.

After shutting the bike down at home I tried to restart and it would crank for a couple seconds but then would not do anything. I let the bike sit for a half hour and with some hesitation it started up.

Any idea on what could be the issue? Typically when I'm not using the bike frequently I have it plugged into a trickle charger, and about 600mi ago the dealership replaced the voltage regulator per Harley's recall.
I did this test twice, once last night and another this morning. The results are; Last night: Engine off = 13.2v, Engine on = 14.6v and at 2000rpm = 12.6v Morning: Engine off = 13.2v, Engine on= 14.2v and at 2000rpm = 14.2v.

Does this point more toward the voltage regulator being the culprit?

Old 03-28-2018 | 12:41 AM
Midnite13
Novice

I did this test twice, once last night and another this morning. The results are; Last night: Engine off = 13.2v, Engine on = 14.6v and at 2000rpm = 12.6v Morning: Engine off = 13.2v, Engine on= 14.2v and at 2000rpm = 14.2v.

Does this point more toward the voltage regulator being the culprit?
in2012 harleys bad batch of regulators would cutout when the bike hit around 145 degrees f.

Old 03-28-2018 | 09:52 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Midnite13
in2012 harleys bad batch of regulators would cutout when the bike hit around 145 degrees f.
The thread is from 2014.
I would hope that they've fixed their problem by now.

That being said, I think it's a dick-head move when people ask for help, get it, but then don't post what the fix was.

But since you revived the thread; here's my input:

I had a similar problem on my 09 Heritage and figured it was either the stator or the regulator.
After trouble shooting the stator I was pretty sure my problem was likely the regulator.

During my research of my problem I found that the OEM regulators are fairly minimal performers and that Cycle Electric makes the best performing regulators available.
Turns out my problem was the regulator and not only did it fix my problem I actually think the bike runs better.

Here's the link to Cycle Electric:
http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2018 | 11:25 AM
Midnite13
Novice

Originally Posted by Bluraven
The thread is from 2014.
I would hope that they've fixed their problem by now.

That being said, I think it's a dick-head move when people ask for help, get it, but then don't post what the fix was.

But since you revived the thread; here's my input:

I had a similar problem on my 09 Heritage and figured it was either the stator or the regulator.
After trouble shooting the stator I was pretty sure my problem was likely the regulator.

During my research of my problem I found that the OEM regulators are fairly minimal performers and that Cycle Electric makes the best performing regulators available.
Turns out my problem was the regulator and not only did it fix my problem I actually think the bike runs better.

Here's the link to Cycle Electric:
http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
hey thank you I actually ordered that one the other day. I was trying to find 3 phase (who is just as good)

Quick Reply: Battery Light While Running