Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical connection ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014 | 05:00 PM
cmosentine
|
Tourer
Question Electrical connection ?

Hi all: I am looking to add a pair of Cycle Sounds 3-inch handlebar speakers. I have an AUX circuit running up to my passing lamps and I am wondering if I can use that same circuit to power the amp. As far as I can tell the only load on AUX are the passing lamps which are LED and therefore not that much load. Cycle Sound says their amp uses 2-3 amps and the AUX circuit is good for 15 amps.

So, is this doable? Is it wise? Or is there another way to power the amp which is better for the bike? I do want the amp switched by the AUX circuit so maybe a relay is better?

Thanks a bunch, Chris.

Old 07-27-2014 | 05:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know what the aux passing lamps are? If they flash I would not utilize that wire for a power supply. I powered my J&M handle bar speakers directly from the battery posts with an inline fuse and switch. I fed some 14ga wire up under the fuel tank above the motor to the fork tree cover and tied the connections up behind the fork cover. This does not get any interference from the factory electronics, nor does it affect the factory stuff.

Old 07-27-2014 | 05:34 PM
jam436
Supporter

One thing to consider is that the aux. light power circuit may be switched, that is it may go off when you turn on the brights - at least that's how it works on my Slim...

Old 07-27-2014 | 06:00 PM
cmosentine
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam436
One thing to consider is that the aux. light power circuit may be switched, that is it may go off when you turn on the brights - at least that's how it works on my Slim...
Actually it is not. When I put on may lamps, HD had a harness adaptor that plugged into the open AUX circuit plug under the tank. No more need to power off of the original design which indeed was tied to the headlight.

Old 07-27-2014 | 06:05 PM
cmosentine
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by checkers
I don't know what the aux passing lamps are? If they flash I would not utilize that wire for a power supply. I powered my J&M handle bar speakers directly from the battery posts with an inline fuse and switch. I fed some 14ga wire up under the fuel tank above the motor to the fork tree cover and tied the connections up behind the fork cover. This does not get any interference from the factory electronics, nor does it affect the factory stuff.
Some people call them spot lamps, but they are the two small lights adjacent to the headlight. A buddy of mine recommended exactly what you have done which does sound like a good plan. I would still install a relay so the amp will only some on when AUX is energized.

BTW, when you ran the wire, did you try to sneak the wires down the same tunnel as the factory wiring?

Old 07-27-2014 | 09:53 PM
rgrant2214
2nd Gear

What kind of bike?on my 13 fatboy there is a plug under the front of the gas tank that plugs right into the amp wiring harness.

Originally Posted by cmosentine
Hi all: I am looking to add a pair of Cycle Sounds 3-inch handlebar speakers. I have an AUX circuit running up to my passing lamps and I am wondering if I can use that same circuit to power the amp. As far as I can tell the only load on AUX are the passing lamps which are LED and therefore not that much load. Cycle Sound says their amp uses 2-3 amps and the AUX circuit is good for 15 amps.

So, is this doable? Is it wise? Or is there another way to power the amp which is better for the bike? I do want the amp switched by the AUX circuit so maybe a relay is better?

Thanks a bunch, Chris.