Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Roadking and Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM
cumbacheech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Roadking and Fatboy

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the main difference between the Roadking and Fatboy? Other than the windshield, bags, headlight and saddle.. I am trying to find out if there is a major difference with the frame, transmission and motor. I want to make a fatboy bagger but am not sure if it makes more sense to just start off with a bike that already has the bags...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow.

The ride is completely different. When I say completely, I mean completely.

I have a Road King Classic (and a Slim, which is similar), and my wife has a Lo.

Due to the frame difference, I feel like I'm sitting down IN the Lo, whereas on the Road King, I'm higher, and ON the bike. Center of Gravity is very different. They don't ride anything alike.

Suspension is completely different.

Comparing a '14 to a '14, I am pretty sure that, though they both have 103s in 'em, the touring bikes have an upgraded cam similar to the 255.

RK is probably 150 - 200 lbs heavier, though adding windshield, bags, freight train nacelle, running lights would make a bit of a closer comparison.

Getting down to the spec-for-spec differences, someone else will have to chime in. All I can tell you is that they are really not the same riding experience. I'd SERIOUSLY suggest just going to the dealership and checking one of each out. A RK vs a Lo or FB (or even any bagger or a Deluxe or Heritage would show the basic difference pretty immediately).

Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

You can get the most use full option from HD for long distance touring on the Roadkings that is not available on the softtails. Electronic cruse control.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, ones a Glide and ones a Softtail. 2 totally different animals.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,702 Likes on 6,681 Posts

The road king has a rubber mounted "a" engine. The Fat Boy has a solid mounted engine that is counterbalanced. The fat boy has the soft ail rear suspension which means the shocks are mounted horizontally underneath the bike. If you are debating between those two, then the better choice is a Heritage Softail.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbacheech
Hi all,

I am trying to find out if there is a major difference with the frame, transmission and motor.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Yes there is and if you want a touring bagger you should probably get a bike from the touring bagger line.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

First, you need to do some research and go into a dealer and look at the bikes.

It's like the difference between a Cadillac CTS and a Camaro.

Road King is an Electra Glide without the fairing. It has a touring frame, forks, suspension, everything is different.

The engines are 'basically' the same at their core but configured differently. The Road King uses the A configuration and is rubber mounted in the frame. The Softail/Fatboy used the B configuration and is rigid mounted to the frame and has a balancer inside the engine to keep the vibrations reduced.

Again, you really need to go look at the bikes.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer

A fatboy and a Heritage have same exact frame and shocks...

Old 08-02-2014, 09:59 AM
little red around the neck area's Avatar
little red around the neck area
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Roadking is a touring bike the other two are softails. Roadking has better ride, feel and overall more bike.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
cumbacheech
2nd Gear

Thank you all for the replies, did a bunch of research and also went to the dealer today and asked a bunch of question. I tried the Road King and the Fatboy slim a couple of years ago, liked the Road King more at the time. I am trying to make it out next week for a demo ride to test out the Fatboy and Road King again. Hopefully I can get them back to back to see what I like more.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Difference between Roadking and Fatboy