Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King VS. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014 | 10:27 AM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Wow. I didn't think I would get this many replies, and even start a show of manliness. Ha ha

Yesterday I took out a RK from my local dealer. They only allow about 10 miles on the test rides, but I took it through an all around ride - highway, winding backroads and slow neighborhood riding. I can definitely see how the RK is assigned the description, "top heavy". I am 5' 10", and could almost get flat footed - I'd probably need to lower the suspension a hair just to be totally comfortable. Only issue is, I don't see myself being able to get past the RK without bags. I do plan on taking the girl on rides (some may be 2-3+ hours at a time, with a break every so often), so the Softail with a good seat may be the way to go. After looking over this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...oad-kings.html

I don't really have any desire to EVER take a set of bags off of a RK unless it is to put them on a softail. They just look way too cluttered in the rear, and the side panels are just plain gawdy. You can definitely tell just by the molding in the side covers that it is "missing something" in the rear.

Man oh man... I think the Deluxe is the way to go. I would do Heritage, but I don't like the fender lights. Why buy a Heritage when I have to replace the fenders with Deluxe fenders? I've spent time replacing fenders, etc. on my Night Train... Look where that got me. I spent a bunch of money trying to turn it into a Deluxe, and given I had a badass Train, I eventually cut my losses while I could still make a buck/break even, and move up from the 88ci/5sp to a 96ci/6sp, and give it a bag treatment.

So I guess now I have to figure out the rest of a Deluxe build? Sounds to me like the only thing turning me towards a RK would be the circumstance that I would be leaving the bags on all the time (when I'm not). I know the jist of what I'll be doing, but...

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good 2-up seat for the Deluxe? I want to make sure momma is happy when she is back there.

Old 07-31-2014 | 03:29 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Recently, I demo'd a new Deluxe and a StreetGlide.
(Livermore Harley has those demo days often)
The Deluxe rode like a Cadillac compared to the StreetGlide.
That thing was a bucket. The Deluxe exc for the quiet exhaust
was like my 00 Heritage on steroids.
Although, the 02 Electra Glide I had for a short time
(sad story there!!)
out did em all !!

I have ridden a few Roadkings and they are very nice.

Set up correctly, you can get that down in the bike feel.
RK's until this year came with lousy handlbars. They now
have something similar to the older Heritage bars.
So good bars and a good seat, like that low Mustang Tour
seat and maybe drop the back an inch, I'm sure an RK
would be great.
I just miss that Batwing

Old 07-31-2014 | 04:00 PM
Callgood
Tourer

Buckinfitch, that is a very sweet RK.

Old 07-31-2014 | 04:02 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
Wow. I didn't think I would get this many replies, and even start a show of manliness. Ha ha

Yesterday I took out a RK from my local dealer. They only allow about 10 miles on the test rides, but I took it through an all around ride - highway, winding backroads and slow neighborhood riding. I can definitely see how the RK is assigned the description, "top heavy". I am 5' 10", and could almost get flat footed - I'd probably need to lower the suspension a hair just to be totally comfortable. Only issue is, I don't see myself being able to get past the RK without bags. I do plan on taking the girl on rides (some may be 2-3+ hours at a time, with a break every so often), so the Softail with a good seat may be the way to go. After looking over this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...oad-kings.html

I don't really have any desire to EVER take a set of bags off of a RK unless it is to put them on a softail. They just look way too cluttered in the rear, and the side panels are just plain gawdy. You can definitely tell just by the molding in the side covers that it is "missing something" in the rear.

Man oh man... I think the Deluxe is the way to go. I would do Heritage, but I don't like the fender lights. Why buy a Heritage when I have to replace the fenders with Deluxe fenders? I've spent time replacing fenders, etc. on my Night Train... Look where that got me. I spent a bunch of money trying to turn it into a Deluxe, and given I had a badass Train, I eventually cut my losses while I could still make a buck/break even, and move up from the 88ci/5sp to a 96ci/6sp, and give it a bag treatment.

So I guess now I have to figure out the rest of a Deluxe build? Sounds to me like the only thing turning me towards a RK would be the circumstance that I would be leaving the bags on all the time (when I'm not). I know the jist of what I'll be doing, but...

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good 2-up seat for the Deluxe? I want to make sure momma is happy when she is back there.
Well the Top heavy feeling actually goes away once you own the King and put on around 1k miles you get fully used to it. Also make sure you have good riding boots with a higher heel that makes a huge difference holding the King up at a stop! Install a lower seat and even better. As far as looks goes in stock form i agree 100% that a Deluxe looks better. Customize the King a certain way and then its a wash. Now for me the deluxe dont even come close to the 2014 CVO King!! But the CVO is a entire different animal compared to the standard. Alot of people dont even know its a Road King when they ask me about it!

Old 07-31-2014 | 04:11 PM
Callgood
Tourer

I have the Mustang touring seat for my Heritage that I bought when we did a trip. It made a huge difference. I only used it once then bought the Limited. I would sell it to you but I don't think it would fit a new model.
I understand about the top heavy feeling but you do get used to it and it only feels that way when going slow. I am only 5'6 and had mean city lower my seat and have no problem handling it. Now, in parking lots and such where I have to push it back is another story.
It sounds like you are set on a Deluxe and I don't blame you one bit. They are very cool.

Old 07-31-2014 | 04:44 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

+1 on that Mustang seat (best comfort-I've had em all)

Originally Posted by Callgood
I have the Mustang touring seat for my Heritage that I bought when we did a trip. It made a huge difference. I only used it once then bought the Limited. I would sell it to you but I don't think it would fit a new model.
I understand about the top heavy feeling but you do get used to it and it only feels that way when going slow. I am only 5'6 and had mean city lower my seat and have no problem handling it. Now, in parking lots and such where I have to push it back is another story.
It sounds like you are set on a Deluxe and I don't blame you one bit. They are very cool.

Old 07-31-2014 | 05:26 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by byersmtrco

would be great.
Originally Posted by Callgood
Buckinfitch, that is a very sweet RK.
thanks... and with the Ohlins and Mustang seat and Santee mini-apes, I got that 'down in the bike' thing goin' on.

Old 07-31-2014 | 05:32 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Recently, I demo'd a new Deluxe and a StreetGlide.
(Livermore Harley has those demo days often)
The Deluxe rode like a Cadillac compared to the StreetGlide.
That thing was a bucket. The Deluxe exc for the quiet exhaust
was like my 00 Heritage on steroids.
Although, the 02 Electra Glide I had for a short time
(sad story there!!)
out did em all !!

would be great.
I just miss that Batwing
There's nothing you can do to a tourer that would allow you sit in the bike rather on it. It is something that is unique to softails because of how the swing arm and frame connects and pivots. The seat is right in between where the swing arm and frame connect which literally sits you "in" the bike. There's nothing like a softail because of it's unique frame. No modern motorcycle has the classic beauty of a softail and that is what their most known for. It is all about getting what you want most and not think one bike has it all. It is always give and take and you simply live with the compromise.

Old 07-31-2014 | 06:21 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
There's nothing you can do to a tourer that would allow you sit in the bike rather on it. It is something that is unique to softails because of how the swing arm and frame connects and pivots. The seat is right in between where the swing arm and frame connect which literally sits you "in" the bike. There's nothing like a softail because of it's unique frame. No modern motorcycle has the classic beauty of a softail and that is what their most known for. It is all about getting what you want most and not think one bike has it all. It is always give and take and you simply live with the compromise.
You are definitely right on one thing - the Softail definitely gives you the cleanest, classic look. Compromising can be at the minimum - if all I am looking for is the ability to have stretched hard bags, I'll just get the cyclevisions kit, and put stretched bags on the Deluxe. I guess I just want to make sure I get something I'm going to keep for a while - at least long enough to pay it off, ha ha. Something that I can do long rides with the girl on the back (I rode to TX and back on the "Dark Knight", straight through, with a Badlander seat + 18" apes). I know I can handle about anything, lol.

So here is what I have gathered:

- 2008+ Deluxe
- 21 front/16 rear fat spokes
- 18" internally wired apes w/ stainless braided cables
- 4" rear fender stretch
- Cyclevisions mount kit with stretched bags & stretched filler panels
- 36" cholos
- Some type of air cleaner Maybe an RSD Nostalgia velocity stack, or something similar.
- Progressive kit up front
- Maybe the shotgun shock, or legends air ride.
- A mix of powdercoat and chrome, not sure on where I would go with the color. Black and something else maybe.
- Vintage HD emblems
- Custom running boards made from something crafty
- Custom solo seat from (maybe) Redbeard Leather?
- Mustang touring seat for 2-up
- Smoked turn signals lenses, tail light lense. Yellow tinted passing lamps
- Fork mounted wind deflectors (maybe)

The list goes on I'm sure.

Old 07-31-2014 | 06:36 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
You are definitely right on one thing - the Softail definitely gives you the cleanest, classic look. Compromising can be at the minimum - if all I am looking for is the ability to have stretched hard bags, I'll just get the cyclevisions kit, and put stretched bags on the Deluxe. I guess I just want to make sure I get something I'm going to keep for a while - at least long enough to pay it off, ha ha. Something that I can do long rides with the girl on the back (I rode to TX and back on the "Dark Knight", straight through, with a Badlander seat + 18" apes). I know I can handle about anything, lol.

So here is what I have gathered:

- 2008+ Deluxe
- 21 front/16 rear fat spokes
- 18" internally wired apes w/ stainless braided cables
- 4" rear fender stretch
- Cyclevisions mount kit with stretched bags & stretched filler panels
- 36" cholos
- Some type of air cleaner Maybe an RSD Nostalgia velocity stack, or something similar.
- Progressive kit up front
- Maybe the shotgun shock, or legends air ride.
- A mix of powdercoat and chrome, not sure on where I would go with the color. Black and something else maybe.
- Vintage HD emblems
- Custom running boards made from something crafty
- Custom solo seat from (maybe) Redbeard Leather?
- Mustang touring seat for 2-up
- Smoked turn signals lenses, tail light lense. Yellow tinted passing lamps
- Fork mounted wind deflectors (maybe)

The list goes on I'm sure.
Dude that sounds awesome. I plan to do something similar with my other softail. So far all I have is 39 inch fishtail true duals on it. I am going to wait until it is paid off in a couple years before I continue with the mods.

Quick Reply: Road King VS. Deluxe