Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
soulman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Ignition switch?

Good morning all,
New member here (I'll post an intro in a while) but first I've got a question for those who are mechanically inclined.
I've got a 1994 Heritage Softail (I'm the original owner) and just got it out several days ago now that the weathers coming around. Anyway several times now when turning the ignition switch, nothing happens, no lights, nothing. As if the battery is dead (but it isn't). So far each time if I turn the switch on and off seval times eventually it will make contact.
I'm thinking that maybe the switch contacts have oxidized just enough over the winter months that it is effecting the ignition ...........does this sound probable?
Like I said, the battery seems plenty strong so I dont think it's the problem but then again I am no mechanic.
Any ideas are appreciated.
thanks
-soulman

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent Ignition switch?

I would start with removing , wire brush both the battery terminals and theterminal endson the cables before looking any further. It is the biggest source of the problem you are experiencing.

If that doesn't do it, check the back of the ignition switch for corosion or loose connections.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
fmbeach
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent Ignition switch?

Soulman,

I have a similar problem with my '97 Heritage. Ocassionally lose head and tail lights (but not dash lights)due to a corroded connection in the ignition switch. They come back after I work (turn) the switch a couple of times.

Ispray the switch with contact cleaner every few months to clean the connection and then hit the switch with Corrosion-X (boat product) to protect. Mine is due as I lost lights 4x last evening on a dinner cruise.

Usually happens after I have left the bike out overnight (dew) or after riding in the rain. Scoot got both along with salt air in Daytona last month.

Probably condensation corrosion in your case. A good cleaning and protection and you should be good to go.

Glenn