Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light While Running

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018 | 08:57 AM
rcmatt007
Intermediate

I am glad someone else revived this as I was about to myself.
yesterday we were taking out my wife's 08 heritage softail (about 45k on the clock and new battery). Started out and got less than 1/4 mile and check engine and battery light.

First thought is the connections (bike was just trailered and I disconnected the ground). Bike started up.... no light... a mile or so later on the freeway light is on.

Go back home and put on the trickle and many hours later trickle is still yellow... I am thinking bad battery. I read this thread, go out and disconnect ground to recheck battery full charge and green light comes on. reconnect and restart... 14.5 v when I rev it up.

Long story, but still wondering if I should check the stator (and how) or the regulator... sounds like it is a PITA to change the stator in this model

Old 04-29-2018 | 10:18 AM
Frez1812
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluraven
The thread is from 2014.
I would hope that they've fixed their problem by now.

That being said, I think it's a dick-head move when people ask for help, get it, but then don't post what the fix was.

But since you revived the thread; here's my input:

I had a similar problem on my 09 Heritage and figured it was either the stator or the regulator.
After trouble shooting the stator I was pretty sure my problem was likely the regulator.

During my research of my problem I found that the OEM regulators are fairly minimal performers and that Cycle Electric makes the best performing regulators available.
Turns out my problem was the regulator and not only did it fix my problem I actually think the bike runs better.

Here's the link to Cycle Electric:
http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
Was it hard to swap out?

Old 04-29-2018 | 10:30 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The thread is from 2014.
I would hope that they've fixed their problem by now.

That being said, I think it's a dick-head move when people ask for help, get it, but then don't post what the fix was.

But since you revived the thread; here's my input:

I had a similar problem on my 09 Heritage and figured it was either the stator or the regulator.
After trouble shooting the stator I was pretty sure my problem was likely the regulator.

During my research of my problem I found that the OEM regulators are fairly minimal performers and that Cycle Electric makes the best performing regulators available.
Turns out my problem was the regulator and not only did it fix my problem I actually think the bike runs better.

Here's the link to Cycle Electric:
http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

How difficult was it to change out the regulator? I’m needing to do that on my 06 Heritage and have been putting it off because I don’t want to tackle something that I can not finish.

Edit: my main concern is getting access to the main circuit breaker.

Last edited by ChromeJunkie; 04-29-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2018 | 11:03 AM
rcmatt007
Intermediate

Slight edit to my post above. I realized (during the sermon this morning) I had checked the voltage running whilst the bike was still plugged into the charger... unhooked it and started it up... only 12.5 volts at idle and revved up. So either a regulator or stator

Old 04-29-2018 | 12:10 PM
rcmatt007
Intermediate

update.... checked the continuity on the stator and all good

fired it up and the VAC is only around 12 volts on all three leads (unlike the youtube videos I checked, yes there are three stator leads)

looks like I have a job ahead of me

Old 04-29-2018 | 03:54 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
How difficult was it to change out the regulator?
It's plug and play.
I think it took me about 15 minutes to swap out.

The CE regulator is larger than the OEM so if you have the HD cover you'll have to live without it however they mount the same way.

Old 04-29-2018 | 08:38 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

It's plug and play.
I think it took me about 15 minutes to swap out.

The CE regulator is larger than the OEM so if you have the HD cover you'll have to live without it however they mount the same way.

Ok thanks. I was under the impression that in addition to the plug, it had 2 wires, one going to the main circuit breaker and the other to ground.