Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Plan vs. Do it you self?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Plan vs. Do it you self?

Hello everyone,

I just rode my first HD last Saturday as I took delivery on my 06 FLSTF. Totally different than the 1400 Intruder I have had since 03. Selling it shortly.

So here is the question. The dealer, who did a courtesy delivery of an Overseas Military Sales offered for $1,500 for a Lifetime Service Contract for the service maintenance (every 2500 miles and the "big ones". I do not believe this includes tires and brakes or stuff. thisis not an extended service which I declined to take.

I generally have done all my own work on bikes, cars and the like to include 0il and general wrenching tips given a service manual. Here are mythe questions that I am hoping you folks can give me some insight on:

1. Not doing the service intervals at the dealer void Factory Warrantee? I have them installan SE intake and the V&H Long Shots Staggered (and FuelPak). They stand behind their work from factorywarrantee perspective.
2. $1500 buys lots and lots of oil but looking at the check list she presented, most of it is check this, check that stuff - Do you need to be a certified HD Tech to service these things?
3. Is this a deal worth taking for life time service on this bike (Plan to keep this bike for ever and ever).

Great Board!!! Appreciate your thoughts...
Strgzr

Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
tattooedmofo55
Cruiser
Default RE: Service Plan vs. Do it you self?

better take the service contract ,working on it ur self will void warranty.plus the 10k mile service is at least $500 alone,so its probably a good deal.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: tattooedmofo55

better take the service contract ,working on it ur self will void warranty.plus the 10k mile service is at least $500 alone,so its probably a good deal.
B.S. servicing a Harley yourself will not void your warranty. Who told you that foolishness?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"lifetime"?..yours?..for as long as you own it?
I figure it costs me about $50 bucks each time I service my bike, so for me that would be 30 service trips...at 3 services a year thats about 10 years before I broke even..

not worth it IMO, but I like working on my bike. Some folks don't and would prefer to pay for services to free up riding time, no harm in that either.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Never heard that 'self servicing' will void a warranty. And I've never read where any of those service intervals were 'required' services. Just keep good records, including dates, mileage,and reciepts for your service, incase any issues arise during the regular warranty period.

Other than the 500 mile service that the dealer performed free (minus fluid charges), I've done practically all of the fluid changes, inspections, etc that are spelled out clearly in the owners manual. I've only had the bike 'serviced' while on the road. If you've done any mechanical work in the past, they are all routine. But then again, I own a carbed EVO...Pretty basic stuff. Having a jack makes things easier.

Trust me, the first time you take your bike to a dealer (or independent), that puts the fastners in the wrong location, doesn't tighten things down, or some mysterious scratch/ding appears on your bike....You'll be doing the services yourself.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It will also cost you extra for syn3 at the st^^^dealership, for your air cleaners and even chrome oil filters...

If you financed your bike you can get away with a PPMantence program for a few extra dollars per month...

If you are mechanically inclined, you could either start servicing your bike after the PPM ends.. 3years? or forgo
the PPM and do it yourself all the time, which is rather nice cause you can put any kind of oil in your bike, and all
the other stuff as well, but you better know what you are doing!! and keep your receipts

Old 04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a 3 yr / 20k mile service plan when I bought my 06 FLSTI. For me, it was a matter of convenience. All scheduled maintance is included, plus a free loaner bike. I could honestly say that I would not get all of the servicing done at the right time if I was doing it myself in my garage. I put all the shiny parts on and I highly doubt I will bring it to the stealer for any of the big add-ons that I want to do, but I'lllet the stealer deal with the waste oil, fluids, etc.

I could change the oil in my car too, but I still bring that to the quick-lube.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

Thanks,

No one told me this, I was only wondering... Servicing technicians make me nervous. I am mechanically inclined however.I believe as with nearly all my vehicles, drive it off the lot and DONT TAKE IT BACK. Keep wrenches out unless a really big problem arises. My vehicles tend to last longer. To many times I have had cars (not bikes at this point) in for service only to find I have more problems down the road to deal with. Document andkeepdates, mileage,and recieptsas stated... This sounds like a viable plan...

Thanks Folks!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

It is a pretty well known fact in the eletronics industry that extended service plans/warrantys are hose jobs. I'm guessing the same thing for this. I think you're on the right path, particularly if you already have a lot of hands on experience. Besides saving money, there is the satifaction of doing it yourself. I agree with you totally...unless catastrophic failure is involved, do it yourself if possible.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard you need the dealer to do the 500 mile or 1000 mile service (the first service that you model calls for) for them to warrenty the bike. It is the most important service since everything moves,wears,stretches etc more on a new bike than one that has a few miles on it.

other than that service the bike yourself. Get a manual and follow what is recommended. Nothing is too hard or out of the ordinary.

David

Quick Reply: Service Plan vs. Do it you self?